An uphill struggle

Discussion in 'Journals and blogs' started by hopefulhubby, Sep 28, 2022.

Random Thread
  1. hopefulhubby

hopefulhubby Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    5:12 PM
    I've worked hard over the last week to try to connect with my wife. I can see the tiniest glimmer of progress (an affectionate kiss from her now and again)

What you said about the different types of libidos, @littleguy3, is very interesting. I thought my wife was the responsive type. The trouble is my wife can be satisfied in all those areas and still not be interested in sex - she's just nicer to be around. Then out of the blue once or twice a year for no apparent reason she'll be in the mood. That sounds like the spontaneous type but it's so rare I just don't know what to think!

2. littleguy3

littleguy3 Adoring husband

Bondservant to my wife
    USA - Virginia
    Local Time:
    12:12 PM
    I sense your pain! I wish there was a simple formula "do w, x and y and z will follow". But life and women are complicated and they go thru different things at differents stages of life. My wife is post-menopausal and we are now empty nesters so we don't have either of those complications affecting my wife's emotional state.

Emily Nagoski, in her book "Come As You Are", talks about a dual control model that women have that involves an "accelerator" - things that turn you on - and "brakes" - things that turn you off - that affect a woman's sexual response. I have more reading to do in this book to summarize her thinking, but here's another thread I started that touches on some of the "brakes" affecting women for you to consider.

Arlentia2 and hopefulhubby like this.
  3. Archan0n

Archan0n Member

Project Manager
    Uk
    Local Time:
    So, there's good (and bad) advice on the high libido r\HLCommunity subreddit. There's low level and deadbedroom subreddits too - again with a mix of vent, and advice - some good, some perhaps not so good. Everyone's situation is different.
    DrPsychMom does some podcasts that provide useful insite into libido differences between men and women, and how it can change over time in a relationship - and why. This may help with perspective and provide insight if yuo're trying something and not getting the result you're after.
    I'd also recommend kink-friendly / sex positive couples therapy - even if you don't want to discuss kink a therapist in this space will be non-judgemental if something unusual crops up.

4. hopefulhubby

UK
    Local Time:
    I have drafted a letter than I'm happy with. I'm trying to find the right time to give it to her. There's always something so I think the right moment will never arrive and I'll just have to do it.
    I've decided that starting with a letter is the best approach so that she can take time to read it and absorb it without me mucking up the message by trying to get it over verbally. Then we can have a discussion.
    I've remained chaste through all this as it helps maintain my focus and love for my wife. Of course, she has no idea but I do wonder if she picks up on it. Anyway, I hope we can reintroduce that officially. For now I have to start at the very beginning and pray that she wants to be physical with me.

5. littleguy3

Bondservant to my wife
    USA - Virginia
    Local Time:
    Can you share the letter or the gist of it?

6. Arlentia2

Verified Female

Local Time:
    For god’s sake - stop taking about sex! (Sorry - you’re hurting and you seem like a nice guy but I’m going to channel your wife). Literally everything you do is going to appear to be about your desperation about sex - it’s a catch22. I am super sensitive to feeling like women are treated like sex objects and any of the things you are doing/saying would trigger that reaction (I am so sorry!). The only thing that worked for me was reading about other men’s experiences and what they got out of it (my husband thanks you all), being scientifically curious as to if it was true, and the idea that it was somehow just good for him - make him more focused, productive in his life. If it wasn’t for those articles (someone posted a really good one here), I would have thought it was just another sexual fantasy that I would have to do for him. He tried to tell me how women benefitted him but I couldn’t hear it from him - I had to hear it from other people. I still am perpetually mystified by why men like if (and hence do a ton of reading on here) but we talk a lot and he reassures me that he enjoys other things about it besides the purely sex focused. It sounds really tough but maybe she’d be willing to read something?

7. hopefulhubby

UK
    Local Time:
    Thank you for replying and giving the view from a woman's perspective.
    I think what you're talking about is getting my wife on board with male chastity. If that's the case I had tried in the past and I did give her things to read but she just wasn't bothered. She read one short article and told me it was bullshit. She looked at a longer article but told me it was too long and refused to read it. But it is very useful to know that if I could get her to read something she might be convinced. That isn't my focus right now. What I'm trying to do is get her interested in thinking she might want to have sex with me again without any kinks.

I don't talk to her about sex or anything sexual whatsoever any more since the last time I tried a couple of years ago she just became upset and wouldn't discuss it with me. So I'm hoping that nothing I have done in the last couple of years has shown any desperation for sex. That might be a problem in itself because now she probably thinks I'm not interested any more.

8. hopefulhubby

UK
    Local Time:
    The gist is I miss being intimate with her, that I love and desire her and that I miss the connection that intimacy brings. I also ask if there is anything I can do to help the situation.

9. Arlentia2

Verified Female

Local Time:
    Yeah, but for a woman it can be hard to separate the word “intimacy” from sex. Perhaps try to focus on non-physical intimacy- like talking about feelings - the opening your soul kind - hopes and fears (like fearing being alone in your old age, fears of abandonment based on past experiences, fear of rejection) - the stuff that’s scary to admit because it hits at the core of why you crave connection. My guess is that your love language is physical touch so not having a physical relationship means you feel rejected and unloved when you don’t get any. Women can often feel empathy for people who are feeling sad and unloved - like an abandoned child or a friend who’s been dumped by her boyfriend - it pulls at the heartstrings. If she’s not sexual and physical touch isn’t her love language it’s going to be hard for her to feel empathy for someone that misses physical intimacy - she just can’t relate. But she could relate to someone feeling rejected in general. Basically talking about the problem (feeling lonely) and not the solution (physical intimacy) could start her thinking of other ways she can help you feel connection besides sex.

Have you read the book “the 5 love languages”? It’s an easy read and insightful - if it’s an audio book maybe she would be willing to listen to it on her commute or on a walk or on a trip you’re taking. That could open up a general conversation about what types of things make people feel loved. Based on the book you could try to guess the love languages of people you know (eg don’t make it about you right away). I know you’ve flat out asked her in the past, but if she’s in a broad sense thinking about love and emotions (like from watching a movie or reading a book) she might be willing to have an intellectual conversation about it.

I don’t know - you situation sounds so heartbreaking and I know you’ve tried so many things - so just trying to help. Do you have any women irl that you can talk to about this? Sister, friend? Or a therapist?

littleguy3, hopefulhubby and Rectrix like this.
  10. littleguy3

Bondservant to my wife
    USA - Virginia
    Local Time:
    Having that discussion should open up you to building emotional, intellectual & spiritual intimacy with her because her love language(s) is probably not physical touch. If you can talk about her love language and begin demonstrating effort to show her unconditional love and communicate with her frequently about issues of the heart, you'll build emotional intimacy and maybe she will then open up to physical intimacy gradually!

Great suggestions @Arlentia2 !

Arlentia2 and hopefulhubby like this.
  11. hopefulhubby

UK
    Local Time:
    Thank you - these suggestions are a great help.
    I haven't read the book but I have heard of it and I did an online survey which agreed with you that my primary love language is physical. Yes, not having a physical relationship does make me feel rejected although I wouldn't say I'm unloved. I have tried to find out hers but she is very enigmatic. I will keep trying.

I don't have any friends whatsoever, male or female, so there is nobody I can talk to. That makes advice like yours very welcome.

Arlentia2 likes this.
  12. Arlentia2

Verified Female

Local Time:
    If she won’t talk about it you can think about what she “asks” you for most frequently - does she ask you to do things for her (acts of service)? ask you to do things *with* her (quality time)? does she light up when you give her a compliment (words of affirmation)?(based on what you’ve said, I doubt this is her love language), does she drop hints about items she likes (for example when shopping, she might comment on something and kind of give you a look) or get very thankful and smile when you give her nice, special things (Gift giving)? Maybe start writing down when she smiles and engages with you positively, when she reacts happily to something you or someone else does - you might start to see a pattern. You could even try some of these things (give a gift of something she’s hinted at, go with her on an errand or a walk, do a chore she always does, etc.) then keep track - it could be fun, like uncovering a puzzle. Like littleguy3 said, once she starts feeling loved she’s more likely to reciprocate (or at least be open to talking).

13. littleguy3

Bondservant to my wife
    USA - Virginia
    Local Time:
    GREAT advice!!!! I hope many are listening!

hopefulhubby and Arlentia2 like this.
  14. hopefulhubby

UK
    Local Time:
    This is brilliant - I will be trying this right away!

littleguy3 and Arlentia2 like this.
  15. Arlentia2

Verified Female

Local Time:
    Yay! Do report back!

16. cj0434

cj0434 Active member

Local Time:
    9:12 AM
    That's great! One thing I do too is observe what they do for the people they love. Often they'll show love to others based on their own love language. I especially watch that with my kids to understand their love language.

hopefulhubby and littleguy3 like this.
  17. littleguy3

Bondservant to my wife
    USA - Virginia
    Local Time:
    Another fantastic suggestion!

18. hopefulhubby

UK
    Local Time:
    A brief update:

I gave her my letter and to my surprise she agreed that we need to work on things and thanked me for writing it. She doesn't want me to leave it to her to tell me when she's ready so I have permission to approach her for intimacy without her getting annoyed with me. I still feel awkward about actually doing that but I'm just going to have to get over it. One thing she did explain was past rejection was because in a previous relationship the guy was only flirty and hands-on when he wanted sex. She realises that I'm not the same and I explained to her that intimacy doesn't have to mean sex - I would be happy if we could just be close sometimes instead.

I spent a lot of brainpower trying to work out her love language(s) without success. In the end I was just direct and asked her. She doesn't know either! So looks like my actual challenge is to try and coax one of the love languages out of her.

So we are on the way and on the same page I think. Progress!

19. Deleted member 100175

that's more positive than I'd expected (sorry!) - well done both of you. life is very short & we must all have courage.

a previous Sales Director boss once said to me "I don't want it to be a 'no', (from the customer) but if it's going to be, then can I get a quick no please" ...

IB-Chaste and hopefulhubby like this.
  20. hopefulhubby

UK
    Local Time:
    Believe me, it was more positive than I expected too!

Deleted member 100175 likes this.
  21. littleguy3

Bondservant to my wife
    USA - Virginia
    Local Time:
    That's fantastic news! Communication is never a bad thing!

Is your letter too personal to share with us? Maybe we could learn a thing or two from it!!! :rolleyes:

22. hopefulhubby

UK
    Local Time:
    Here's roughly what I wrote. I hope it helps someone.

I wanted to put pen to paper in order to tell you something that has been on my mind for quite some time. I should have told you sooner but I miss being intimate with you. We have been together for many years now and in that time we have shared so many wonderful moments. However, I feel like we've been neglecting this important aspect of our relationship.

I find you incredibly attractive, both physically and emotionally and I want to make sure that you know how much I love and desire you. I miss the way your touch feels, the way your body responds to mine, and the way we connect on a deeper level when we are intimate.

If there is anything that I can do to make you want me, please let me know. I want to make sure that both of us are happy and fulfilled in our marriage. Perhaps we could try something new or explore different ways to physically connect. I am willing to do whatever it takes because you are worth everything to me.

I feel our love has only grown stronger as time has gone by and I want to continue to nurture and cherish our relationship in every way possible, including our physical intimacy.

Please let me know how you feel about this and if there is anything I can do to make you feel more comfortable and desired. I love you more than I can put into words and I look forward to growing even closer to you in every way possible.​

23. Arlentia2

Verified Female

Local Time:
    Thank you for sharing this. Are you going to be chaste while doing this? That might help her believe that your affection is not just about sex

littleguy3 likes this.
  24. hopefulhubby

UK
    Local Time:
    I am chaste now without her knowledge and I hope to introduce this to her to show her my intentions are not about just me getting off. Last time we tried was a failure and she never really understood what the point was and so I was locked and forgotten. Hopefully this time I can get her to see all the benefits she can reap if she just gets on board. But, baby steps and all that.

25. Studmouse47

Studmouse47 Active member

Retired
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Local Time:
    11:12 AM
    I scanned many of the responses in this tread, but I don't recall seeing anything about seeking marriage counseling. A good therapist may be able to get both of you to be honest in expressing the needs and desires of each partner. Also, the wife may have experienced some sexual trauma in her past that she has repressed and that you are not aware of. Until some one can get her to open up things may not change.

littleguy3 and Arlentia2 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice