China bans sissy's on TV

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Guest 2628, Sep 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Guest 2628

Guest 2628 Long term member

Local Time:
    11:26 PM
    2nd September, the Chinese 'Leader' announced a sweeping 'reformation' of Media, targeting abnormal practices.

"The government’s TV regulator said broadcasters must “resolutely put an end to sissy men and other abnormal aesthetics” on screen, and used an insulting term for effeminate men – “niang pao”, which translate as “girlie guns”.

Well, that's enlightened and inclusive isn't it? What next? Persecution, Imprisonment? Torture? Death? The world has a long way to go!

Time to feel blessed by your relative freedom and to give a thought for those who must keep in the shadows because of who they are!

2. keephimcaged

Verified Female

UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I mean, yes... You've read about the one million Uyghurs in re-education camps in Xianjiang, right? It's a full on genocide. Enlightened and inclusive isn't anything you can expect from the Chinese Communist Party.

Dianna1395 likes this.
  3. winstonmacgregor

winstonmacgregor Long term member

Local Time:
    6:26 PM
    I think that this is an attempt by China to not inherit the kind of problems we have in the west. All of the gender/sexual orientations and the divisions that exist around them. They are also taking measures to attempt to not have wealth gaps between rich and poor. It seems like it is all their attempt to prove how western cultures are bad and to position themselves as a global influencer. It is all about image to them and not what lies under the surface.

4. Alana

Alana Long term member

California
    Local Time:
    3:26 PM
    Oh Well,
    So much for my dream of becoming a TV star in China :rolleyes:

MissCarly and Guest 2628 like this.
  5. winstonmacgregor

winstonmacgregor Long term member

Local Time:
    That depends or whether or not you are willing to play ball. What are your feelings about growing a handlebar moustache and walking around with a glass of scotch while a cigarette dangles out of your mouth?

6. Alana

Alana Long term member

California
    Local Time:
    3:26 PM
    Me?, ...with facial hair?
    Not Gonna happen LOL

Guest 2628 likes this.
  7. Guest 8927

Guest 8927 Long term member

Local Time:
    4:26 PM
    It's sad. I am lucky to live in Edmonton, which is a very inclusive city. I am always nervous appearing in public, but for the most part people rarely take notice of me. I have been to China for work a few times, a few years ago, and it doesn't surprise me at all. The people there live in abject fear of saying or doing the wrong thing in the eyes of the Government.

8. jemima

jemima maid for my Mistress

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    giggle. i wud have to have a sticky on beard cos i cant grow hair there no more. and i not allow to smoke.

9. Guest 2628

Local Time:
    Absolutely. Muslims in 'camps', official go erment 're-education' programs. All very sad and disturbing.
    I'm extremely aware of any such issues.
    I hope to draw attention to such things through something that affects part of our own, alternative community.
    Thank you for posting.

10. Guest 2628

Local Time:
    That's a comment from real life experience. Thank you for posting!

11. sandman9355

sandman9355 Junior Member

Local Time:
    12:26 AM
    Trouble is, so many in this community are all so willing to turn a blind eye to the atrocities so many Muslims are guilty of, so eager to protect other dangerous groups, and so eager to damage the society that protects the community, that it is no wonder China became even less LGBT-friendly.

Yes, I've repeatedly publicly spoke against what China does to Uyghurs, because two wrongs don't make a right. But it leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth every time I do it, because me being who I am is an offense punishable by death under Islamic law and I'm all too aware of how many people are willing to ignore or even deny that threat.

We got to a point where many LGTB people flat out refuse to attend a Pride or such. Not because they're afraid of what some anti-gay haters or others of that ilk might do. Because they hate how fringe crazies managed to twist a fight for fairness into hate and identity politics.

Is it okay to point out the evils that China is guilty of? Yes, and I've done so myself. But if we don't clean our own house too, even Western societies can turn way more hostile towards LGBT+ folks than they're now.

Dianna1395 and Guest 2628 like this.
  12. Guest 2628

Local Time:
    I agree with your sentiments and as I've said in response to other bits of this thread, it's a vehicle that hopefully highlights the entire issue, not just with China. The UK as a whole seems, particularly, very racist to me as much as anything else but organised religions of many flavours denounce, overtly or covertly, those not deemed to be 'righteous' within their book. It's not individuals of a certain faith that are to blame here but indoctrination by those who attain power in those organisations.
    The few misleading and misinforming the many.

13. R2002

R2002 Long term member

Attorney
    USA
    Local Time:
    Over 40 years ago I was a member of the student group of what was once the largest Maoist organization in the US. The group I belonged to was quite homophobic and transphobic. A small remnant of that organization still exists and I will say to its credit that they have changed and now welcome LGBTQ people

Guest 2628 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice