Religious discussion (continued from “Christianity and Chastity”)

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Muppet, Feb 5, 2024.

1. Jay Sub

Jay Sub "Smaller is better"

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    11:49 PM
    It's where the evidence leads if you come at the topic without a prior agenda. Nevermind, I wouldn't expect someone who believes in the Bible to look at evidence, without trying to fit it into their beliefs, in other words, with no prior agenda. So I forgive you.

2. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    But you’re overlooking my personal and professional (secondary) research into the mind/body question and the fact that I only became a Christian at the age of 30, in part BECAUSE patristic anthropology provides a more sophisticated conceptual structure for addressing this topic than does neurology.
    What you seem to have going on is strikingly similar to what you criticise in me: you’ve plumped for a heuristic that intuitively strikes you as persuasive and are prepared to suspend your elsewhere much vaunted need for empirically falsifiable evidence… as indeed all researchers must, because you
    can’t yet know what would count as evidence. Proof is your goal, not your starting point.

3. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    My main difficulty with the model you advocate is its individualism. I’m pretty firmly committed to the idea that consciousness and intentionality are manifestations of matter, but the most startlingly obvious attribute that humans have, along with language, is the public (i.e. transpersonal) production of meaning. So no, I don’t find it plausible or compatible with what we already know to believe that my consciousness and intentionality is an epiphenomenon of the brain located in my skull. Far more plausible to consider it could be some sort of node in a far more complex structure

4. JaySaysYes

JaySaysYes I identify as someone that is always right

Local Time:
    Correct, and no amount of trying to show us that the Tin Man has freewill will change that, but please go ahead and try.

Your god is watching you, having written your story billions of years before you were even a sperm in your dad's ballsack, shaking it's head at the word utter garbage you wrote.

Your god is unsurprised that you believe characters in books have freewill, lol.

5. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Looking at the evidence is my starting point, proof is the goal, I'd agree. When you became a Christian is as irrelevant as when I went the other way because that's where the evidence leads. There is a world of difference to our approach.

6. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    I can’t figure if I’m being really unclear, or you’re being willfully obtuse! All I’m saying is that fictional characters exhibit free will WITHIN the fictional context! Obviously they don’t have free will as characters on a page! And my further point is to say, as Anne of Green Gables or Oliver Twist are for Montgomery and Dickens, so we for God.

7. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Not being deliberately obtuse. So because God knows all you think that is a good analogy to say that we are characters in his book. Then free will is out the window, and we only exhibit (mistakenly think we have) free will.

I just don't think it's a good comparison

8. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    What would the difference be between having free will and mistakenly thinking we have it?

9. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    We could go into simulation theory at this point, but then we could both be called obtuse. So without going into the philosophy of free will, which is an unnecessary detraction. We have free will. Any creature capable of making even a simple left or right decision based on the environmental factors presented to the environmental sensors that have evolved in their genes, has free will.

10. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    There is a strong argument for saying that there is no free will, but it is difficult to swallow, and no matter how much our previous experiences influence our present actions, as a thinking human it is better to strive to break the bad indoctrinations of the past, and continue to improve oneself. Something, that whichever side of the theological fence we sit on, that we all share. So socially, and legally it's important for society to judge that people do have free will, in the sense that they could have chosen not to do a bad thing.

It's an interesting area, but definition is important.

11. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Oh no, only this or that options. Maybe if I pray hard enough I might come up with a third or more options.

So, a character in a story has as much free will as the author allows and you are not saying that characters in stories have free will, after all.

Okay, well, you are pointing out the obvious. The author is your god and you are a mindless follower of your god, and since your god didn't make characters in your story that had free will, aside the evil ones that did the evol deeds your god prohibits, and you can't be one of those since you believe in your god and are a good god thingy.

So you are for your god.

I'm not, since your god doesn't exist in my reality. You are merely a pawn in the story you imagine your god has for you, and you lack the free will to stray off the rails of your track that your god has made for you.

But none of what you claim, has any basis in reality. It's just the hallucination of a mammal that thinks a god cares about him, AKA a giant ego, an I AM.

12. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    You have a whole lot of contradictory and eccentric notions of what Christianity is! Like for example this thing where you say Christians have giant egos, apparently cos you think we’re God’s favourite or something? That’s entirely in your own imagination though. I’m no more or less “special” to God than you are, or the woman sat in front of me on this bus, or Hitler.

littleguy3 likes this.
  13. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Of course you think you are. You believe your god created this place for you, is concerned about whether you wear polycotton or how often you masturbate, or whether you are "good" or "bad".

Only a giant ego would think a god, that created the universe and that exists beyond space and time, would do such a thing.

To be clear; When I say "you" I mean, humans, or more specifically, humans that identify as the children of a god or gods.

14. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    Not at all. God has concern and love for His creation from microcosm to macrocosm. I presume you also really care about people you love and stuff you’ve built. It goes hand in hand with theism to consider that God might give a shit.

littleguy3 likes this.
  15. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    So you don't believe your god made you in it's image and you think your god thinks you are no more special than the rest of the apes and slugs?

16. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    Also, it’s you who displays apparently strong emotion about the question of evil in the world! You have ofttimes expounded the idea that God is responsible for pain and suffering, war, genocide, child abuse etc, and then on the basis of this misunderstanding, you decry God as somehow unworthy of devotion. So I presume you think a loving God SHOULD care about His creatures’ individual welfare…?

littleguy3 likes this.
  17. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    I do believe He has a specific bond of love with humankind and intends us for deification. However it’s never occurred to me to think that I myself am some stand-out example of humanity.

littleguy3 likes this.
  18. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    So yes, your ego is giant.

I don't presume to think what a god should do, since I don't beleive in such fairy tales, I only observe that if your claim of there being a god is true then it's a pretty fucked up god.

I don't say your god isn't worthy of devotion. I say that your delusion needs therapy and a crash course in rational thinking.

19. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    That really makes no sense whatsoever. You appear not to believe in God, yet you believe things about God that are your own invention and run counter to Christian dogma (chiefly your bizarre idea that God makes bad things happen to people and this makes Him a “fucked up” God).
    So my real question is, if you don’t believe God exists and you don’t know what Christians believe, and additionally you think only someone with a giant ego would care about others, why does the whole topic hold any interest for you at all?

littleguy3 likes this.
  20. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    lol, nice try.

You have it backwards; You have a giant ego because you think your god cares about you, the special creatures on the planet that believes in space aliens that live beyond time.

21. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Local Time:
    Do you have any belief in a destiny or purpose to our existence as a species? I use the term “destiny” loosely to include your hopes or aspirations.

22. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Purpose? No. We are, as Alan Watts loosely said, merely feeding tubes that think they think.

Hopes and aspirations are very different to purpose or destiny. I don't think my personal hopes and aspitations for humans is useful.

How about you?

23. atxmtb

atxmtb Long term member

Local Time:
    5:49 PM
    Most of us, when we start practicing chastity, we stop masturbating. So, instead of masturbating with a penis, you guys seem to be masturbating with your words. No offense intended here, but in all the discussions that have taken place here, has anyone changed their thinking one bit? Has anyone raised a point or opinion that hasn't been raised before. Or are you guys just playing a game of ping-pong. Hoping to score a point, yet the game has no ending? Carry on.

littleguy3 likes this.
  24. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Oh, and along comes someone who only masturbates and thinks discussion is masturbating with words.

He also seems to think that unless there is something new then there is no point in discussion, much like that physics guy who never said "there is nothing new to be discovered in physics now; All that remains is more and more precise measurement".

At least we have his permission to continue, though.

@atxmtb, sit down bro, the adults are talking now, haha.

25. atxmtb

atxmtb Long term member

Local Time:
    5:49 PM
    Yeah, adult. Hah. Adults, typically are respectful. Regardless, have fun masturbating.

littleguy3 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice