Covid-19 and Life

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Hubby&Missy, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Hubby&Missy

Hubby&Missy Love keeps us together

Machine shop owner
    Local Time:
    7:50 AM
    I don’t know if this is the right place for this because it is not light hearted enough for the bar but it isn’t even about chastity. I just have to vent to someone and I guess you people are unlucky enough to be my captive audience. I don’t think it belongs as part of the our story blog so I’ll just do a separate subject and I am sorry if it does not belong on this site..

Covid-19 is making everything very hard. My business has slowed, even the military buying, but it is still doing okay. I end up with a lot more free time on my hands though which definitely tries my patience some. I was used to working more than 8 hours a day.

The real problem is for Missy. Our internet service is terrible where we live. We upgraded from DSL to satellite a couple years ago but it is still not good enough for serious streaming or reliable Zoom meetings. One of the cable companies says they will have service in our area by late summer so here is hoping. Since Missy has to interview financial officers and always has financial news streaming on her little computer for work she can’t work from home very well so she and a few other employees have been allowed to work at the office throughout. The cafeteria does not serve food and she can’t even use the coffee maker so she started brown bagging and eating lunch at her desk. Last summer more people started coming to work and it was getting more normal but this fall when the covid surge hit again it got crazy. The company put in new safety rules. She can’t leave her cubicle except for bathroom breaks and only one person is allowed to go at a time. Each person has an assigned lunch time that they have to take in the breakroom and that is the only time she can lower her mask. All communication is by text or e-mail to minimize talking. She is good at her job and she loves the job but it is starting to get to her. These last couple of months she is so frustrated and at her wits end when she gets home. She has no patience and if she had a temper it would be very short so instead she just gets “chippy.” Then she realizes she is taking it out on me and apologizes and feels bad. but it goes on for quite a while after she gets home. Yesterday must have been a very bad day because she was more chippy than usual. At one point I told her to just let it all out. Yell and scream at me and say anything you want. I told her I would understand and when she finished I would hold her till she could relax. She said she couldn’t yell at me because it isn’t my fault and that would not be fair to me. Then she started to bawl and I just held her for two or three minutes and she eventually calmed down. When we went to bed I told her I loved her very much and then just held her till she went to sleep. She seems to be much better this morning. Tonight is a no sex night for the timing thing and that is probably good. She needs to just relax this weekend before she goes back to work on Monday.

Is covid-19 affecting any other couple’s relationship dynamic and how are you dealing with it if it is?

2. Guest 6019

Guest 6019 Long term member

Local Time:
    12:50 PM
    We will get through this. Life will get better. Can we all send you both a big group hug. Xxxx

3. Hubby&Missy

Machine shop owner
    Local Time:
    Thank you. The support here does help mentally. If anyone has ideas on how to support Missy during this chaos I would be grateful.

4. homebody

homebody In awe of GoddesofHomebody

Local Time:
    Those are really difficult working conditions she is dealing with. I could definitely see how it is effecting her. You have offered to let her take out her frustrations on you and her response if very loving. Perhaps there can be another avenue for her to release stress. Maybe like a literal punching bag? Something physical can sometimes relieve stress.

It has really had an effect on us even though we have been so lucky. We haven't lost anyone to Covid and we are all still employed so it almost seems like whining when I express my frustration. But we weren't' able to see our kids over the holidays and that is still really bothering my wife. I can do everything to help her, but it doesn't change the fact she can't hug our kids.

I do think we will get through this but we still aren't at the end. I hope you both support each other and take comfort in each others love

borbulls1961 likes this.
  5. Lazlo Toth

Lazlo Toth C/D on the TomAllen-Rectrix scale: 9/9

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    4:50 AM
    You guys are far from alone!

VeryEnd likes this.
  6. knight4princess

knight4princess Active member

Househusband
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Local Time:
    I completely sympathize with your situation. This has been a stressful ordeal for us as well -- but perhaps not as severe as your situation.

My wife works at a hospital, where people are dying from Covid literally every shift she works. Even though she has almost no direct patient contact, just going to work has been unbelievably scary. We have spent weeks at home, just going to the grocery or home improvement store as our only break to the monotony. We have had a few exceptions but mainly it's just the two of us day after day after day especially since the Covid spike began this fall.

Fortunately, there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. She got her second Covid vaccine this past week and we have a three-week trip (keyed upon social distancing) to Florida coming up in late February. I may qualify for a vaccination in March.

I'm optimistic that we can start to see some signs of normalcy -- and some relaxation of pandemic rules at workplaces and throughout our day-to-day lives -- during the coming springtime. Best wishes and good vibes to you!

7. StubHub

StubHub Long term member

Retired
    Central iowa
    Local Time:
    6:50 AM
    You could setup videos and thumb drive them and mail between you guys and kids via mail. Living letter approach can text during viewing. Not the best but get to see each other. Alternative is cell service video chats.

8. Hubby&Missy

Machine shop owner
    Local Time:
    Thank you all. She is normally not into hitting or anything violent but I mind fiond a pillow she can hit or throw or maybe something she can break. It is worth a try.

9. Jinkyu

Jinkyu Long term member

Seattle area
    Local Time:
    I'm in the same boat with internet. do you have verizon 4g where you are? I use 2 verizon jetpacks. I do huuuge amounts of online work and usually cache both jetpacks out the last week of the pay period. they still do 600kbps after they run out of "full data" which is enough to do videos anyway. we don't stream or anything on them, we use a local (slow AF) wireless provider for house internet stuff. im waiting on Elon to ship more starlink satellites... cheers!

10. StubHub

StubHub Long term member

Retired
    Central iowa
    Local Time:
    Understand yes mostly 4G. But have cable high speed at home. When I am there.

11. LesterBallard

LesterBallard Long term member

Management
    United Kingdom
    Local Time:
    I sympathise. It's a terrible situation we're all in. Keep fighting on...

12. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    Isn't 4G something to do with PA piercings?

JackStrap and knight4princess like this.
  13. StubHub

StubHub Long term member

Retired
    Central iowa
    Local Time:
    Cell data service class to my knowledge

14. ldsnet

ldsnet Active member

Local Time:
    Yup been there! These rules are put in place "for our safety" completely ignoring that we are social creatures, we thrive on the interaction with others. Even introverts can't go through life without contact and human interaction.

You did the right thing in recognizing and caring.

15. BarbCD

BarbCD Long term member

Gainfully employed!
    Connecticut, USA
    Local Time:
    That is a very challenging and unfortunate work situation for her. Seems like the company might be going a little overboard, but I understand their concerns. I also understand that for every employee willing to take a small risk for the sake of socialization and camaraderie there are others who don’t want any risk....and when you have to have people in the office it can be difficult to find a solution.

I wish I had some great advice for you or her. You are wise to acknowledge her “chippiness” as not being your fault.

If physical actions don’t destress her, maybe suggest she write out her complaints and anger, as if she was going to send to HR or a trusted friend. But then delete it instead of sending. For many people letting the thoughts flow from brain to hand to keyboard iven be very therapeutic.

16. Hubby&Missy

Machine shop owner
    Local Time:
    I agree with you BarbCD. I find writing here to be a safe place and it helps me vent. Sort of why I started this thread. So far she is not really seeing that. For now I just have to try to get her to just vent at me and then let her know I lover her and care even if I can't make it better.

17. Hubby&Missy

Machine shop owner
    Local Time:
    We tried the Verizon jetpack but it wasn't that fast for some reason. Never got above about 10 mbps. One microsoft update download could use almost all the data. I use a lot for my business also.

18. StubHub

StubHub Long term member

Retired
    Central iowa
    Local Time:
    Data service is not everywhere. When I go South I fall into 3g world.

Best of luck hope cable gets to you soon.

19. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    It's weird, for some reason I thought you guys in the US had better broadband than us. I live in a village in the UK and get upto 35mps, though mid 20s is usual. Must be frustrating.

@StubHub Yeah I know. Lol

20. StubHub

StubHub Long term member

Retired
    Central iowa
    Local Time:
    Technology is definitely not everywhere.

21. HusbandX

HusbandX Long term member

Local Time:
    My wife is home alone a lot, because I am often on the road, often for extended periods of 45 days or more. Covid has made for a lot of time away, largely supporting Covid on a global scale this past year, with several months in which we were told there would be no time off, no vacation. So, Covid has meant more isolation, more distance, longer periods away, shorter times home.

My wife doesn't go out unless she has to, and has two dogs to keep company. They sleep in our bed.

A much bigger concern is that I am constantly traveling, constantly exposed, which puts her at risk for my coming home, and also dictates distancing between us when I am home, for safeties sake.

22. BarbCD

BarbCD Long term member

Gainfully employed!
    Connecticut, USA
    Local Time:
    It’s an ongoing Federal level issue here in the US about poor broadband, especially in rural areas. As the old saw goes “we could put a man on the moon.....”

23. HusbandX

HusbandX Long term member

Local Time:
    I knew a young lady many ears ago who had a poster over her bed that said "If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they put them all?"

tomf_22033 and MrsBR_Saiph like this.
  24. VeryEnd

VeryEnd Active member

Milton Keynes
    Local Time:
    If you can improve mobile reception with your PA, we need to talk

MrsBR_Saiph and bondinchas like this.
  25. Guest 6019

Local Time:
    It's not that big!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice