Art in CM: locked penis images & freedom

Discussion in 'Journals and blogs' started by Achedlock17, Jan 20, 2019.

Random Thread
  1. Achedlock17

Achedlock17 Long term member

Local Time:
    6:44 PM
    Thanks for your post. Effectively I am arguing for the locked penis images here to be seen as allegorical works of art re freedom; unfreedom etc. Their lack of high production standards isn’t that relevant to that allegorical perspective.

2. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    I get where you are comming from it is just that I have not seen one locked penis picture that I consider to be deserving of being labelled art. Yes they are photographs yes they are pictures but they show no signs of artistic expression they are just snapshots.

3. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    Thanks and understood.

4. Billus

Billus Laconic.

UK
    Local Time:
    I think the phrase here is artistic expression; what does that mean, and does it apply if not used? We come back around again to the age-old question: What is art?

Many people ascribe to the same point of view as @filltee in that a strictly utilitarian creation such as a 'snapshot' is not art. They are entitled to that opinion. I would suggest however, that one of the major thrusts of art throughout the Twentieth Century was to challenge that viewpoint. There are scores of artists who worked in various media that turned the concept on its head. There can be beauty in the concept of "Form Follows Function" that pervades every art movement in painting, literature, architecture, engineering, sculpture, even computer design and physics.

So is artistic expression a requirement for creating art? No. If art is found by the person who experiences it, then expression is, at times, meaningless. Art becomes what you decide is art. This can be countered (and often has been) by saying that it makes the concept of art meaningless; anything can be considered "art" by that standard. And I agree. But why is that a bad thing? Can art be bad? Of course; if the concept of what art is can be dictated by the person experiencing it, then "bad" art can be also. If you think a snapshot of a caged penis is not art, then that's your experience. But that's in no way a universal experience.

I bring this up not to argue with @filltee or to suggest he's "wrong" in his point of view. But I would gently suggest he open himself up to the idea that even something as basic as a photo of a caged penis (or many of them) might be something more.

5. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    To develop the point made by @Billus : One way to evaluate the locked penis images is by reference to the concept of excess.

A vanilla viewer of such images would see them as depicting excess-be it an excess of kinkiness or an excess of force or an excess of perversion. Better still, and paradoxically, as an excess of (sub) culture over nature (an excess of Apollo over Dionysus, Nietzsche might say).

How about a sub male or a dominant female? Do they see the depicted scene as excessive? I think not (of course from their point of view, the vanilla viewer is excessively ...vanilla). So whatever the production quality of the snapshots, what is evoked by the images is the fact of the different points of view of different viewers and the inescapable fact of excess. That evocation supports a claim that the images are works of art in my view.

Billus likes this.
  6. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    If you apply that to the extreme then anything thatis created or captured could in the eyes of someone be considered art. I will concede that point. Because that point allows the minimum of one person to consider something as 'Art'.

But before we go to far down that route look at some of the things the establishement has considerd to be art. A couple of layers bricks arranged into a rectangular prism.. known as Carl Andre's Bricks .. it served a purpose that piece of work is far better known than most if not the so called artist's name. Tracey's Bed... pointless. A copy of someone's bedroom complete with a used ashtray. An empty room with a single light source suspended from the ceiling. again all pointless, but considered by the Tate Modern which is funded in aprt by the tax payer to be worth displaying.

We have all seen images that quite possibly took time effort and great skill to create which are in the eyes of most awful does that make said image more or less art?

According to one source.
    "What makes it art is the intention of the creator and the value to be gleaned from it."

I tend to agree with the thinking behind that when I form my opinion of something that is offered as art and I maintain that there is little to be gleaned even for the uninitiated from a picture of a locked penis and even less to be gleaned other than perhaps a modicum of insight to or an impression of the creators obsession of multiple pictures of the same penis in the same cage regardless of background or situation. (not that most of thosephoto's were ever intended to be considered art)

7. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    Thanks.
    Interesting that the definition you use is the opposite of Kant’s definition: for him, to be art an object needs to elicit no interest or desire in the viewer (ie have no everyday value, except to generate the “free play” of Imagination and Understanding). Yet what is depicted in the locked penis images is the frustration of the free play of fhe Imagination and Understanding at the same time as ..the pure free play of merely the Imagination and Understanding of the lockee. That seems valuable to me: that the same image can directly evoke implied opposites within the representational frame. It is an image of indeterminacy, yet an unambiguous one at the same time.

8. Rectrix

Rectrix Long term member

US East Coast
    Local Time:
    1:44 PM
    Love the 10CC reference. BTW, do you know the source / meaning of the band's name?

sylvana chastity likes this.
  9. sylvana chastity

sylvana chastity just Syl

Deutschland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    To be honest: I never thought about that (as well as about "Limp Bizkit", "Chumbawamba" or (just googled that) "Butthole Surfers" :p).
    But the Internet tells us: 10cc got their name from Jonathan King who released their first records. King had had a dream about a successful band called "10cc". However, popular belief is that they adopted the name because the average male ejaculation is 9cc and the band was above average with 1cc more than that!".
    Kind of "chastity-related I'd say?!:p:D

Rectrix likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice