Cherry Keeper Pocket Safe

Discussion in '3D printing files' started by JosieLynn Jewell, Oct 6, 2018.

1. JosieLynn Jewell

JosieLynn Jewell Long term member

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    10:19 AM
    One of the side projects I've dabbled on for a little bit has been in response to a few people inquiring about emergency key holders - the kind where your cage key is held within and secured by a one-time use plastic lock. I can definitely see why there is an interest in that, and I'd looked at a few of the designs out there, and some of the homemade ones as well. I wanted to put my own design spin on the idea, and I hope you appreciate the final result, and find yourself wanting one!

[​IMG]
    The Pocket Safe is the same size as about eight credit cards stacked on top of each other, and fits nicely in a pocket, or a purse, or a wallet if you're so inclined. It will hold a key up to 60mm in length, and up to 30mm wide and 3mm thick. The rectangular cavity is large enough to store multiple keys if your situation warrants it! It's not just limited to keys, you could put the combination to the key safe on a note and store it in here.

The locking portion is designed to accept single use plastic locks of a particular shape, which does rule out some of the styles that exist, but there is a certain aesthetic that this design creates. Round topped locks, from CB-X and their clones fit nicely, and even longer ones will fit.

Gallery : https://imgur.com/a/jlicXUL

The Cherry Keeper Pocket Safe can be purchased in my store on Shapeways for $29.95 in all the colors they offer http://cherrykeeper.com

I do have some capacity to produce these in a few different colors and ship them within the US at a lower price (Paypal only - $20 with first class shipping - extra with other shipping options) but with a slight trade-off on quality. It would look like the photo above, and the photos in the gallery. Please contact me if you're interested in this, and we'll work out the details.

I have attached the STL file to print this yourself if you have a 3D printer - I used PETG for mine with .2mm layer height.

Attached Files:

2. lockit

lockit Advanced Member

London
    Local Time:
    3:19 PM
    We have the kitchen safe and it works well for set times up to 10 days.
    I think something like this with the plasic tag is more practical.

3. Unlucky

Unlucky Long term member

Local Time:
    7:19 AM
    On the one hand, this is significantly more expensive than something like a Keysure, but on the other, it is reusable, so if you have need of an emergency key frequently, it ends up being cheaper in the long run.

4. JosieLynn Jewell

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    Sadly, that's due to how it's made. I can print one of these on my printer for less than the price of the keysure - if I don't give value to my time, my printer being used and design costs. Likewise with Shapeways - they print in solid material (vs infill on an FDM printer), so it winds up more costly for the same design.

So, do people pay the $60 for the mature metal one? (I think it was theirs - it looks like a socket with a hole drilled in it)

5. Halloedri

Halloedri Active member

Private
    Germany, Rhine-Maine
    Local Time:
    4:19 PM
    What I did once:
    Printed a little hollow box kust big enough to put the key into.
    In the middle of the print pressed the pause button on the printer,
    put the key into the box and continued print.
    In the end you have a completely closed box with the key inside;-)

Depending on the material used it can be quite tough to get the key again...

Should add:
    Your printer has to be good at bridging to do this, especially if you have bigger keys like the ones for magic lockers.

TheGenericDL likes this.
  6. JosieLynn Jewell

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    Someone had suggested that this should be customized, and it's something I'm totally in favor of! I can put several short raised words in the main "bay", or one longer word sunk into the lower portion fairly easily, and if someone wants one customized in either fashion, I'll do customization like the below at no extra charge through the end of Locktober for any CM user who wants one!

Personalization.png Named.PNG

7. Stainless Companion

Stainless Companion New member

Local Time:
    Here in the US most prescription pill bottles have a reversible cap. One way screws on the outside of the bottle and has a locking tab to keep children out. Flip it over and it screws into the bottle and there is a recess the depth of the cap. With the cap on, drill a small hole through the bottle and the cap to insert the one time lock for quick, easy, cheap emergency access.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice