Problems with the padlock

Discussion in 'Chastity device discussions and reviews' started by Sylophine, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Sylophine

Sylophine She has my key and I have her collar

Canada
    Local Time:
    7:00 AM
    It has been about 18 months now since we started taking chastity seriously. Been in it every day since she agreed to the control. The cage we have works perfectly for both of us with one minor problem..... the sound of the padlock bouncing on the cage. We don’t want to change the device but have tried to find a substitute made of something quieter. Would love to hear any suggestions out there. Especially would like to move to a possible key/combination system. Thanks for your help if you have any.

2. knight4princess

knight4princess Active member

Househusband
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Local Time:
    10:00 AM
    I have found that taking a wide, small-diameter rubber band and wrapping it around the lock provides a cushion that prevents clanking as well as rough scrapes with tender skin.

3. Sylophine

Canada
    Local Time:
    I appreciate your solution but I was hoping for something that was in a final state rather than a crafty solution. Thank you.

4. maid julie

maid julie Long term member

service tech
    NJ
    Local Time:
    I have been very surprised at how long a piece of electrical tape wrapped around the lock has lasted

5. knight4princess

knight4princess Active member

Househusband
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Local Time:
    I totally get it. A nice rubberized tiny lock would be great. But when it is invented? Soon, I hope.

Meanwhile, my wife is still awaiting a small light-weight bluetooth lock that she can control remotely. It doesn't exist yet either -- but when it is, it should have rubberized sides so it won't clink or pinch! :)

6. Sylophine

Canada
    Local Time:
    I am starting to realize I am like the blind man looking for a black cat, in the dark.... that’s not there.

knight4princess likes this.
  7. bondinchas

bondinchas Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    3:00 PM
    A number of possible solutions...

- Wrap an elastic band around the lock. This will stop the noise.

- If the elastic band works then a more permanent solution then get some heat shrink tubing and put that around the padlock. Multiple layers can be used.

- replace the metal padlock with a plastic cable tie, numbered tag, or fit a security screw or bolt instead of the padlock. Hot glue will also do the trick of stopping it tapping, it's quite soft and easily peeled away when you need release, but use a cardboard shield when applying it unless you're also a masochist :confused:

- You could use some polymorph plastic to enclose the padlock shackle to stop it moving. I did this for a while. When polymorph hardens it is like moulded nylon, so don't apply it too thick, unless you want to have to use tools to remove it and an additional disincentive to being unlocked. Not good if your keyholder suddenly demands PIV (don't ask how I know :rolleyes:).

- What I have done is made a clip that slides down over the post and holds the shackle of the padlock firm. I made mine out of a one inch section of plastic 15mm plumbing tube. It's on it's third version now and works very well. It has the advantage of making the lock area look neat and tidy, and it's much less likely to cause an issue with sensitive female intimate skin when cuddling in bed. I'm about to make an identical version from a chrome pipe of the same size, it'll then be a little firmer when in place (being metal rather than plastic) and will look much better. (She does like the 'jewellery' look of my steel cage, the white plastic detracts from that)
    I'll take some photos of the clip on and off the device and give tips on making it in another post soon)

- Or
    Get a cage with an integrated lock - then there's no padlock to have an issue with!

I appreciate that you asked for a 'ready made' solution, but the reality is that unless the device manufacturer makes a solution for your device, the answer will have to be 'crafty'.

Sylophine likes this.
  8. Chazmick

Chazmick Active member

Pennsylvania USA
    Local Time:
  9. bondinchas

UK
    Local Time:
    #9 bondinchas, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Here's the clip that I made, I hope this is useful for some of you.
    Padlocks can not only be noisy, but another problem and the reason I made this clip, is that it also prevents skin being pinched between the padlock and the cage.
    My next (and hopefully final!) version will be made from the same size but from chromed pipe, then it'll look as good as it's functional.

How to make it:
    Take a short length of 15mm (half inch in US?) plumbing tube, making sure that it will fit over the shackle of the padlock, but not slip down past the body of the lock.
    First cut it to the length needed. it needs to fit from the top of the padlock body to just level with the base ring.

The V cut in the end is used when completed to make it easier to slide on past the post.
    Cut the V next.

You now need to determine where the hole for the post will go.
    Line the tube up in position against the top of the padlock body and mark the position of the po
    This hole is needed to allow the tube to clip around the post, this will then keep the tube in the correct place.
    Drill a hole at the marked position, on the same line as the cut V.

Now cut the tube along it's length through the V and the drilled hole.
    File any rough edges smooth and you're done.
    Using a tube cutter rather than a saw will give a much smoother finish to the ends - that was another consideration for making it, it prevents the padlock annoying your partner when cuddling.

To attach the clip, push it downwards using the V to slide it past the post.
    If you have drilled the hole in the right place, the clip should rest on the top of the padlock body when the hole engages around the post of the cage, holding it all in place.
    The plastic version pulls off quite easily, it can also be levered off by inserting a small screwdriver into the top of the tube.

I haven't tried it yet, but a metal version will probably have more spring tension in the metal, so might need the screwdriver to remove it.

Attached Files:

10. bondinchas

UK
    Local Time:
    Ok, 10 minutes in the shed and I've made a chrome version of my padlock clip to the same design as the plastic one.
    This one's not going to fall off as it's made of chromed copper tube which is quite stiff. It needed to be squeezed on with a pair of pliers, and it will definitely need a lever to prise it off again!

Attached Files:

11. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    9:00 AM
    You are correct...the demand for a small, Bluetooth, sound dampening coated padlock, hasn’t reached the zenith for mass production quite yet. Wrap a rubber band around it, cover it with something, or get an integrated lock device.

knight4princess and bondinchas like this.
  12. Unlucky

Unlucky Long term member

Local Time:
    Zip ties are like $2 for 100. Buy some, use one to secure the lock so it can't move, then trim the excess tie.

Rubber bands are cheap and you can probably get them for free depending on where you work. Cut one, use it to secure the lock so it can't move, then trim the excess rubber band. You might need to replace it every so often, but you'll almost certainly get a few weeks out of one.

No, neither of those solutions are as nice as a rubber lined padlock of a reasonable size would be, but they're cheap and extremely easy to make. Don't hold out for perfection when good enough is on the table.

13. maid julie

maid julie Long term member

service tech
    NJ
    Local Time:
    About 2 wraps of electrical tape around the body of the lock and cut the end do not tear it. It has lasted for weeks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice