Why ' cis ' ? why even bother with it

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by filltee, Jun 30, 2019.

1. henry58

henry58 Long term member

Local Time:
    10:24 AM
    Pretty much yes to everything you say. But would suggest that without reference points, one is always going to struggle to find the you, in you!

There are 2 kinds of support; emotional and practical, the problem is, the first appears to trump the second and my view is that it suits ideology debate rather than supporting the person. Both support mechanisms has a role to play.

A significant part of the confusion and anxiety is not caused by lack of acceptance. It's caused by the central nervous system at odds with it's own biology, The person's mind and body fighting for a stronghold, it's what human's do, fight or flight when faced with trauma.

The science doesn't actually help very much when the individual is in this fight, it's not visible. The mind however has all of the cards, and it translates visual images (one looking in the mirror) as an enemy of itself. The idea that if one is smothered in love and acceptance doesn't help either, it just accelerates the confusion when essentially, after the euphoria of mass love and political acceptance has died down, the person still feels at war with oneself.

So with a lobby of people chanting for tolerance and acceptance as the magic key to salvation, and a person still feeling their world is crumbling, in their minds they have nowhere else to turn because the big fix didn't work.

Emotional and scientific support needs to work together to help people overcome the dreadful personal battles they face, absenting one over the other will not provide what is needed.

Counselling is certainly important both fore and aft of transition, but it is now loaded to shepherd the person through the various phases, rather than assess whether a person has other deeper issues. Psychotherapy is needed not counselling, to help unlock the demons and provide the person with the tools they need to live a fulfilling life.

Activists who think that using loud words and shutting down down balanced discourse by bringing out the hater/fascist card and lobbying friendly politicians to help drive through their agendas, is only hurting one group of people... and it isn't me.

I care that we are losing people to suicide at a rate far higher than any national average and against a growing culture of political ideology as the so called answer to the trans community struggles, this figure is getting worse. But as most ideologies will tell you, it's always someone else fault.

For you personally, i will say this; the answer to your battle is not whether you are a man or woman, it's whether you can find the inner peace you need to make the best choices for you. You will need practical and emotional support, not legal changes to linguistics. Also, hold on to the notion that more people care about you than you could imagine and they don't always manifest in the obvious places.

Good luck my friend, the world needs people alive and well.

2. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    Well I think you are wrong a trans male or female is not a normal male or female. normal males and females were born that way... its just a fact... not a judgement

I dont need a grip thanks its not me that finds the use of the word normal offensive

You know nothing about me. I am not a fascist anything .not that you'd know or bothered to even ask.. I don't know if you are not a small minded asshole so I don't call you one.

I do not need privelege to find the word cis offensive ,, because I don't find it offensive. you really should try to absorb what you read beore you start trying to think you understand anything well enough to offer a comment

I have no wish to erase anyone from existence for having self identity and gender issues be they resolved to their satisfaction or not. So don't make presumptions about me and finishing your comment with the phrase ... " whatever you say" ....tells me that you are closed minded and possibly narrowly so to.

You clearly do not appear to understand the word Normal nor my use of it in this context.
    I did not and do not seek to offend anyone what I was doing was highlighting that some people think others wrong in not embracing their use of the word cis. and object to the everyday word.. Normal

Also if a person was to go to the trouble of getting their body altered to better project their own self image and to feel better about themself why would they want to have anyone including themselves describe them as being a trans..man or woman. Is that possibly because they do not accept themselves as being a man or woman?

Your whole post was based on not understanding what I was saying about the use of the word normal and that the vast majority of people that accept they were born being a normal male or female do not need or want to stick cis in front . And that normal has started to become for some a dirty word.

I really do not mind having a battle of wits with anyone but I refuse to pick on the undefended unless provoked... so why don't you keep your personal insults and lack of comprehension to your self

Oh and FYI I don't care either way whether an individual was born a man or woman or has become a man or woman or if they dress like men or women to me its their business and mostly none of mine.
    I'd add one more thing. I do not hate anyone.. some people's actions perhaps and some other people's actions..most definitely. But life is too short for hate and I have seen quite enough of what hate, prejudice and phobias can drive people to do to last me a life-time.

And yes I do fully understand the words prejudice and phobia ....unlike many . Which could be a whole other off topic thread for the bar.

Before reacting to words some people may find it prudent to first use a dictionary and or a thesaurus so at least they know what they are are talking about. I'm dyslexic and do not find that too hard.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/normal
    https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/abnormal

henry58 likes this.
  3. locked_top

locked_top Caged tiger

USA
    Local Time:
    4:24 AM
    I cheerfully use the term cismale to describe myself.

Guest 0388 likes this.
  4. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    they can't be..
    The phrase you seek is not 'normal' in this case it is ... not unusual... it is certainly not normal

and before you get on your high horse.

I have at no tme ever suggested that .. not usual .. was either a good or bad thing... nor have I even suggested that ... not usual.. is in anyway unacceptable

5. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:

misuse of words... someoe over 6' 6" is according to some bell curves a freak .. normal and abnormal don;t really com #e into it abnormal having connotations that merely stating it is the inverse of normal does not express.

Being over 6' 6" would be better labelled as not unusual... even though it is not normal

6. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    Your choice ... but please don't apply it me iwwas born male and remain so and have no wish to be anything else. Male is quite suffice for me as I don't feel the need to qualify or explain that in my every day daily life.

henry58 likes this.
  7. HenkieY

HenkieY Safely locked

Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    Local Time:
    Damn... Godwin's law sure kicked in quickly here...

8. locked_top

locked_top Caged tiger

USA
    Local Time:
    Always does in these types of discussions.

Guest 0388 and HenkieY like this.
  9. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    Have fun with that.. but you should not need to. Unless you are making some kind of distinction between men born as men and men that were not... why would you feel the need to do that .... Oh hang on...
    Now who IS being prejudiced?

10. L-u-c-y

Staff Member Owner of Chastity Mansion Administrator Verified Female

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    Well at least no one was called a feminazi :)

durango_o, Giveitup, henry58 and 3 others like this.
  11. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    It does .....especially when any members of the loony left get involved

If your argument is weak you can often easliy bolster it a little if you attribute your opponent's point of view, demenour, etc to having some element of fascism .. whether it has or not ,whether it was intended to have or not......

Some say its the main reason why it happens.

When people say fascist they generally mean Hitler's germany's version of it.. its foreign policy, its racism and intolerance of difference particularly in relation to weakness.

Fascism itself was no more wrong than true communism both had some admirable ideals .. and I'm not talking fanatic communism like russia and china once had..

Italy was the birth place of fascism which under musolini had nationalist ideals, with strong doses of anticlericalism and republicanism. Proposals included the confiscation of war profits, the eight-hour day, and the vote for women. So not all bad.

12. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    and would the feminazi be a good or bad thing?

a much misunderstood term that probably has a different meaning for almost everyone that ever heard of it.

13. Beck

Beck Banned

Local Time:
    What a useless dicussion.

Perhaps the problem isn't that which we don't know, but instead that which we do. Everyone has implicit bias.

I suppose the coining of 'cis' was mostly a reaction to the spectrum of gender identity being indentified. But in some ways it is no better than "all lives matter" which was also reactionary. And in creating a reaction, we have stolen from a very very small part of society a feeling of acceptance and/or security. Why should any of "them" be able to label themselves differently from our personal perameters?? Because they are different. We are all different, and yet the same. That needs zero science for verification... :)

Guest 0388 and corsac like this.
  14. henry58

henry58 Long term member

Local Time:
    A little presumptuous, but in the free world, you get to have an opinion in the hope you are not branded a fascist. To me, 'cis' supports an agenda that I find dangerous.

LockedTxHubby likes this.
  15. sandman9355

sandman9355 Junior Member

Local Time:
    11:24 AM
    While I do understand your frustration with the indoctrinated snowflakes, I'm not sure your way of looking at the mixture of scientific facts and cultural chaos that is the whole cis/trans thing is a good one. I feel you're being pushed, but I'm not sure you're pushing back in the best possible direction, so to speak.

The cis/trans pair of words has been widely used long before they rose to popularity due to gender issues. See the 1,2-Dichloroethene wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,2-Dichloroethene. IMO there's nothing wrong about using the term cis-male to specify that someone is more or less the baseline XY male-identified male. Sure, I usually wouldn't use the term in an everyday conversation, but I'm okay with it being used when it actually conveys information.

Your posts feel like you're letting your emotions cloud your thinking and your clarity, and I'm not sure that's something you wish happening when you're trying to show you're one of the sensible ones.

16. henry58

henry58 Long term member

Local Time:
    A well known term in the chemistry world. But to then use it to label a gender to fit the narrative of societal ideology is not welcome. As a male, I identify as a male. It's my choice and I take exception to being relabelled to fit other agendas. The thinking around this centres on the belief that males will not bitch about it too much and if they do, the ideologues have an arsenal other verbiage they can through at high volume to drown out any irritating protests.

But to your other point and its use to convey information, I fail to see how relabelling a sex conveys anything useful.

17. sandman9355

Local Time:
    If we were to talk about sensible debates, I don't the term cis-male as a re-labeling. I see it as a more specific term that can be used to specify baseline XY males, e.g. in cases where there are important differences between cis-males and trans-males. Say when talking about prostatic cancer or osteoporosis, or experience growing up.

Call me a liberal, but I do think FtM transexuals deserve the courtesy of being called men. And although male-appearing intersex people are say 0.1% of the population, that's like 7 million people wordlwide, and I'd guess they too would like to call themselves male. So I would use the term male if details such as who has what chromosomes are irrelevant, and the term cis-male if I wished to convey more detailed information.

I fully understand your frustration with the way the term is being abused by certain demographics. It is just that I live in a country far less infected with this craziness, so I'm a little more sensitive to sensible people no longer being willing to remain entirely precise and courteous, even though I know it's been used against them so many times it is no wonder they're pushing back so hard they sometimes forget to remain liberal in the classical sense of the word.

18. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:

Basically I suppose when you get down to it too many people are hung up labels..

Which would simply be their problem but they want to impose the use of labels in the way they proscribe on us all, and in a lot of cases they are succeeding. I for one but I 'm not alone in this won't play... especially when it seems a very tiny percentage of the population are trying to enforce their will upon the rest of us ....and their insistence ony serves to create animosity and actually helps alienate them.

BTW if you did know me you would find that my emotions do not cloud my thinking nor would they be permitted to if they tried.

also
    It was months after first hearing the term trans woman before I even bothered to look it up. I had no idea to which gender that had become the other it was actualy trying to refer to.

19. sandman9355

Local Time:
    Yes, I do agree too many people are too hung up on labels, or at least pretend to be.

I guess we would both agree that it would be better to prevent the irrational minority from damaging everyday language, not to mention the knock-on effects.

However, I do feel there is a room for improvement, in the sense that modern science knows a lot more about sex and gender than we knew 100+ years ago, so to me it does make sense to use modernised facts-based language that in some cases offers greater precision and clarity. Sure, disregarding someone's input because he's a cis-male is wrong. But a study describing the results of comparing say divorce rates of cis-men and trans-men is fine by me.

Do we need to continue this debate?

20. Guy

Guy Master of a haven for congenial, kinky friends.

Semi-retired
    Near Tomar, central Portugal
    Local Time:
    I really can't see why anybody should object to the prefix cis-

I have many wmen friends. Some are cis-, some are trans-

Some have a vagina, some have a cock. I've even met one with both.

But they are all women, good, bad and indifferent. None are normal or ordinary.

It is no accident that the transphobes get hung up on anatomy.

To me it doesn't matter, if I meet a woman and hit it off and want to make love we will.

In whatever way we choose and the details are nopbody else's business.

The idea that a transwoman cannot say, "I am a woman" is ridiculous.

notbeinfringed85 and MissyB like this.
  21. Guy

Semi-retired
    Local Time:

Many have alwatys died at their own hands or those of others, unrecorded as being trans.
    Please rewite and explain this

Many people who would have preferred to transition to what they see as their true gender, but haven't yet done so, commit suicide because of the complications it brings to their lives; or are killed e.g. by family or lovers because of prejudice - but a lot of those deaths are not recorded as being those of transfolk.

From the conflicts of trying to pretend to be cishet in a society that sees that as the only 'normal' orientation.
    What about the conflicts.. what happened... ??

There is enormous pressure on all of us to conform, 'to be a man', 'be a woman', fit the conventional mould. If you can't or won't fit that pattern, because you are trans, the realisation that you are trans doesn't come fully formed, especially when information about what being trans means is hard to come by, or prejudice is rife. Such people wonder if they are gay. They often over-compensate, go overboard doing 'manly' things, which is perhaps why so many ex-warriors later transition.But it is a very difficult process of gaining self-knowledge to understand why you seem different.

The ability to transition has led to far better mental outcomes, as proven statistically.
    I don't think anyone is arguing with that.. were it not thought to be the case the NHS would probably not fund it

I know many transwomen who have transitioned fully.
    MANY.... define many.. there are less than 1% in the US

I really have no idea whether it is 0.5% or 2%. Bu even 0.1% of tens of millions is still many people! I have known maybe a couple of hundred who've gone all the way, many more on-op, or on the way.

Some are now married and settled with a husband, or a wife, a girlfriend or boyfriend, cis or trans.
    and? ...

Some are not so established.
    that can be applied to everyone?

But they are all far happier now than they were, despite the prejudice, the slights, the knockbacks from the haters.
    All... a sweeping statement

Yes, but I can say all those I have known are far happier, as I don't know any who aren't.

Male privilege is a thing, like white privilege, money privilege, middle-class privilege.
    Are they really or are they just percieved by others?

As the modern intersectional feminists have established and demonstrated conclusively.
    They demonstrate for their purposes..

Luckily I have the full set, and the insight to recognise it for what it is, not take it for granted.
    Of what ?

Any transman who's gained male privilege and every transwoman who's lost it will confirm it too!
    Any ?..

Yes, all the transmen I have met, which is possibly ony 20 or so find male privilege is a real thing and love it.

And all the transwomen I have met, and that would be hundreds find that people treat them different, particularly the transphobes of course, but even those who accept them as women. Folk will interrupt them more, give less weight to their opinions: that is the way privilege works.

I hate the hatred, the prejudiuce, the lies that the fascisti project, the sociopathic projection.
    Most people do not particularly like fascists except maybe fascists .. but don't try and blame them for everything just because its trendy and easy to do so

I will continue to take the view that 'normal women' includes lesbian, bi, trans-women, white women, women of colour, disabled women, etc. they are all within the range of 'normal'. I will even include women who lock up men's cocks!

Obviously you do not understand the word 'normal' or the phrase 'not unusual'

I believe I fully understand both words. I can't see what your problem is, or are you just trolling?

I will continue to take the view that 'normal men' includes gay, bi, trans-men, white women, women of colour, disabled women, etc. they are all within the range of 'normal'. I will even include men interested i having their cock locked-up (if they have one)!
    sigh....

I will continue to use the terms cis-man, ciswoman, when the distinction clarifies what I mean

MissyB likes this.
  22. winstonmacgregor

winstonmacgregor Long term member

Local Time:
    5:24 AM
    #47 winstonmacgregor, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    "Cis" is a term that still confuses many people and seems to be more of a political statement than anything else. I only hear it being used in a derogatory way in some sort. Language is not substitution for respect/dignity and a lack thereof. People just need to label less and understand more.

23. Guy

Semi-retired
    Local Time:
    I will continue to use the prefix cis- in this context, as there is no other valid word to replace it.

If you are offended by that, get a grip!

Just imagine how much worse it would be having to endure the sneers, jeers, misgendering, stares, and much worse that many transwomen and some transmen have to endure, the transphobic propaganda and erasure.

MissyB likes this.
  24. Alceste

Alceste Chaste Member

United States
    Local Time:
    2:24 AM
    I think that the cis- prefix came about because society overall wants male / female for gender or "sex", and many do not want trans people using their assumed gender, many feel that it is dishonest. So, for example, if trans-women need to be labeled as such, some political elements in response want chromosomal gendered people to have a prefix too.

Personally, I think it is going too far, but I can understand the point. It is a political tit-for-tat.

I have no problem with trans-persons using their assumed gender. I assume that eventually society will come to a solution to his issue, but we are not there yet.

25. Guy

Semi-retired
    Local Time:
    I imagine many on here have never met a transwomen or transman, they judge purely and simply on the basis of the transphobic rants in the extreme right media, and have never knowingly met one.

Since Miss Prim and I established The Muir Academy for naughty adult boys, girls and special girls, back in 1987, their company has become normal to me, they make up a high proportion of the women I know.

They are women, mostly much the same as any other women, with the same huge variation in looks, background, outlook, experience. By all means judge them as individuals; but resist prejudice.

If you are not a trans, intersex, etc. person, then you are a cis person. A simple technical term for which no other word can be used. If unhappy about me, or anybody else using that word, get a grip!

Transfolk are generally wonderful people, though like any group, some are boring, bad or downright evil.

If you lump them all together, assuming they are a homogenous group all alike, you are transphobic.

Just as a racist presumes there is a real difference between 'white' people and 'people of colour'.

Research suggests most homophobes are repressed bi, gay or lebian folk.

In the ame way most agressively transphobic folk have repressed desires to cross-dress.

There is a simple cure, try dressing as one of the other gender and see how it feels.

It helps, if you're a man, to have a woman help you dress, do your make-up, etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice