Experiences bending base rings

Discussion in 'Difficulties with wearing a device?' started by ClassyLocked, May 27, 2023.

1. ClassyLocked

ClassyLocked Member

Local Time:
    10:02 PM
    For those of you who have modified a base ring to be more oval in shape, what kind of vise did you use? I have a round 2" ring I'm using for sizing, 1/4" thick... I've had issues with round rings rubbing at 10/2 o'clock before and causing sores. I think 2" diameter reshaped to oval shape may be my sweet spot based on other devices, but would like to test out.

I'm thinking of grabbing something small like https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-...ls/2-34-in-articulated-vacuum-vise-59116.html, but I'm not sure I'd be able to generate enough force to bend. Any thoughts?

2. FLRAdvocate

FLRAdvocate Long term member

Goddess Worshipper/Pussyfree Lifestyle Evangelist
    Local Time:
    11:02 PM
    There are manufacturers who make oval (or almost oval) base rings. Why not just buy one rather than going to all that trouble?

3. ClassyLocked

ClassyLocked Member

Local Time:
    So to be clear I do plan to order a custom device with an oval ring (if all feels good), this is just a question of coming up with a cheap prototype to test size/comfort. The 2" round ring was only like 3$ from the hardware store

4. JaySaysYes

JaySaysYes I identify as someone that is always right

Local Time:
    4:02 AM
    That vice is a toy.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

5. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    I agree, that vice would never work you will need a much larger model, it would probably be cheaper to buy the oval ring than the vice.

6. Xileh

Xileh Happily Serving

Local Time:
    8:02 PM
    That is essentially a jeweler’s vice. Light duty only.

It’s not only the vice, but what you can mount it to. To bend a ring you need heavy duty. You probably will need to use a cheater pipe to get leverage which means having the vice bolted to a substantial bench.

7. subrick

subrick Junior Member

Engineering/Technical Education.
    USA, Western Massachusetts.
    Local Time:
    11:02 PM
    #7 subrick, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    Well, others have commented on the vice. Another thing to think about is the ring you plan on bending. If it's chrome plated, the plating might crack or flake off if you try to bend it. Probably not a big deal as you could put a piece of tape or split tubing around it, but something to be prepared for.

If it's stainless steel, not as much of a problem there but it might be more resistant to bending. Heating it with a propane torch might be one suggestion...but now you're starting to get into even more tools, if you don't have them already.

Also, bending it in a vice might not produce the shape of bend you want...or...if it's a brittle steel, it might crack when you squeeze it. I'm assuming you really have no idea what type of steel is in that ring. It's probably something cheap from overseas, so who knows? I've had a "cheap" 9/16" socket seem to "explode" under moderate torque because it was made from cheap steel. Looked nice & chromed...but no strength. I threw the entire set away as it was a safety hazard. Be sure to wear safety glasses!

Good Luck, but you might find it easier, cheaper & safer to look for a similar, cheap device which already has various size oval rings available.

~subrick

8. bondinchas

bondinchas Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    #8 bondinchas, Jun 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    The other problem is that you'll need to exert some considerable force, a ring is MUCH stronger than a straight bar of the same gauge. Not just the force, but if you're going to hold it with the grip needed, (which isn't easy as a ring doesn't have any flat surfaces, a lot of pressure will need to be applied to small points) you're very likely to dent and scratch the surface, something that will make it unwearable unless you then polish the scratches out... And that's another engineering skill you might not have.

I'm fairly good with DIY and repairs myself and have a small workshop full of tools, but this particular job isn't one I'd be confident of doing and ending up with a professional finish, which is what you need for metal worn next to skin. As the others have implied, if you're not a mechanical engineer already, just buy one the right shape and size.

If you want comfort, try an ergonomic ring. The ring shape and the wider profile both make it much more comfortable to wear.

9. Jaach Shiit

Jaach Shiit New member

Local Time:
    Buy a Wilton. Made in USA. A lifetime purchase that your grand kids will be using after you are gone.
    Buy once. Cry once.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice