Estimated Population in Chastity

Discussion in 'Chastity and orgasm denial' started by Peter Rabbit, May 27, 2018.

Random Thread
  1. Lazlo Toth

Lazlo Toth C/D on the TomAllen-Rectrix scale: 9/9

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    7:31 PM
    That is extremely funny.

I love it.

Peter Rabbit and Chaste J. like this.
  2. OhDear!

OhDear! Active member

Local Time:
    7:31 PM
    We bought ours online. However, when up at a swingers meet the weekend before last, we stopped at a local sex shop on the way out. They had a small selection of cages there. So maybe so. :D

jack2802 likes this.
  3. Dr MBogo

Dr MBogo You heard the lady! In you go.....

Local Time:
    9:31 PM
    LOL-very true! I got a custom-made Evotion Bijou designed to be used with a frenulum piercing. I definitely have more motivation to wear it consistently because of the price. Basically, I put it on when it arrived and handed the key to my beautiful wife/KH about 9 months ago, and it’s only come off for a few minutes at a time for cleaning, and 4 times total for me to jerk off and cum. (Only once so far in 2019). My cage is going nowhere anytime soon!

4. locked_top

locked_top Caged tiger

USA
    Local Time:
    50,000 in the United States. No more than that.

5. Giles_English

Giles_English Chaste slave

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    2:31 AM
    Ah, but leather dominatrixes are a male fantasy, sure one that some women like to play to, but still catering for the male gaze and hardly a picture of empowered womanhood. The male chastity device is special because it has such a high impact on the dynamic, with a very low overhead. It's the perfect slippery slope.

6. Giles_English

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    So show us your working?

7. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit I'm her bunny

USA
    Local Time:
    10:31 PM
    This is hilarious. I thought I was skewing the curve! Thanks!! ;)

I have a box of old off-the-shelf devices I need to get rid of. They have donation boxes for clothes and shoes in parking lots around where I live, but not male chastity devices. :p

PawEee and Brenda like this.
  8. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I know I have at least 15 that have been put to pasture. A couple I will probably keep just because I like the different varieties in size or end of cage. The rest are dead soldiers.

Brenda likes this.
  9. Ilikebond

Ilikebond Long term member

Local Time:

No doubt. Cages are like concealed carry holsters. You have to try a bunch until you find one that fits you best.

One that is perfect for you may not be good for someone else.

Very individual.

Brenda, OhDear! and krystalasbaby like this.
  10. krystalasbaby

krystalasbaby krystalasbaby

(Retired) sissy baby
    Thunder Bay, Ontario. Canada
    Local Time:
    I totally agree, i have a sissy friend who wears on and that one is totally uncomfortable for me so yes each person in chastity has what fits them the best.
    And as for the question i can not say how many are locked up but it is becoming a more open item to talk about in some circles so there may appear to be more.

Brenda likes this.
  11. Sissy_Denise

Sissy_Denise Active Sissylander

Local Time:
    Just remember to use the appropriate, one. :rolleyes:
    Remember, as the Marines say, "This is my rifle, this is my gun, the rifle's for shooting, my gun is for fun." :)

njcuckold, Brenda and Ms. Joanne like this.
  12. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit I'm her bunny

USA
    Local Time:
    Bumping this thread for those active in the other one on this topic. It took a little effort to find.

I’m trying to see if we did a poll on how many chastity devices you own. I thought we did.

13. GermanSub82

GermanSub82 Long term member

Germany, Neu-Ulm
    Local Time:
    4:31 AM
    Well, if that female superiority party finally gets to reign the world, and every male were to be kept in chastity (maybe with the addendum of a clear marker like a three color LED around the neck: green (locked and owned), yellow (locked but unowned), red (unlocked)) that would be easier.

(Of course red would only be allowed while a female has approved of it)

Up until then it is hard to estimate, but I am sure it has significantly increased lately.

PawEee likes this.
  14. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    3:31 AM
    Love this idea!

15. Giles_English

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I was chatting to @firelight when I realised there's a refinement to the Giles Equation:

%Kinky Couples = 20%

%People in Couples = 20%

%Femdom Kinky Couples = 50%

%Women Who orgasm through PIV = 20%

So assuming that kinky Femdom couples experiment until they've evolved a repertoire that is low effort for her, we can guess:

% of Men in Developed World Actively Involved in Chastity =

%People In Couples x %Kinky Couples X %Femdom Kinky Couples x (100- %Women Who Orgasm Through PIV)

= 20% x 20% x 50% x 80%

= 1.6%

Locked4Her215 likes this.
  16. firelight

firelight Member

UK, Herts
    Local Time:
    3:31 AM
    I think the N value will incease during the global lockdown. Great thinking Giles

17. handsolo

handsolo Long term member

Local Time:
    20% kinky couples does not mean they all engage in BDSM/power play dynamics. Nowhere near 50% of kinky couples are Femdom. The scene is overwhelmingly Maledom, but also disproportionately gay, and those couples would be more likely to delve into more complex kink like chastity. Those factors need to be considered in an air grab.

Wild guess is a small fraction of a percent of the overall population even experiment with male chastity with or without devices.

One gauge would be to survey the Chinese sites. Compare the number of listings and sales of chastity devices to a product that is measurably or universally owned, and draw a conclusion.

I would say the number of clearly useless or hilariously poorly designed Chinese options speaks to the lack of serious interest.

18. handsolo

Local Time:
    If one fails it can lead to an awkward conversation in a public restroom.
    A good one eliminates unintentional discharges.

njcuckold and Lazlo Toth like this.
  19. Carry_a_Load

Carry_a_Load Member

Local Time:
    Yes I agree i have not seen chastity devices in any of the adult stores in my area. Not even inexpensive ones that would be more likely to sell. I actually love the math being used to look at numbers it is very interesting.

20. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    My equation:

total devices ordered, divided by 8 (guessing that is the average number of cages someone buys, some more some less).

minus 80% (men that never actually bring it up to their partner)

minus 50% (men with partners that won’t participate) I think it’s a 50/50 shot once you actually ask them.

So for example; one million devices sold, divided by 8 devices per person equals 125,000 minus 80 percent that never enter any kind of relationship equals 25000. Minus 50 percent of a chance their partner agrees equals 12,500 for that year. Having been watching people come and go, I would say it’s almost equal people giving up as just starting.

just my thinking anyway

tvalex likes this.
  21. Giles_English

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Nice!

If as many people abandon the fetish as enter it each year, suppose they stay in 2 years? (I read somewhere that that was the magic number for how long you can derail a relationship's "natural" progression).

Devices x 2 x 12.5% x 20% x 50% = 2.5%

Miller sales are reputed to be about 100,000 a year.

So that gives us 2,500 chastity fetishists.

There are roughly 50M adult males in the USA (dwarfs the figures for UK and Australia etc.)

That gives us 0.005%.

22. Giles_English

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Ah but the 20% comes from an Irish sex survey, which simply asked: "Have you done BDSM".

I'm assuming 50/50 based on a Quebec survey of sexual fantasies, which yielded roughly half of each gender has dominant fantasies, and half submissive (possible to have both, though.)

(And actually, it just occurs to me that the baseline chance of having congruent fantasies is 50% x 50%, yielding %25... rather near that 20%, which suggests that if your fantasies do match, you have a good chance exploring them.)

I think that Maledom is over-represented in the RL and online BDSM scene: a lot of people do kink in the bedroom and feel no need to develop an online identity around it, or to go to clubs etc.

Finally, chastity has to be the simplest, most low maintenance, low effort manifestation of Femdom possible. Once the device is on, it's Femdom even if she doesn't do any actual dominating. So my assumption is, that for some couples, male chastity becomes a go to.

Tom Allen and Lazlo Toth like this.
  23. handsolo

Local Time:
    Newspaper survey, self-reporters. Respondents would be much more likely to be kinky. No statistical inference can be drawn.

Same problem with disproportionate reporting, and fantasies do not translate directly to activities. People fantasize about rape, figures from the occult and/or fiction, any number of things they would find disagreeable or even physically impossible.

Doubtless. It remains that men exercise kink much more than women. By any measure, attendance at events, membership on fora, proportions of kinksters in same-sex couples, men are more driven to it. Hence, a lot of the Bedroom BDSMers are wives and girlfriends dutifully going through the motions. I suspect this is the cause of the disproportionate Maledom population, as it's easier to go along as a sub/bottom than as a dom(me)/top. Less initiative is required, certainly.

Impossible to contradict with data, but this forum is predominantly men trying to coax their partners into participating in their kink, or looking for someone who will. There are no "straight" male professional keyholders, but the inverse is relatively common. Supply and demand. That little effort seems to be facing a significant stigma.

Your own ballpark figures in post 96 align with chastity play (with devices) representing a tiny proportion of the small minority of active power play fetsihists. As mentioned, mainstream adult toy stores are unlikely to even carry an inexpensive plastic knockoff. No demand.

24. Giles_English

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    All good points.

The "How do I convince my wife to lock me" phenomenon: I think this reflects that men on chastity forums are usually putting the cart before the horse and trying to introduce chastity before they introduce femdom. I think these men are a vanishingly small minority compared to the numbers of men involved in femdom and thus chastity.

Lack of presence in mainstream sex shops: I've not been into a sex shop since the 1990s! Most people buy online, and most big retailers like Lovehoney have a chastity section. The profusion of knockoffs from China also suggests a market. Western chastity device makers might be monetising a kink, but Chinese ones will only do it if it's worth while.

Going back to the the Giles Equation:

%People In Couples x %KinkyCouples X %KinkyAndFemdom x %FemdomAndChastity

= 20% x ? x

Stats cited in a Marie Clair article;
    A 1990 Kinsey Institute report states that 5 to 10 percent of the U.S. population engages in sadomasochism at least an occasional basis. Around 11 percent of men and 17 percent of women reported trying bondage. And a 2005 survey conducted by Durex reports that 36 percent of adults in the United States use masks, blindfolds, and bondage tools during sex, compared to 20 percent worldwide. ​

So that Irish survey sounds like it was in the right ballpark. The Kinsey Institute study will have been a proper one, and we would expect participation to have gone up since the Internet revolution.

So %KinkyCouples = 20% really does seem a reasonable figure.

20% x 20% = 4% so...

Giles Equation = 4% x %KinkyAndFemdom x %FemdomAndChastity

It therefore hinges on the last two variables:

I think if you are doing kink as a couple, you eventually settle into your D/s orientations, so that Quebec survey seems indicative of 50/50. And if a woman is in charge and not enthusiastic about penetration, then why not use chastity at least some of the time? Hence my 50% x 80%, giving 1.6%

However, I think the lowest realistic figure for each is 25%, giving 0.1%.

This calculation neglects chastity in the gay subcultures and also single self lockers etc.

So I think it's reasonable to say:

% of adult 1st world males using a chastity device from time to time = between 0.1% to 2%

For comparison, at least 50% of 1st world women have used a vibrator, implying a much larger ownership.

25. handsolo

Local Time:
    That has some merit, but I've seen no widespread evidence of chastity device play in the local or the general online kink communities, but I've seen many men trying to coax their partners into going along with their kinks generally, so the phenomenon is hardly unique to chastity play. These are largely suppositions on both our parts (certainly mine, anyway), and probably not worth much further discussion.

Nobody suggests there is not a market, but unquestionably the availability of mainstream sex toys to chastity devices is in the thousands to one range. That suggests the absence of a market, hence, absence of users.

Again, if you'll entertain another supposition, I'd guess that no woman ever sees 90% of chastity devices sold. They are either a kink hidden from a significant other, or more likely, indulged in by a man currently outside a relationship.

5-10% occasionally engaging in BDSM does not correlate to 20% actively participating in BDSM, as evidenced by the relatively small numbers that have tried bondage. Also, the gap between male and female respondents suggests a) lesbian couples are engaging in bondage much more than straight or gay couples, b) that women engage in self bondage much more than men, c) that the respondents understood the question differently, i.e. that "trying bondage" meant "being tied," and/or d) the answer is generally unreliable, as some bias is affecting the answers.

The 36% figure is unusefully broad, as it groups mild implements like masks and blindfolds broadly with "bondage tools," and can't be correlated to "lifestyle" level play.

In any event, 20% is at least double an accurate number (for the US) of "occasional" players, and since no number is cited for active BDSM practitioners, the number can assumed to be much smaller than the 5-10% figure.

The Quebec survey speaks to fantasies. Again, men are far more likely than women to indulge their fantasies, to the tune of something like 10:1 (judging by studies on paraphilia). It also does not follow that a dominant female is uninterested in penetration. They certainly exist, but I do not personally know any from my years circulating socially in the local scene, suggesting they would be an exception rather than a rule. Surveys on women's preferences during sex are innumerable, and while orgasm from penetration alone are unusual, interest in penetration is widespread.

This calculation also neglects chastity in the gay subcultures and single self lockers etc.

Disregarding that, my observations at events up to a regional level suggest the femdom couple population is closer to 10% of the kink community, and gauging by online activity, that proportion is likely similar among general BDSM practitioners.

The 2% figure is hopelessly inflated, or everyone would be bumping into the occasional cage in the locker room. The lower end may be in the ballpark,but...

Compare that figure, account for the percentage of men that have used a vibrator, then take a look at the offerings for them compared to chastity devices. The number of men that have tried on a chastity device might be a reasonable fraction of a percent, but the number that have used a device to actually enforce chastity is much smaller, and those that do so under the direction of a partner tinier still.

As futher circumstantial evidence, mainstream entertainment references to BDSM in at least an oblique or joking sense are common, from using a dominatrix character to give a comic villain a comeuppance, to bondage scenes wedged into action and drama films dating back to Perils of Pauline, while mainstream references to chastity are nearly non-existent.

Returning to your calculation: %People In Couples x %KinkyCouples X %KinkyAndFemdom x %FemdomAndChastity The numbers appear to to me to be 65%x5%(optimistically)x10%x10%(wildly optimistically) which translates to 0.0325%, which to reiterate, includes two numbers that are almost certainly inflated. This type of number relates reasonably well to observable sales and commercial offerings of chastity products, IMO.

I'm afraid there is no silent minority.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice