Chinese goods and their price policy

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by filltee, Nov 19, 2017.

1. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    2:02 AM
    They will but bucks I think are not the main objective.
    The Chinese are noted for thier patience. Round about the start of the 1900s there were a number of events taking place at once and basically China was deep in financial shit and they had a really bad famine. Bodies being unearthed now from the sides of roads with bellys full of clay. Stories of families from one village taking a trip to their neares village and exchanging their biggest and fattest daughters. That kind of famine.

The West or 1st world nations whatever you want to collectively call Europew the UK, the USA, Australia New Zealand., decended on China not to help or offer assitance but like vultures all vieing to outdo each other in the exploitation of what remained of China's economy. The first world war's looming inevitability diverted attention away from China until the outbreak of war then all had other concerns and China was left to lick its wounds.....and rebuild

Their revolution, WW2 did not help matters, but were simply set backs China is now back on its own two feet and then some. Their shoddy goods and poor made them money and drove the development of expertise. Now the Chinese are flooding the markets with good quality gear and happily ignore copyright if they can make it nearly as well, as well or better. The prices of these goods are in some cases heavily subsidised or because they use prison labour. The point is not how they are low its why.

They are undercutting everyone in the first world, our manufacturing base is being eroded as they can't compete, the skills needed to manufacture are redundant and being lost, no-one is learning them. In a generation or two.. do not laugh or doubt this, the Chinese are extremely patient. Business plans over years rather months or over decades rather than years ..time is their friend.

In a couple of generations the Chinese will have most of the West's money, control of most of the world's resources, and the only remaining major manufacturing ability and superstructure.. Then they will simply say fuck you (that's us) and put their pices up to where the ought to be and watch us squirm.

They will be the only country that can aford to be a superpower their neighbours along with thier economies they will assimilate or crush. Their only competition possibly Russia and maybe India the West will be (and by design) bankrupt.

Can you afford not to buy low cost Chinese Knock offsand goods?
    Or should the question be..... Can we afford the consequences of buying them?

I can't speak for other countries but here in the UK the politicians are constantly arguing about the immigrants from Africa the Middle East and Eastern Europe. So do the far right nuts and th elooney left dweebs.
    What I see every time I go into town is increasingly more Chinese. Mine is a 2 university city, 2 major teaching hospitals, a leading children's hospital, a respected dental hospital all full of students and where are an increasing number of them from..
    Over the last few years I've noticed an infulux of female chinese students. Then female chinese students pushing prams, then female chisnes students pushing prams with their mothers and then th enumber of male chines students started to grow exponentially,. What is all this leading up to. We having a China town purpose built from scratch right on the edge of the city centre all financed by one man.. a chinese man of course.

Instead of French or German the kids in th etop school shere are starting to learn Chinese. read into all that whatever you like.

Still wanna buy that cheap good quality Chinese... anything?

Mash2214 likes this.
  2. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    Sorry I tried to correct my spelling but the " edit " timed out. I opened it in time but not completed it fast enough.
    I'd have written it in Word but It only started out as knee jerk few lines.. never intended it as a novelette.

3. Mash2214

Mash2214 Locked today, tomorrow, forever

Business Owner, servant
    Canada
    Local Time:
    7:02 PM
    You make a good argument. But myself at 55 I'm ok with saving a few dollars. My purchases won't change the world very much in my lifetime. PS I wear a Chinese cage.

4. paulie slave

paulie slave Locked house husband

House Husband
    Scotland
    Local Time:
    Things change. Always have always will. A friend of Nigel perchance? I am also wearing a Chinese cage and have no issue on any moral grounds. The politicians are not going on about immigration, just certain newspapers, it's all Brexit and you know it.

5. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    8:02 PM
    It’s odd we keep referring to them as Chinese. I don’t say I’m going to Walmart to buy Chinese things, yet that’s where most of everything is made. I don’t talk about getting a new pair of Chinese sneakers.

The fact that we had (USA) a giant boom in manufacturing (unlike any in human history) was due to the perfect storm of other countries recouping from war and our baby boom generation. It isn’t economically feasible for us to even make most products even if we could compete with their unethical low wages, the materials needed still need to be brought here.

Instead of focusing on factory work that we can never fully regain, our new way forward is education. Technology, management, and engineering the means for those countries are the future. No we won’t have hundreds of factories with menial labor, we will have management teams, engineers designing robots and animatronics, computer designers, trouble shooting experts, etc.

6. danleft1

danleft1 Long term member

South East USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    9:02 PM
    While I agree with a lot of what @Nicoftime and @filltee have to say ... my issues with what I call "Chinese" products (is not just China, they are just one of the biggest offenders / influences) is that the playing field is very skewed. For example lets say that something is going to be manufactured out of raw materials out of Africa in the USA verses China ... just the simple manufacture compliance in the USA for material handling can make a large difference, then add in labor cost (even at minimum wage) and the playing field is completely skewed in favor of the country willing to manipulate the system.

So really I have no problem with any county selling a product that they have developed and are "playing" fair ... but when you let someone else do the R & D and test the market then you just come in and undercut them using a skewed system ... I call "foul".

I personally believe that the issue really has nothing to do with China really, the issue is that countries are not protecting themselves from a player that is willing to manipulate the rules of the game to win ... This is why import tax / VAT / duties / what ever you want to call them are for ... they are to create a buffer so that a country can not easily do what @filltee is suggesting.

I also slightly disagree with @Nicoftime to the extent that a country most control at a minimum a commodity (if they are not going to manufacture) ... you must have some leverage to ensure you are able to maintain your management position. I will use the USA and oil as an example ... while most people think it is about the USA needing oil to use / burn, the reality is it is about all oil used in the world because OPAC agreed to sell / trade / buy oil in USD this means that all countries have to have USD which forces them to invest in the USA even if it is for a day, they are still doing it. This was one of the ways Iran recently told the US to F-off they sold oil but did not do it using USD.

So in the simplest of terms Trade between countries needs to be equal / fair / not skewed / etc ... If everyone is playing by the same set of "rules" there will still be a winner, but the other players are not going to be "crushed" ... btw I'm not saying the USA always plays fair either, I'm not naive.

Nicoftime likes this.
  7. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    8:02 PM
    I have heard that buying American in Europe is terribly expensive due to that very fact. Protection with high tariffs and taxes. It seems to be only for certain countries or industries though, I am sure there are plenty of clothes and other misc items still made in Asia and inexpensive.

danleft1 likes this.
  8. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    Also remember that Iran and Libiya both had been dealing in gold and other currencies when selling oil to some countries. Not that them doing so HAD ANTHING to do with them being invaded.

The agreement of which you speak is the Bretton Woods agreement.
    ................The chief features of the Bretton Woods system were an obligation for each country to adopt a monetary policy that maintained the exchange rate (± 1 percent) by tying its currency to gold and the ability of the IMFto bridge temporary imbalances of payments. Also, there was a need to address the lack of cooperation among other countries and to prevent manipulation and devaluation of the currencies as well. (That bit re:manipulation obviously did not work too well)

Preparing to rebuild the international economic system during WW2 730 delegates from all 44of the Alliesmet in bretton Woods in the United States, for the United Nations Monetary and Financial Conference. The delegates deliberated during 1–22 July 1944, and signed the Bretton Woods agreement on its final day. Setting up a system of rules, institutions, and procedures toestablish and regulate the IMF. The USA which then controlled two thirds of the world's gold, insisted that the Bretton Woods system rest on both gold and US dollar.Russia had also attended the conference but would not sign saying the institutions they had created were "branches of Wall Street". They were not far wrong

On 15 August 1971, the United States unilaterally stopped vasing the dollar on gold effectively bringing the Bretton Woods system to an end and making the dollar a Fiat currency .. which was the start of America's financial troubles.

So anyone selling oil and not dealing in dollars is no longer in breach of the Bretton Woods agreement whether they had agreed to it or succumbed to America's bullying tactics. Many people Americans included believed that US wealth was because of their superior manufacturing base and quality of goods... The manufacturing base is much depleted now and was never as good or as big as people believed. Us wealth came very much from oilt being traded in dollars.

When the US dropped the gold standard and made the dollar so much worthless paper they basically committed finacial suicide. Which is why the USA is slowly and irreversibly sliding down the economic toilet. Other countries did the same but US wealth was based on the one tome value that the dollar had.

Whether or not you think that was done deliberately I leave to you.

Before you make any decisions about any of this if you have not watched it already try this ... .... don't try and watch it all at once its quite long and the first 30 minutes is not relevent to this topic but does show how religions have been used to control us and is interesting enough itself to make the whole thing worth watching in my view but may offend some people for whom their faith (any faith ) is important.

The rest is good and relevent. There are any number of other more recent videos produced under the banner of Zeitgiest and cover myriad similar topics. Not all everyone's cup of tea... the truth can hurt and some prefer to keep their heads ...in the sand..lets be polite.

Enjoy. It will certianly take your mind off TTTWD for a little while.

danleft1 likes this.
  9. danleft1

danleft1 Long term member

South East USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    9:02 PM
    It is amazing that if you stop just listening to what the "media" (misdirection and half the truth) hands you as fact and dig into why things are the way they currently are how much your opinion changes to what is going on in the world.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice