Oval or Round ring?

Discussion in 'Chastity device reviews' started by Lucky X, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Lucky X

Lucky X New member

Local Time:
    11:31 AM
    So far the only device I've tried is a Holy Trainer v2 which has an oval ring. Looking to upgrade to a metal one and I was wondering if anyone has any insight on the differences? Does it come down to personal preference? Is one or the other more comfortable for different scrotums sizes? (my boys hang low)

Thanks all!

2. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    2:31 PM
    I just ordered an oval ring for my Jailbird at the recommendation of Mistress Mature Metal.

I should receive it today. So if you give me a few days to a week I’ll give you an honest review as I’ve always had round ones and am doing based on her recommendation.

CagedBySocks likes this.
  3. corsac

corsac Long term member

Spokane, WA
    Local Time:
    I prefer the oval ring but it really does seem to be personal preference.

tomf_22033 likes this.
  4. JosieLynn Jewell

JosieLynn Jewell Long term member

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    So, the different shapes can actually accomplish a magic trick! If the circumference of the ring doesn't change, and you go from circular to a wide oval, the space your balls have to escape between the cage and the ring drops. For instance, a 48mm circular ring has the same circumference as an oval ring 50mm wide by 46mm high, but narrows the gap at the biggest point by ~2mm.

Some people prefer a tall oval ring though, which is good when the base ring circumference is low, but you still need a gap to get the balls through and maintain enough space to keep circulation to them.

I started wearing wide oval rings several months ago - it's just a better fit for me to be in a 51mmx45mm than a 48mm even though they have the same circumference.

Rectrix likes this.
  5. slavesw

slavesw Long term member

United States, Massachusetts
    Local Time:
    Oval ring, steel cage, comfort and blissful frustration forever.

tomf_22033 likes this.
  6. stations

stations New member

Local Time:
    7:31 PM
    I've tried both. Oval everytime because the shape of how I am. Circular ones were two tight at the sides causing rubbing and unnecessarily loose at the top and bottom. It makes a huge difference in my case.

7. Giles_English

Giles_English Chaste slave

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    6:31 PM
    Circular - it lies more naturally and I can close my legs.

8. slavesw

slavesw Long term member

United States, Massachusetts
    Local Time:
    i use an oval ring with my Jailbird but did try a round one originally, the oval fits me much better but like others have stated it's all subjective. Order both, the additional rings aren't that much more.

9. MaleChastityNow

MaleChastityNow making Bling for his thing

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    This thread reinforces the reality that the many variables involved in sizing and fitting a cage properly can't be determined until a person's body has had a chance to provide sensory feedback.

It's the main reason why I advocate for people to use test rings to determine base-ring and cage-ring sizes, instead of attempting to measure these two parameter's.

Furthermore, obtaining good ring sizes is best done when the test rings are similar in thickness to the actual rings of the cage you intend to order.

Many of the rings on plastic devices differ too much in shape thickness from say, the rings on a Contender. This means you can't transfer those ring sizes from one device to another.

MadameJs_boo, corsac and Nicoftime like this.
  10. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    1:31 PM
    I had a jailbird with oval ring, when I ordered I assumed it would be oval vertically. It wasn’t, it was ever so slightly oval horizontally. This was a comfortable device but I did notice it tended to turn quite often. I also found their narrow gauge base ring tended to slide down more than wider base rings that I had on cheap Chinese devices. I always had a problem keeping the device staying close enough to my body so that it could prevent erections...just got hard in cage and it slide down.

Rectrix likes this.
  11. MaleChastityNow

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I make my oval rings the same way, and my "ever so slightly" is a 1/16 inch change from round.

My intuition regarding the cage sliding down is that it is partly due to the weight of the Jailbird's cage, as well as it's long, curved shape. The 1/4" thick cage rings and 1/8" bars make for a rather heavy cage.

To compensate, I would personally make the base ring from 5/16 inch thick rod, instead of 1/4 rod...doing so would help counterbalance the cage weight. Of course it would also add extra weight to the device overall, but some people prefer that.

I went in the opposite direction when designing the Contender...opting for thinner and lighter weight materials. On average, a Contender weighs 3-1/2 ounces, which includes the base ring. Lighter weight can increase comfort a lot.

J.D. and Rectrix like this.
  12. DrPinotNoir

DrPinotNoir Active member

Local Time:
    ressurecting a thread because I searched. I just finished 5 days in my new jailbird.. used lube.. (Used a lot really) and still got super sore in two side spots. I bought oval from all the people saying they use and prefer oval. I think I want to go back to circle. My last knockoff was a A271 (Which I gave a big review about) 5 days in my scrotum has sores at the 4 and 8 oclock position.. ZERO at the 6 oclock position. Problem is I went for a walk got about a half mile and said.. yea.. no more of this. Circle seemed to fit better. I wonder if I have some other fundamental problem. The base ring does pass the one digit finger test. Thing is. I am really active and having this cage on means I am not active because I dont want to take the damn thing off. Oh well maybe someone has some insight into this. Im thinking of sending it back and having a whole second ring created that is slightly larger. (not sure.) I hear about the gap mine is the middle 3/8s I also have the single ring currently (so that it can be resized) That pain though is silly. Had to take a day off so far. Im guessing it will be 3 before the pain is completely gone. I bought this thing because I wanted to be in permanent chastity. That is also the desire of my wife keyholder. I dont know if that is a reality. I see PLENTY of guys saying "Ive had it on for years" So either they are lying (they arent) or Ive got something else going on.. hmmm

MtnViper likes this.
  13. MaleChastityNow

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    If you have a bench vise then you can easily change your oval ring back to a round one. Then test the device again after you've healed, to determine whether the ring is going to work out for you.

More important than a finger test is comfort. Your body needs to be able to remain comfortable, and if you become sore again after testing I'd say you need a wider ring.

If you're using a water based lube then consider changing to a silicone based lube...the latter will last longer and not wash/rub/wear away quickly like a water based lube.

14. DonnaSue

DonnaSue Long term member

Retired
    Southeast US
    Local Time:
    1:31 PM
    I used my table vise to make my ring more of an eval shape. I did it gradually and have found a comfortable shape.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice