Was Will Smith right? Aka what would you do if someone disrespected your Wife?

Discussion in 'Female led relationships' started by Isopropylforyou, Apr 12, 2022.

Random Thread
  1. Guest 6019

Guest 6019 Long term member

Local Time:
    2:20 PM
    A distraction.

2. spider203

spider203 Long term member

Local Time:
    Chris rock did cross that line but will smith could have destroyed Chris by taking the Mike and hitting back at been a comedian who who picks his jokes off the floor and that would have made will smith come out on top but giving Chris rock a bitch slap there were only going to be one winner. So no I do not agree with the bad joke but that did not matter after the bitch slap.
    BTW do anyone know if the Oscars cleared the jokes at the Oscars or do the comedian have that much freedom.

3. Jon_Grey

Jon_Grey Member

India
    Local Time:
    6:50 PM
    I think he took a joke a bit seriously, acted on it without giving it a thought and made a bigger joke out of him and his wife. Now there are way many memes about Jada and he just put her through it.

SlaveBoy73 and Guest 3291 like this.
  4. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    For fucksake!

We'll be talking about the bloody Kardashian's new show in a minute?

Will Smith doesn't deserve to end his career over a slap. In a bar, anyone else might have been patted on the back for defending his woman. Right gesture in the right place. It was just the right gesture in the wrong place. It wasn't exactly even a proper brawl. In a bar, I doubt such a small kerfuffle would even warrant a ban. So many great films, tunes and Fresh Prince was genius. I don't give a flying fuck about his personal life, or lovelife, not my business.

Whereas Chris Rock, mmmehhh! Not my thing. I'd happily never see, or hear him again. He makes Madagascar almost unwatchable. He only has one character. Annoying.

I know it's not the point. But the distractive tangent makes a point of its own.

Muppet and spider203 like this.
  5. cogman

cogman Long term member

Business owner
    Australia - Sydney
    Local Time:
    11:20 PM
    Gee your so darn smart I had to look that word up.

Guest 3291 likes this.
  6. Guest 3291

Guest 3291 Banned

Local Time:
    9:20 AM
    Just publicity stunt for the Oscars, my opinion cause they are not getting the attention that they once had.

RoyMunson and cogman like this.
  7. horse

horse Junior Member

Local Time:
    Will Smith is a pretty competent actor, I watched the trailer for the film he was nominated for (King Richard) and it was OK I guess. Anything to do with Serena Williams seems to have the media gushing over her non existent dress sense so I'm not surprised that they threw nominees at her biopic until something stuck. Cumberbatch or Washington or literally anything in Dune were obviously better, but they didn't include The Holy Goddess Serena of the Sacred Tennis Ball, so it sucks to be them this year...

All that matters is that his peers gave him a gong, they might be a bunch of tedious virtue signallers trying to elevate the Wokest film on the pile, but then that's why nobody watches this pontificating trash any more. But he's a likeable enough actor so why not recognise him for {something}

I'd question why this spectacle requires a court jester to ritually humiliate these schmucks for the sake of TV blood. They are generally despised every time they give their opinion on something, so mockery doesn't appear to be having any positive effect on them.
    Comedy is dead, it's just an audience of seals clapping to demonstrate contrived agreement with the same smug moralising as yesterday.

I actually admire Smith for that moment of clarity when he realised he didn't have to subject his Wife to that comedians shit, he didn't owe the rest of the clown seals anything, and what mattered most to him at that exact moment was a primal need to protect his Wife from their mockery.

"Oh noes, he was violent..."
    So what? This is the very nature of man, deal with it, don't poke the bear.

Maybe one day we can return to a community of actors sharing their joy of acting for the sake of it, receiving gongs based on actual artistic ability, and films that didn't require absolute subservience to an oppressive political machine.

Just because something exists, doesn't mean it embodies any humanity

Muppet and RoyMunson like this.
  8. Byrdie

Byrdie Junior Member
    Verified Female

Seattle, WA - USA
    Local Time:
    6:20 AM
    I'm suspicious about the whole thing, and think that both Rock and Smith went off the rails with their respective behaviors.

Chris Rock did an entire documentary, which included international travel, about Black women and their hair called Good Hair. He was / is also supposedly a friend of the Smiths, so I find it difficult to believe that he genuinely didn't know about Jada's condition, given his fascination with he topic. Rock walked onto a stage in front of an audience significantly balanced towards rich White people and and taunted Jada Pinket-Smith about her hair on an international broadcast.

Will Smith has dedicated his social media towards encouraging others to strive to improve themselves, almost like he's trying to replace Bill Cosby as America's Favorite Dad. He then sat there, on camera, laughing at his wife's expense. Then, on top of that, Mr. Positivity did an about face and assaulted someone based purely on words.

Neither of their behaviors make any sense to me. However, the more people claim that it was a smoke screen to take attention away from the Justice Clarence Thomas scandal, the more I think there might be something to the conspiracy theory.

9. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    8:20 AM
    Actions have consequences, good bad or indifferent. The response, whatever it is, is a direct result of his actions. The circumstances change with the details, and reactions change with the circumstances.

If a janitor or server walked up and slapped Chris, they would be arrested on scene, immediately, job would be gone, and more than likely fine and lawsuit. Same for me, and almost anyone else. So as much as he is being “canceled” he’s also reaping the benefits of being a big movie star.

I’ve got news for everyone…being canceled has been happening as long as people have been doing shitty or embarrassing things. If it really isn’t a big deal or shitty, then no one would bother.

Actions have consequences, he’s lucky he’s rich and famous enough to stay out of jail.

LukeVallentine and Bonobo like this.
  10. SlaveBoy73

SlaveBoy73 Long term member

Local Time:
    I cannot believe the amount of toxic masculinity here when all these men purport themselves to be obsequious and submissive.

Assault and battery is a criminal act.

Our wives and girlfriends did not select us because we are cromagnon troglodytic he-men.

I have about 15 years of martial arts experience in Kodokan Judo, Go Ju Ryu Karate, and Wing Chun and I enjoy fighting....although I'm quite old for it now and somewhat arthritic.

I have better than average ability to "defend my woman" or myself but that was NOT what this fool did. He stroked his own ego and used his wife as a blow-up doll for his hero fantasy.

He attacked someone because the made a back-handed compliment to his wife from 100 feet away in front of 400 audience members. SHe did not need any defending. She was not in danger nor was she even hurt. (other than MAYBE butt-hurt)

If anything, he victimized his own wife by making her into an even bigger joke.

I don't really care what happened but....what the hell?! Are we not beyond the chauvinism of "Defending the honour" of women?

Any woman worth having neither requires nor desires our "White knight" nonsense.

People on here talk a good game about loving dominant women but when someone makes a mildly funny tame reference to a shaved head we leap into old paternalistic roles and have to start smacking the shit out of other men?

Pathetic.

Really.

11. SlaveBoy73

Local Time:
    This comment is all kinds of gross.

true42 likes this.
  12. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    My comment above is the first thing I’ve written about this incident. First because I don’t give a shit about Hollywood and because I didn’t see the incident and do care to look it up. That said, the OP asked what would you do. It didn’t ask about Will Smith.

None of us know what he and his wife were thinking. And I’d never try. I will say insulting a man’s wife who has an illness isn’t cool. Sure it’s not the same as being assaulted but it’s still wrong.

Personally I hate the BS the “woke” idiots spew. They go on and on about the dignity of women and then when a guy insults a woman with an illness they show they can only handle one thing by going nuts over the slap.

To me there was plenty wrong in this. And I’m not convinced it wasn’t setup. But we won’t know for sure. And frankly I don’t care.

If it wasn’t staged I feel Will Smith needs to learn how to hit someone if he’s going to do so. To me a slap is just a wimpy way to hit someone. Either hit the guy like you mean it or don’t do it at all. Agin my view is hitting someone is serious stuff so do it like you mean it if it comes to that.

Now, I’m done with this as I don’t care and it doesn’t affect me.

13. WillieBDenied

WillieBDenied All men should be locked

Software
    San Diego, CA
    Local Time:
    6:20 AM
    For anyone who is defending Will for "defending" his wife...have you ever seen a comedian before? Been to a comedy club? Been made fun of for any reason? Should every single person who was the focus of a joke run up and hit the comedian? Of course not. Pull up your adult panties and laugh it off already. Real or fake, it sends a terrible message. Would he have done the same thing if one of the female hosts had made the joke? no...or what if the joke was about Will? Would his wife slap Chris...of course not. It's embarrassing for all involved.

14. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    8:20 AM
    This is a bit off topic, but in general, how often do women really need defending? I mean for real, maybe physically but that is rare, and usually could have been avoided if men didn’t “step in”.

I go to the tavern with my wife, and if anyone wants to give her a verbal jab…good luck. Women can shut down most crap with a tiny dick reference, point out something they are lacking physically or lifestyle, and shut the offender up my ch more efficient than me with my fists. If it ever got to a point I was worried about an actual physical confrontation I would certainly step up, but in general they don’t need or want our help in verbal conflict.

tomf_22033 and SlaveBoy73 like this.
  15. SlaveBoy73

Local Time:

Also, if someone says something verbally to you or your wife, you don't have to engage.

If it persists, you can pick your stuff up and leave, and on the way out, you can complain to the proprietor that their customer is harassing other guests. If the manager is any good they will then chastise the guest and/or ask them to leave.

If the manager doesn't step in, then it's not a place worth patronizing.

It's really quite simple. No fists, no slaps, no egos. Just simple communication to the people that matter.

16. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    I think as men, we have been encouraged to stand up and defend "our women" by society. Especially in the past, but still today.

I think you made the most relevant point. We might not see it at the time, when our heckles are up, but you are right.

"...in general they don’t need or want our help in verbal conflict"

17. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    I’m not defending him. And I’m all for freedom of speech. In fact I’m against all of the woke BS with micro aggressions and such.

That said being a good comic is knowing the lines of good taste, being edgy and being rude and unacceptable. Don Rinkles was know for making fun of folks and being edgy. But he was loved. So it’s also not only what’s said but how.

I’ll also say that some things Rinkles did and said would not be ok now. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad or a little of both but I still think Chris Rock was out of line for making fun of an I’ll person. To me that was over the line. Others can agree, disagree or whatever. But don’t be high and mighty and question my or anyone else’s knowledge of comedy.

18. jemima

jemima maid for my Mistress

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    well i think flower is nice name so thank you for call me a flower.

19. captivatedbyher

captivatedbyher romantic want to be

Farmer
    Northern NY
    Local Time:
    Wow, Im amazed at how many men on here would allow their woman to be insulted. For the first time in my life I had respect for Mr. Smith

tomf_22033 and Guest 2684 like this.
  20. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    I think we should move on to the next item on the meeting agenda. It's already late, and there isn't enough money in the kitty to order in pizzas.

21. true42

true42 Owned member

Local Time:
    Ever see the Disney movie "Bambi"?

22. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    Eh?

23. horse

horse Junior Member

Local Time:
    #48 horse, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Ah, you didn't understand my point, I'll elaborate.

Will Smith was shown laughing at the joke, then presumably (we don't actually know this) noticed his Wife's reaction. I would imagine at that moment he would have felt deep embarrassment at unwittingly laughing at his own Wife. Sometimes when jokes are being told we instinctively join in the communal laughing, but then process the meaning as we go along.
    That's an extremely stressful situation to be placed into, you have a camera in your face and the world is now watching you Laugh-At-Your-Own-Wife's-Medical-Condition...

Have a think what that might feel like to you in that instant.

Laughing is an interesting psychological state, to laugh we must first switch off decision making and behavioural control in order to have that uncontrolled emotional response. It's also similar to a fear response (hence the bared teeth, sudden expelling of breath and frozen state).
    To then be snapped out of then into a realisation that your response was hugely socially incorrect - that's not a rational happy place to be in, and humans faced with that will usually go right into a fight or flight mode.
    I'd guess that flight was not an option when you are in a room full of people who came to see you, so that left fighting the immediate focus of his fear response. Chris.

It's unfortunate that a bunch of other more rational options didn't occur to him at that moment, but it is what it is, stress/humiliation responses are never rational and anyone who pretends otherwise is a hypocrite.
    Rock got slapped (I suspect this was a last minute concession to back this off slightly, given that he was already committed to walking up there to do (something involving a fist).
    Now Smith gets to deal with everyone's perfect hindsight about what they would do if someone made a fool out of them in public, when their career depended on being seen to be a perfect role model 24/7 while their Wife cuckolds them...

These patterns of seemingly irrational behaviour are familiar to most males who grew up conscious of this kind of posturing aggression from other men, and mostly we develop ways of dealing with it. Occasionally men experience a bad sequence of events all at once, and turn into Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down', but most of us are capable of noticing when another man is about to flip from posturing and into fight mode, and we will back off.
    Men have a lot of very primal drivers to their behaviour, which are both demanded and disapproved of by women, and since we have a very effeminate society now (and the inevitable beta response from some males), these display patterns have drawn more negative attention than they warrant. Men understand what this means in context, but women can't, they can only signal meaningless value judgements to gain social acceptance because 'male violence' impacts them in different ways.

You'll notice in the animal kingdom that males are extremely capable of killing each other during hormonal displays, but they never actually do. This is a finely tuned awareness of the other male's state of mind that stops us killing each other before a social consensus has a chance to override this.

The most dangerous situation in a Chav's world is to be engaged in this kind of behaviour, and then have a woman blindly stumble into the situation with a whole bunch of her own hormonal/alcohol urges going on, screaming "Hit him Kevin!!!".
    Because that triggers a primal challenge response from the Chav, and everyone ends up in hospital.

It's much the same in this event, just about every Woman has interpreted/judged this through her own female baseline behavioural lens (because that's all any gender can innately understand), and declared that "Jada didn't need Will to defend her..."
    And that wasn't what was going on at all.

Jada unknowingly precipitated all this by choosing not to laugh off Chris's shaming attack herself. This then places Will into an impossible situation, he was trying to laugh it off, but now he can't, and now he looks like a schmuck, and now his over stressed brain has totally switched off and he's gone into primal mode.
    She seems to be very narcissistic in her behaviour and she's (maybe subconsciously) expecting Will to respond in a supplicating manner to her negative response. Will's brain (which is already deep into social panic mode) is effectively hearing "Hit him Kevin!!!", and so a lot of this higher brain function (and social overrides) gets switched off.

You'll notice that in another video she's laughing as Will slaps Chris. Some women invite this kind of drama and they are not someone you want to be in a relationship with.
    In Chav Land a lot of women will recognise how this plays out and try to defuse this situation by yelling "Leave him Kevin, he's not worth it...". And this gives the Chav an instant way to defuse the situation, and the other party will recognise the de-escalation play and take the opportunity to walk away rather than prolong it further. Having a woman getting involved is extremely dangerous and both Chavs will see this and both will dislike her intrusion (because nether of them really want to risk injury, these are just posturing displays of status and acknowledgements of hierarchy)

Chav Land is just like Shakespeare, but more guttural.

Jada didn't attempt to de-escalate, even though she knew exactly what was about to happen when Will got up, and even positively engaged with Will's violent slap by laughing. And I think that's a very important factoid to notice.
    Equally important is that the media choose to ignore this and instead ran with a theoretical "Jada didn't want defending", when clearly she didn't bother to stop it either and this had nothing to do with Will defending anyone.

My point was that TV land is a nasty horrible place, where once normal people who are just trying to be artists are forced into engaging with shitty shock comedians, who make offensive jokes about people's appearances and insecurities in order to get a rise out of them. And inevitably they will blunder into a Falling Down scenario where someone is deep into a bad relationship dynamic that day, shit will go down, and everyone else turns into bigger insufferable moralising hypocrites than they were five minutes ago.

As an aside, if a bloke tells you that he didn't realise a joke about a woman's bald head would go down really badly, then he's 100% lying. We may not have much empathy but we have a very good idea what a full head of glossy bouncy hair means to women. So if they have a bald head that either means cancer, something else like that, or they are bat shit O'Connor.

24. SlaveBoy73

Local Time:

No I understood your comments perfectly and they are still gross. Even grosser with the above explanation.

25. horse

horse Junior Member

Local Time:
    Not everyone is comfortable engaging in a rational discussion, if you feel safer in just posting simple emotional responses then we are done here

RoyMunson likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice