Religious discussion (continued from “Christianity and Chastity”)

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Muppet, Feb 5, 2024.

1. JaySaysYes

JaySaysYes I identify as someone that is always right

Local Time:
    9:09 AM
    I hope your god forgives you.

Is your god a merciful and forgiving god?

2. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    Forgives me for what?

Is your god a merciful and forgiving god?[/QUOTE]

Youve read enough to know He is

3. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Youve read enough to know He is[/QUOTE]

Do you think you are more merciful than your god?

4. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    #229 Muppet, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    Do you think you are more merciful than your god?[/QUOTE]
    No. Tho I am very merciful compared to many.I think my capacity for mercy is a gift that God has given me, and that cultivating that virtue further is one of the tasks He has set for me.
    Btw I know it’s going back a bit in the thread, but you made mention of “burning the homos according to the Gospels”…. where did you get that notion?

5. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Your god apparently killed untold millions in a flood, do you think it was justified?

6. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    Yes. Do you want me to expand on that?

7. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Sure, go ahead and justify the murder of millions.

8. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    #233 Muppet, Feb 23, 2024
    For starters, if you suspend your disbelief and conduct a thought experiment, you’ll be able to see that a god who creates everything out of nothing is free from all constraints, moral or otherwise. After all, such a god defines what is good.
    Secondly, I think you’re being a little over literal in your understanding of the story. Sounds like you imagine planet Earth, teeming with human beings, and this god capriciously wiping out all except one family - including (one must presume) millions that live on the other side of the world and share no history with the society in which Noah lives. But that’s not the worldview of Genesis. This story takes place in a context where “the world”, or “the face of the earth” is supposed to be understood as everything that is known to the reader. So what is being described is more akin to a nation being drowned, not all nations. Moreover, this nation is described as wholly consumed by evil decadence. This god elects Noah not just to build an ark, but to warn the nation of the impending flood and call the people to change. They hear Noah but mock and deride him. Remember also that these people live only ten generations from Adam, so it’s not like Noah warning you, and you going “oh fuck off you psychotic god-botherer”. These are people who know full well that there is a creator god, but live in wilful disregard of his authority. Finally this god says “so be it” and the waters come. By this action he restores the earth and humanity, which otherwise would have descended fully into moral darkness.
    What entitles me to interpret the story in this way? Well, that is how the Church has always traditionally understood it. The idea that the Genesis narrative is somehow timelessly literal is a novel idea, mainly popular amongst American Protestants. Also look at the text itself: it is tediously specific about the precise construction of the ark, and it’s quite clear that a vessel of that size couldn’t hold two of every species on earth. There ARE places in scripture where impossible things happen (e.g. the feeding of the 5000), but when they do, it’s explicitly stated that this is a miracle, i.e. an exceptional suspension of the laws of nature. That isn’t so in the case of Noah’s ark. We’re supposed to take from it that this god tells Noah to take what’s necessary for building a new world. The type of storytelling going on here is figurative. It almost certainly describes a real and very extensive flood, and invites the reader to consider that events of this kind happened as a consequence of human sin. However, it’s also important to note that afterwards this god promises the Noah family that no such corrective measure will happen again - and the rainbow is set in the sky as a sign of that promise. So readers then and now are meant to take from this that any future natural disasters are NOT divine acts of retribution - it’s just that “shit happens”.
    This is not me offering you my own cobbled together apology for the story of the flood. It’s the mainstream traditional understanding. The destruction of an evil nation which disregards repeated calls to repentance is justice. God did indeed offer mercy, but only Noah and his family accepted the offer.
    I look forward to your response.

littleguy3 likes this.
  9. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    #234 Muppet, Feb 23, 2024
    Postscript: the rainbow in the sky thing should, for example, prevent arsehole homophobe pseudo-Christians from saying that AIDS is God’s punishment of homosexuals. There’s a four letter word for anyone who says this and it begins with c.

10. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    #235 Muppet, Feb 23, 2024
    Compare the story of the ark with the story of God parting the Red Sea so that Moses can lead the Israelites out of bondage to the Egyptians. Here it’s obvious that we ARE meant to take it literally: the text describes the sea parting and the water on each side being like a great wall. Then it crashes back down and wipes out Pharoah’s army. It’s not reasonable to say “oh it was probably just low tide or a drought”; you must either believe it’s a miracle or a lie. In the Bible, when there’s a miracle the writer lays it on thick. If we were meant to believe that the ark contained literally every species on earth it would go on and on about: “antelopes led he, and porcupines; rhinoceroses and snails and gekkos. Ants and lizards and great giraffes did Noah drive into the ark, together with goats and millipedes and horned toads..” etc.

11. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Right, you could have saved yourself a lot of typing by saying "because god", tinged with a bit of "I take the bible seriously and adhere to it, but not all of it, obvs"

Your god decided it didn't like how things were going so it tossed all it's toys out of it's pram and killed almost everyone, and here you are saying it's okay since (engage whiney voice) "because he, um He, made everything so it's His ball and He can take him home if He wants."

Sodom and Gomorrah is a similar story of your merciless spoilt child god killing people because they used their free will to live as they wished, rather than doing whatever it was your god wanted...although he seemed fine with the incest bits.

The red sea is another example of your god killing people it doesn't like. It could have done many things to halt the army but instead killed them.

I am once again reminded of Dewey smiting the ants.

12. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    So you really don’t see the incredible self-contradiction in these things you say…?

13. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Nope. Go ahead and point it out.

14. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    We human beings, having been given free will and an entirely perfect world to live in, and therefore completely responsible for all the shit we do, gratuitously rape, abuse kids, steal, cheat, kill, torture, pollute, squander our gifts and take delight in humiliating each other to gratify our own pathetic appetites and egos… yet according to you, it’s outrageous we should ever be judged. On the other hand God, Who (if He exists) has given us everything we need to be happy and live in mutual love, and Who is always willing to forgive everything if only we fess up, is apparently “spiteful” for allowing us sometimes to face the natural consequences of being evil.

littleguy3 likes this.
  15. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    And it IS His ball, and He CAN take it home if He wants. Except He doesn’t, even though we repeatedly piss in His face. I bet you’d take it home if it was yours and He treated you how you treat Him.

littleguy3 likes this.
  16. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    It’s like, you don’t believe in God, but if you did, you’d perversely blame Him for all OUR choices.

littleguy3 likes this.
  17. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Nature doesn't judge the actions of the animals. If they want to fuck their young then there may be consequences in future generations but there is not a spiteful alien judging them.

There is nothing natural about a space alien smiting entire populations because it disagrees with how they chose to run their lives.

Ohhhh, maybe your space alien god is like the bad guys from Stargate SG-1. It sure does seem similar.

Do you think the Israelis, who have been occupying lands and killing/abusing the inhabitants for decades (and are now de facto invoking a god-style genocide), are due a smiting from your god, or is the inaction of your god on this planet an indication that your god no longer has an fucks to give and has moved on from this planet?

18. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    You said your god made everything, laid out the story and so, if true, then your god made all of the good and the bad.

Maybe your god doesn't like the responsibility of it all.

19. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    #244 Muppet, Feb 23, 2024
    Again you strangely overlook the fact of our free will. If indeed you don’t believe human free will exists, then of course the whole Christian narrative makes no sense. We’re just genetic code mindlessly spooling out. Ok fine but that’s remarkably unlike the world as it appears to me, and to most people. Didn’t mean you’re wrong, exactly; but if you’re right, then in my terms of reference there isn’t really a you to be right.
    Btw I may be mistaken but it sounds like your genetic code is causing you to type things that read a bit like someone judging the Israelis for doing what their genetic code is causing them to do.

20. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    No He didn’t make any bad. We did that all by ourselves.

21. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    We’re all “due” a smiting, but we don’t get one because God never punishes anyone.

22. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Okay, so in your story your god isn't responsible for making bad things, but it did make the people that make/do bad things, and that these bad people are part of the plan that the god has for the universe, right?

If so, then of course your god made bad things because the first bad thing it made was a faulty plan that required it to kill tons of people for not sticking to the plan.

23. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    I do apologise, I’m entertaining a guest. I’ll get back to you later but still hopefully leaving you time to repent.

24. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    What leads you to suggest God is inactive on this planet?

25. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    As an example; The israelis killing 30,000 women and children in just a few months and the (largely christian) world turning a blind eye.

I dunno, maybe in your god's view those women and children are bad and they deserve to be killed.

Also, when the US sanctioned Iraq and it led to the deaths of 500,000 iraqi children and your god was okay with that.

Your god thought a bunch of people bum fucking each other was bad enough to murder a couple of cities, and your god thought some debauchery was enough to wipe out entire populations, but now de facto genocide is happening in the name ofgod and your god s okay with it.

It all suggests your god no longer cares or, worse, your god is the cause of all of this death, murder, and dis-ease.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice