D point in my life.

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by salonslave, Dec 31, 2015.

1. salonslave

salonslave I play for a living and work for fun.

SW Louisiana, USA
    Local Time:
    1:23 AM
    I was working in the organic veggie garden yesterday after helping my buddy butcher 3 wild Louisiana hogs - the finest meat on the planet (for my family, any way)
    As I often do while working the soil, I began to think about all the people I have known who have died. I am 63 and there have been a lot. I began thinki g about the percentage of people I have know. Who have passed. I figure that right now half of the people I have ever known have passed on.
    I named this thee D Point. D for deceased or dead. I have heard of a erage life expectancy and many other terms, but never a designation based on the individual who has lost friends and acquaintences.
    Since this The Bar of people I identify with I thought I would mention my thoughts.
    Any other thoughts?
    My neighbor just gave me a 1975 Schwinn 5 speed Suburban that has only ever hung upside down in her brother's preserved room.
    Kinda cool. I just ordered tires and tubes.
    In 2016 I plan to bicycle again.
    Ss

Captured Pirate likes this.
  2. SubVerity

SubVerity Still the mansion's fairy godmother. ;)

London
    Local Time:
    8:23 AM
    At one point in my life it seemed as if half of everyone I knew was dead or dying. This was the late 80s and early 90s and was mostly due to HIV, and an excess of fun generally. At some point I remember feeling quite lonely and made a conscious decision to befriend more straight people. Fortunately retro-viral drugs work incredibly well these days so such choices are no longer necessary, but increasing age will start to tip the balance in your D point's favour at some point I guess.

I still do dangerous sports where there is the reality of death and have lost acquaintances as a result, but no close friends as yet. Fingers crossed!

Good luck to all in 2016 and beyond.

3. Wendygirl

Wendygirl To offer advice and keep CM safe and welcoming

gardener
    London
    Local Time:
    8:23 AM
    It goes in waves , before we really got to grips with seat belts and breathalysers ,I used to dread picking up the phone.
    We were all in to fast cars and the number of bad and fatal car wrecks was horrible .
    Then few years later drug OD s or lives ruined through use or dealing.

Now it tends to be lung cancer or strokes. Which I why I am looking for that sub 60 min 10k , only 3 minutes off . :)

Xx Wendy

Jasmic68 likes this.
  4. salonslave

SW Louisiana, USA
    Local Time:
    Texting while driving is now taking a lot of people. Defensive driving is more important than ever.
    Ss

Captured Pirate likes this.
  5. Captured Pirate

Captured Pirate Long term member

Mechanic
    Local Time:
    12:23 AM
    Very nice post, and very awesome about the Schwinn! My dad gave me his, and I do need to get that repaired. Brakes don't work anymore, as well as tires.

One thing that struck me about your post though: Usually the first thing a doctor will tell someone who has had a heart attack is that they should stop eating pork. Additionally, my 95 year old grandfather was in pretty decent health for his age, but became deceased very quickly after having a large portion of ham for dinner. And most of the bodybuilders I know won't touch the stuff. I haven't eaten it for years. My last large meal of it was a pound of bacon. Coincidentally, the morning after I had eaten it I awoke with a boil the size of Texas on my back. Maybe all of that is anecdotal, but I have been in very good health since I cut that out of my diet. Just thought I would pass that along, for what it's worth. :)

6. salonslave

SW Louisiana, USA
    Local Time:
    Pirate, thanks for the post. The Schwinn is metallic blue w white pin stripes. Mint. I plan to savor the job of dismantling all the mechanism and cleaning and relubricating appropriately.
    Now about the hog: we've been eating these for years. My annual doctor appointment shows all my numbers to be well within healthy tolerances.
    Just as eating fresh carrots, broccoli, turnips, asparagus etc tastes soooo good, wild hog tastes so clean and healthy. We don't cure any meat as bacon and ham are cured with nitrites.
    This meat has a flavor that is simply not available with store bought meat. I also slaughter 2 smallish goats each year. Another great meat! We also eat a lot of local seafood like oysters, crabs,shrimp and Red Fish.
    The trick from my standpoint is to work it off to stay in shape. I hate formal exercise. I do all my own maintenance and I am always in the middle of several projects from gathering beautiful driftwood logs to welding plus I repair fine furniture for out.

Thanks for your concern.
    Ss

Captured Pirate and Jasmic68 like this.
  7. Jasmic68

Jasmic68 Long term member

Early retirement
    UK Midlands
    Local Time:
    1:08 PM
    @salonslave - I do not often suffer from envy, but man, your diet is testing my resolve!

8. salonslave

SW Louisiana, USA
    Local Time:
    This is not the norm for all the people in Louisiana, just the ones who look at life a certain way.
    Ss

Jasmic68 likes this.
  9. Captured Pirate

Captured Pirate Long term member

Mechanic
    Local Time:
    12:23 AM
    Certainly :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice