Covid-19

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by PouchPantyLover, Mar 18, 2020.

1. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    1:07 PM
    i've been following the advice on frequent drinking..it really does make sense to me.. I have been and intend to be as often as I need to be out of the house almost everyday and into the city centre and supermarkets, markets shops etc. So far so good.

2. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    That must be a pleasant relief Lucy ....

and on the subject of social spacing..

I like that the small collection of shops near me is almost dead. The pub is shut the both the bookies are shut, the career unemployed and associated life-style over drinkers are no longer in evidence meandering between the three and openly smoking cannabis..probably skunk, whilst all kids are passing on their way home from school. The group of women that normally seem to hang around most of the day finding things to argue about amongst themselves are not there either. A definite improvement if you ask me.

L-u-c-y likes this.
  3. Shimone

Shimone Long term member

management consultant
    Singapore
    Local Time:
    2:07 PM
    @filltee Trust a goverment page to your drinking water every 15 minutes myth ?

https://www.bmbf.de/de/faktencheck-zum-coronavirus-11162.html

If you would like it in english just google it - every large news company (bbc, cnn, nytimes etc) call it a hoax.

Apart from this I am a post doc pharmacist and even if viral infections are not the core of my day to day work I know a thing or two about them...

4. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    I've come to no harm with that advice ...as yet.. so I'll just carry on thanks.
    Hell if i'm out in public places and not riding my bike.. I use tiny sips of vodka its damn sight more effective at killing germs than water. And most people who see me think I'm an alkie and stay even further away... win win.

5. Nau

Nau New member

Local Time:
    2:07 PM
    I attach a link to a video of a Bill Gates talk. It is from five years ago and it seems incredible the future vision of this man. At the same level as Nostradamus.

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gate...ad&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare

Although the world political leadership is deficient (Miss Lucy, you should found the political party soon, we need it :) ), I am optimistic. This crisis will not be solved by politicians, but by science. It will come from scientists, from someone who discovers an antiviral, from someone who invents instant tests, from someone who discovers some system that does not allow the virus to be transmitted so easily, etc.

I think it will come, because humanity has progressed spectacularly, thanks to ideas, thanks to the human brain, which is a very powerful machine. Right now many of those brains are focused on solving this problem. All the countries of the world are cooperating. When there is a discovery somewhere in the world, it is instantly communicated in the rest of the world. And we are building the knowledge of one on top of the knowledge of the other. And right now thousands of investigations are being done to discover drugs. I trust science a lot, I trust the enormous amount of wise people who are currently thinking how to solve the problem, therefore I am very confident that we will have a solution and that we will have it relatively soon.

We only need time, that is to say patience.

L-u-c-y likes this.
  6. remyruff

remyruff Long time member

Los Cabos
    Local Time:
    6:07 AM
  7. the odd tease

the odd tease Long term member

North America
    Local Time:
    8:07 AM
    Thank you for what you are doing for us! Bravo!

8. HusbandX

HusbandX Long term member

Local Time:
    I'm presently stuck in Europe. We're moving things around the globe at a break neck speed, constant 20+ hour days, minimum rest in between, different country every night. I'm booked into several hotels in different countries at the same time, right now, and most of them are empty. The North Atlantic was dead quite two nights ago. Amsterdam Schiphol, a ghost town. Same for Frankfort, and so on. China is busy.

Ventilators, masks, anything that can move and is needed somewhere, and everyone wants it now.

I've had one meal in 3 days. Hoping for a second today.

It's busy.

9. Eve

Eve Long term member

semi retired
    USA West Michigan
    Local Time:
    8:07 AM
    It is what it is dealing with it day by day

10. Achedlock17

Achedlock17 Long term member

Local Time:
    I agree with what you say. I would add one thing though: politics and broader cultural norms such as a free press are important as well, in that I strongly suspect that there is little innovation in North Korea (except in ways to defend/preserve the status quo). We need open societies with cultures that foster creative thinking as well as criticism of all ideas for science to prosper. I am an optimist in that regard but we should be wary of press censorship, state sponsored curricula with no wriggle room and many other bad ideas. In this crisis my main concern has been the lack of good regular science based journalism. We are say 5 months into it now, and there will have been progress in our knowledge in how to deal with it in 3 main areas: 1 treatment protocols by patient category 2 pharmaceutical treatments 3 vaccines. One has to search for news of this stuff, but it is happening I have no doubt. So this isn't a criticism of "the media" in the sense of "there is too much criticism by journalists" it is a criticism of the media in that "there is a real good news story here but it isn't being covered enough". More journalism and more voices, please!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice