Pleasure is the measure

Discussion in 'Chastity and orgasm denial' started by cshorts, Mar 12, 2023.

Random Thread
  1. cshorts

cshorts Locked in love for SL

Bay Area, California
    Local Time:
    12:03 PM
    I'm a bit surprised people haven't been discussing Emily Nagoski's book (or podcast based on the book), Come As You Are. It's a big seller, and is discussed a lot in various sexuality podcasts. Maybe because it's aimed at women, and most here are men? But many of the men here seem genuinely motivated to provide pleasure to their female partners, and to learn how to do so better... Maybe it's more interesting to me because I'm genderqueer and can identify more easily?

Anyway, one of her key ideas is that "pleasure is the measure", not achieving orgasm. Sure, orgasms are pleasurable but so is the journey ... even if orgasm isn't reached. And it's the pleasure that we want, even if there isn't an orgasm. That sounds like an idea lots of men here can identify with!

She writes about how to "turn off the offs" and create context so that pleasure is enhanced. She also writes about "slowing down the ons" -- that is, not rushing forward, not being orgasm driven, but enjoying the pleasure in the moment and letting it build slowly. Again, sound familiar to those who delay orgasm days, weeks, months?

By the way, on a search, I found only one previous mention of Nagoski here, and it was about this same idea:

She has many other ideas -- she's very smart and deeply expert. And though her practice and the way she writes the book is mostly aimed at women, the underlying science of desire, sexual response and pleasure is mostly gender neutral (as she frequently states, we all have the same parts, just arranged differently). I recommend this book highly -- the podcast will give you a shorter way to get the main ideas if you don't want to dig in as much.

2. WWSUB

WWSUB Long term member

Local Time:
    1:03 PM
    I’ll definitely have to check that out.

3. Xileh

Xileh Happily Serving

Local Time:
    I just downloaded it. Thanks for the write up!

4. littleguy3

littleguy3 Adoring husband

Bondservant to my wife
    USA - Virginia
    Local Time:
    3:03 PM
    I obviously listened to the podcast. But I discovered that both the e-book and audio book are available at no additional cost on the app Scribd. So I'm going to check it out and maybe get my wife to read it too.

5. Caged for life

Caged for life Long term member

Sheetmetal mechanic
    USA
    Local Time:
    Thanks I will check it out

6. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    8:03 PM
    Thanks il take a look.

7. Mistress ComDom

Verified Female

Wife Dom
    Local Time:
    Woman here...my opinion is that the build up without the orgasm is a let down. It's like saying I'm going to go to see the Statue of Liberty and just seeing a tiny replica. If I'm going down that road I want the O!

8. IB-Chaste

IB-Chaste Chastity Superman.

Local Time:
    8:03 PM
    That’s exactly why you won’t be asking your partner to hold the keys to your chastity belt any time soon :D.

No in seriousness, I haven’t read this book but I understand the concept. The touch, the excitement, the foreplay. It’s better than the orgasm itself for a man… but we have this silly little drop thing after. Goodbye erection and good times.

Women? Damn, they can just keep going for more

Sexy Slave 69 likes this.
  9. Mistress ComDom

Verified Female

Wife Dom
    Local Time:
    I haven't read it either but he said it was for women so I was just saying for me I don't just want to play I want to finish.

Sexy Slave 69 and IB-Chaste like this.
  10. cshorts

Bay Area, California
    Local Time:
    Just to clarify about what Nagoski's is about: she is not recommending orgasm denial for women(generally: she does discuss how it can be effective as a temporary therapeutic technique for women with a particular difficulty). In what I was discussing, she is addressing women who have difficulty reaching orgasm, and argues that making orgasm the goal can be a central part of the problem: not achieving a goal is frustrating (in the usual, negative sense) and that it results in feelings (stress) that make it *harder* to achieve orgasm, leading to more frustration, and so on. She then argues that if women focus on experiencing pleasure as the *goal* then the sensations of the buildup towards orgasm result in positive feelings, even if orgasm isn't reached every time or as quickly as the old goal had set for it, and without the stress it actually becomes easier to achieve orgasm.

I raised this here because I thought this also was relevant to chastity and intentional orgasm denial (which is not what she is writing about): we are choosing to deny orgasm, and developing a heightened sense of the pleasure from the journey towards. By choosing to do without orgasms (at least sometimes), many here seem to find they are able to experience greater pleasure .... and, at least sometimes, greater pleasure when we do reach orgasm.

IB-Chaste likes this.
  11. Mistress ComDom

Verified Female

Wife Dom
    Local Time:
    Ahh I see that makes sense. Honestly most of my life I didn’t really know this was a problem for women but the older I got I heard a lot of women have issues with it.

12. cshorts

Bay Area, California
    Local Time:
    We've heard throughout our adult years that the majority of women can't come with penetration alone, and that many have trouble orgasming at all. Not why we were reading the book (it's about much, much more) -- my KH orgasms very easily (often with less than a minute of oral stimulation) and multiply, so it's foreign to us. But we feel for those for whom this is an issue, and this book apparently is helping many women enjoy more pleasure.

Rectrix, littleguy3 and true42 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice