Did you have any chaffing when first starting out?

Discussion in 'Difficulties with wearing a device?' started by Consumed, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Consumed

Consumed Right where I belong.

Albany NY
    Local Time:
    2:38 AM
    Specifically ring chafing. I know my ring is sized well but when my wife removed it last night to shave, I had some very minor irritation from the base ring.

Anyone else have this and if so did it go away quickly or slowly?
    Did it ever come back?
    Did you use anything for creams?

2. billzboats

billzboats 63rd birthday

Groundskeeper
    US
    Local Time:
    1:38 AM
    I get severe ball burn after 24 hrs or so

3. Spoonie

Spoonie New member

Seattle
    Local Time:
    11:38 PM
    Yes -- sometimes it is the material - but even when I had a high quality mature metal device (which I no longer have -- I need to get a new one probably) i had some issues for a little bit of a "breaking in" period. I used to use some of the advice here: use petroleum jelly, lotion, etc. But recently as I have been re-initiating this lifestyle with a new partner, I've realized that the lubricants can actually sort of contribute to some chafing. Baby powder (talc free, as talc is linked to some cancers in women) seems to be a good path to go. For me, Eliminating moisture around the ring seems to be the best approach to eliminating friction. I've seen some people here here advocate going with smaller rings over time. I've given this a try as I realized a 50mm, while very comfortable, seemed to almost slip down (especially in a very warm shower or tub) -- the result was that it was the feeling of more weight and a lot more movement of the base ring. The smaller ring I'm trying recently moves a lot less but puts a bit more "strain" on the balls (maybe what @billboats is calling ball burn). I found that keeping the area warm (especially at night) helped to break that in a bit (for me, I put rice in an old sock, tied it up and popped it in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds to create a little heating pad). This encourages the area to "relax" a bit to settle in.

If my KH lets me out, which she is prone to do more often that I'd probably like, she sometimes will have me out for a few days in a row. For this cheap off-the-rack (non-custom) device, that means means I have to break in a little bit again once I'm back in. It has been several years since I had my custom device, but I don't recall the being an issue.

For me -- as I'm restarting this with a new partner -- I've decided to try a range of inexpensive devices first (aliexpress has a lot to choose from if you can be patient and wait for the shipping) -- not because I don't think a custom device is worth it, but because I think I was impatient when ordering my last one and I probably could have gotten a better fit by first understanding what worked and didn't work with various non-custom devices. I went from a CB-6000 to a custom device (in 2011) -- i don't know if the design of the CB-6000 has changed since then, but it was a difficult device for me to wear and caused a lot of chafing in the ring area.

This is probably a little more information that you wanted/needed. In short:
    • If you're gonna use an ointment -- probably use something like Aquafor (not a water-based lotion)
    • Try applying Talc-free powder to the area and keep the area as dry as possible.
    • Underwear: Eliminate friction and use breathable materia. David Archy has some interesting designs include a dual pocket design that can be very useful, but if the fit isn't snug it can also cause friction. With a tighter ring, no underwear is often better for me.

J.D. and Consumed like this.
  4. Anonoman

Anonoman Long term member

Local Time:
    7:38 AM
    The only time I ever had any soreness is if I’ve shaved at the top. Never use any lotions or potions or lube ether. Do get a really sore perineum with the early morning erection - just have to go to the loo and make sure my balder is empty o_O

5. Disciplined Boyfriend

NE Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Use a silicon based lube - couple of drops and no chaffing ever

6. jemima

jemima maid for my Mistress

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    i use Cocoa cream all over me.

7. tecolote

tecolote Long term member

Government
    California
    Local Time:
    11:38 PM
    Yes to chafing, but a poor fit will keep chafing. A good fit will be better (probably from the start). When you are starting out, it's hard to determine if you have a good fit or not. So far, I'm finding that straight rings bother me, where a ring with an ergonomic curve is better.

8. ChasteCel

ChasteCel 7/6 on the TomAllen-Rectrix scale

Local Time:
    2:38 AM
    I swear by Aquaphor - petroleum jelly based skin care ointment.

Helps stop chafing but if it does occur the skin-friendly stuff helps it heal right up.

I second the notes about getting a good fit. And something that's a little counter-intuitive to look at if you're getting it bad is to see about adjusting the "gap" between the ring and the cage where your balls fit through. Some people (me for instance) need it bigger than the normal. I got mine increased from the "Standard' 10mm to 15 and it was 100x more comfortable.

Disciplined Boyfriend likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice