Sterilizing A Used Device?

Discussion in 'Difficulties with wearing a device?' started by andislut, Jul 10, 2021.

1. andislut

andislut Member

Local Time:
    12:31 PM
    I have a steel bijou I just received used, with a titanium pin. It was boiled in hot water before being sent out, but I want to be extra careful and sterilize it myself as well

What's the best way to go about it? Should I boil it? For how long? Should I just soak it in rubbing alcohol? In hydrogen peroxide?

Thanks for the advice! Not sure if this is the right forum, so I might cross-post, hope no one minds

2. Fetish

Fetish Junior Member

EU
    Local Time:
    6:31 PM
    15 min in the oven or even better in the air fryer @ 180°C should be OK.

In medical applications boiling is not OK as some microbes could survive 100°C, so special devices (autoclaves) adres used to boil in bigger temperatures under steam pressure.

3. collaredhubby

collaredhubby Long term member

Local Time:
    11:31 AM
    The hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol bath isn’t a bad idea either. Hydrogen peroxide is used to sanitize hospital surfaces and rubbing alcohol of at least 70 percent kills damn near everything. You really don’t have to go the autoclave route as boiling should be enough for a metal device. You could run it through your dishwasher if you have one. Just understands all these methods do kill the germs and/or neutralize them and if you do use a heat source type of sterilization don’t touch the hot metal parts right out of the oven/fryer/whatever.

4. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit I'm her bunny

USA
    Local Time:
    12:31 PM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice