Stainless Steel Allergy?

Discussion in 'Difficulties with wearing a device?' started by NikkiAnton, Jun 29, 2023.

1. NikkiAnton

NikkiAnton Active member

Redondo Beach CA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    3:14 AM
    I have been wearing a Mature Metal cage off and on for about 4 years now, and have gone as long as 3 months without removal. I recently locked up again after a couple months cage free. Within 3-4 days, by balls got very red and irritated, and the skin actually started drying up and flaking off.

I had heard that some people can't wear stainless steel cages because they are allergic to the nickel used in stainless steel.

Is it possible to develop an allergy over time, when there previously had not been any problems?

Is there any treatment for this type of allergy?

I'd hate have to go through getting a new custom cage, probably Titanium. From what I read, the resin cages are not good for long term wear, and need to be removed almost daily for cleaning to eliminate odors.

2. jemima

jemima maid for my Mistress

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    11:14 AM
    ooh. i have not hear of somebody get that after it been ok for ages and ages but i hope that you get better and it stop happen.

3. subrick

subrick Junior Member

Engineering/Technical Education.
    USA, Western Massachusetts.
    Local Time:
    6:14 AM
    Yes, absolutely. Case in point, a neighbor who had eaten shellfish all her life and never had an issue, had some on a cruise when she was in her 60's and had a reaction that nearly killed her.

Is it possible that before you stored your cage you cleaned or treated it with some type of chemical which might have left a residue on the surface? Perhaps that caused an irritation after a few days.

Well, I hope you can figure it out soon.

Good Luck,

~subrick

4. Hey1234

Hey1234 Active member

Local Time:
    Yes. About 1 in 5 people have allergic contact dermatitis to nickel. A key metal used to make stainless steel. Allergic contact dermatitis reactions build over time, so that might explain what you are experiencing.

If you wanted an experiment, get a can of Everbite coating and spray the cage. The instructions lists a few cleaners you clean the cage prior to spraying. The same cleaners can completely remove the coasting if you want.

if the coating makes a difference you can just use the device coated. I did for a while but eventually changed to a Ti model.

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/protectaclear

Bob Spade likes this.
  5. NikkiAnton

NikkiAnton Active member

Redondo Beach CA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I coated the base ring with clear Plasti-dip tool coating. Just wearing the base ring now to see if that is enough to solve my problem.

Bob Spade likes this.
  6. Hey1234

Hey1234 Active member

Local Time:
    Plasti-drip will most likely cause a reaction of its own —the dyes and the plastic resin. I think the safety sheet recommends not skin contact.

7. NikkiAnton

NikkiAnton Active member

Redondo Beach CA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    The Plasti-dip didn't work as planned. It did seem to stop the allergic reaction, but the coconut oil I use as a lubricant to prevent chaffing quickly destroyed the Plasti-dip.

I ordered some ProtectaClear from Everbrite. Hopefully it is a little more durable to creams and lotions.

Thanks for the inputs!

8. Bob Spade

Bob Spade C4/D5 on the TomAllen-Rectrix scale

Netherlands, Region Oss
    Local Time:
    12:14 PM
    Hope it works for you. I have mine powder coated now because of the Nickel in Stainless steel, no problems anymore.
    Never had any issues before with Stainless steel and all of a sudden developed this allergy. Very annoying.
    Wished some more manufacturers would offer either Titanium or a coated version. The other alternative is going back to plastic :(

9. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    You might have to go back to plastic, not chastity related in the slightest, but I had a family member who suddenly became allergic in there early 40s. Just one day suddenly started getting blistering from where there wrist watch was on there skin. Same watch they had been wearing for over a decade.

10. Sebastian1965

Sebastian1965 New member

Local Time:
    I have an allergy to stainless steel, but fortunately it’s only in piercing situations. Can’t even wear an earring, so a PA is out for me. Allergies can happen out of the blue. My father developed severe allergies to a great number of things, seemingly overnight at the age of 73.

11. squier

squier Junior Member

tech consultant
    Germany, the wild south
    Local Time:
    Maybe the coconut oil is the problem?
    Normally, pure coconut oil applied on skin is not a problem. But if it is mixed or contaminated with some stuff, that can also be the case.
    Did you use it then? If so, are you going to use new oil now? I mean, when allergies suddenly appear, the first thing to look at is what has changed. The cage didn't.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice