Do you prefer a round or oval ring and why?

Discussion in 'Novices and newbies' started by Stephplayswithyou, May 3, 2022.

1. Stephplayswithyou

Stephplayswithyou Long term member

Local Time:
    3:57 PM
    At the moment, I'm locked in a knockoff HT V4 small and find it pretty comfortable. A few things that have me thinking about getting another cage though as I'd prefer something a bit more open for cleanliness. While I like the slotted design at the end, it still doesn't always line up when going to the bathroom. Which leads to the need to remove every few days for cleaning but I'd prefer to be able to go longer.

The HT has an oval ring which I think is pretty comfy but have no real comparison to a round ring. Is it still comfortable? If round, do you find you need a slightly larger ring or do you wear the same size in both round and oval?

Any advice/thoughts to pros and cons are greatly appreciated. I'm also thinking about a metal one this time, still knockoff until I hone in on what fits best overall to then go custim.

MadameJs_boo likes this.
  2. maid julie

maid julie Long term member

service tech
    NJ
    Local Time:
    5:57 PM
    I find the oval to be more comfortable in the same size ring and my ring also has a curve to fit your body curve and I think that helps a lot

Stephplayswithyou likes this.
  3. CuriousAndy

CuriousAndy Long term member

Australia
    Local Time:
    7:57 AM
    I have the same dilemma!

I'm usually in a HT nano, sometimes a HT nub and the rings are really comfy. But I need to be let out every two or three days to clean.

I have other steel open cages that are much easier to keep clean, you really don't need to remove them at all, but the round (and narrower) ring is not as comfy. I also find that the bars of the cage dig in when I have an attempted erection, instead of the distributed pressure of a full tube.

The difference in the rings are the oval rings of HT are bigger than stated, the 45mm for example is 45mm in height but it's wider (I think 50mm ish). So there is more area/room to fit everything through. The steel round ring is 45mm constant diameter, so technically it's smaller and tighter.

To add to the complications of a comparison the HT tube sits back into the ring, reducing the available space and complicating measuring the gap from ring to cage. The HT also weighs less. I find the HT ring sits high and tight, bit the technically smaller metal ring hangs lower further away from my body. I have to go to a 40mm metal ring to get the same support.

Buying knock offs to experiment is totally the way to go. I'm up to five knock offs and still haven't found anything comfier that the HT nano, just wish I could clean it while wearing it.

Stephplayswithyou likes this.
  4. Lazlo Toth

Lazlo Toth C/D on the TomAllen-Rectrix scale: 9/9

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    2:57 PM
    Whew.....Not just oval vs round it's tall oval vs wide oval. And it's ergo curved oval vs non ergo curved oval.

I prefer a "tall oval, with ergo curve".

You'll find them available for Cherry Keepers.

As to why? Comfort. Comfort. Comfort. And this shape configuration doesn't "sag" away from the body. Perhaps best for those new "innies".

Rectrix and Stephplayswithyou like this.
  5. CuriousAndy

Australia
    Local Time:
    Those cherry keepers look really configurable, lots of options over the dimensions. I like that you can buy the rings separately if you make a mistake on the measurements. I've been pondering a cherry keeper as my next experiment.

Lazlo Toth I was wondering can you use the cage with a PA piercing. I haven't got a piercing yet but that could be a really good comfort, cleaning, security combo.

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Long term member

Australia
    Local Time:
    I’ve tried both. Round/flat works best for me, don’t know why.

7. Stephplayswithyou

Local Time:
    Thanks for all the responses so far. Totally makes sense about wide vs tall oval. I too feel like I could benefit from a tall oval ring. I'll have to check out cherry keepers options for sure, thanks Lazlo Toth for that!

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  8. CabanaJack

CabanaJack Long term member

Retired
    USA, Denver CO
    Local Time:
    Note that there's a category for Cherry Keeper in the chastity devices section of the forum. You might find useful information there. That information resource was a primary reason that I gave Cherry Keeper a shot. I'm glad I went down the Cherry Keeper path, although it did take three cages and about six rings of different sizes, shapes and offset angles to finally find what I could wear comfortably 24/7.

I ended up preferring a wide oval ring with my Cherry Keeper, but I think it all boils down to the particulars about each individual. For example, experimentation with various other cages led me to conclude I have a high and tight scrotum that would tend to be pulled up into the narrow gaps on the sides of the cage. A wide oval ring seems to minimize the issue with this.

I'm a show-er more than a grower, so I needed a cage that is larger diameter and longer than many others would use. I specifically wanted/needed a cage with more volume in the head. All this larger cage size can lead to the lower edge of the base ring being significantly pressed/leveraged against my body if the pants I'm wearing don't have a lot of room in the crotch. Even how I'm sitting can change how the base ring is being pressed against my body. Here again the wide oval ring seems to help minimize this pressure.

On the other hand, I can see how a tall oval might help minimize discomfort with nocturnal erection attempts. Thankfully I haven't found that to be much of a problem.

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  9. Becalmed

Becalmed Member

Local Time:
    Same for me. The oval just seems to fit better over long term wear.

10. bondinchas

bondinchas Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    10:57 PM
    There's a way to work out if an oval might fit better for you than a circular ring.

Any anatomical cross section of the penis will show you that it's not circular, but an odd shape, more like a circle that's been pushed into a more triangular form. We're all different shapes, some of us will be further from a true circle than others.

One way of measuring yourself to get a better idea of what shape you are is to do it as follows:
    You'll need: two pencils or similar, two small elastic bands and a measure.
    - Get erect.
    - Loop one elastic band around one end of the two pencils, place the pencils around the base of your penis and wrap the other elastic band around the other end of the two pencils, to trap the base of the penis between the pencils. You don't want the elastic bands very tight, just enough to be firm so that the pencils don't fall off.
    - Now, holding the pencils parallel, measure the distance between them.
    - Do the same from front to back, and side to side.

If the measurements are similar, then you're probably best with a circular ring.
    If there's a big difference between the two measurements, then an oval ring might be a more comfortable and secure option, noting whether you need the longer axis vertical or horizontal.

11. SlaveBoy73

SlaveBoy73 Long term member

Local Time:
    I have an HT which I think is 45mm contoured base ring.

I want a new device that is round base ring but what size will correspond? I'm thinking it might be 50mm or 47 mm

12. CuriousAndy

Australia
    Local Time:
    I find the while the HT 45mm is a pretty good fit a 45mm round ring is too big (think that’s because the tube for the HT pushes through the ring rather than being attached outside it).

If you buy a cheap steel cage to experiment with they normally come with a few different ring sizes, typically 40, 45, 50.

13. Stephplayswithyou

Local Time:
    Thanks Cabana Jack, that makes sense. I'm the opposite in that I'm a grower, not a shower. I have noticed sitting/driving does affect things differently vs just standing or moving around normally. All in all, I'm enjoying this journey and am enjoying us exploring the chastity lifestyle. It'll definitely be a bit of a process but one that will be worth it...it just feels right to me.

14. Stephplayswithyou

Local Time:

Interesting and nothing I've ever seen out there for guidance on how to fit a ring. I'll definitely have to try this, thanks for the advice!

15. Stephplayswithyou

Local Time:
    So, I'm experimenting with going from the 50mm down to the 45 and completely understand what you're saying about how in a HT, the cage goes under, thus making it a bit tighter fit. The 45mm takes a bit for me to get everything through and feels good once I adjust it. Then comes the putting the cage on and sliding it under, things get pretty tight for me. I'll monitor, wear it for a bit and see if over the next few days keep adding time to wearing the 45mm cage while locked to see how my body adapts. I definitely feel a bit more "burn" sensation, mild, on my scrotum but that may be some other irriatation (no red marks) while using the 50. I took a day off to let it rest but we'll see. I'm taking others advice that it's a marathon not a sprint so don't over do things.

16. SlaveBoy73

SlaveBoy73 Long term member

Local Time:
    Really wow. I thought it would be the reverse with the round ring being tighter than the oval ring. I suppose it depends on how you measure the oval. Are you measuring at the narrowest point?

17. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    They (Cherry Keeper) DO have a model that is designed to accommodate a PA piercing.

And yes, the configurability of cages and rings is fantastic. 95% of the way to being full custom, without the custom price.

18. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    With my Cherry Keeper ensemble, I can easily feel the difference with ONE milometer in size differential. I can only imagine the giant jump going from 45 to 50 with the HT.

area of a circle = pi r squared. Sooooo. a 45 mm diameter = 1589 square mm in area.

a 50 mm ring = 1962 square mm area. That's a 23% increase in size!

bondinchas likes this.
  19. bondinchas

bondinchas Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    Chastity rings being sold in 40, 45 & 50mm diameters is like shoes only being sold in sizes 6, 9 and 12!

Leath3rRapt0r and Lazlo Toth like this.
  20. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    That's a perfect way to say it.

bondinchas likes this.
  21. CuriousAndy

Australia
    Local Time:
    LOL I know! I was switching between size 9 and size 6 and realising I'm probably a 7 and a half ;)

Cherry Keeper seems like the next logical step. My Goddess likes the idea of me being able to clean while staying locked, it's more convenient ;)

Lazlo Toth and bondinchas like this.
  22. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    @CuriousAndy : By "clean while staying locked" do you mean cleaning your body while inside your device? Or cleaning the house as in a maid?

I ask because, I personally do not consider Cherry Keepers a 24/7/365 device. Maybe they are, I can't compare to others except the CB series. WAAAAYYYYYY cleaner than the CB series. But I still remove mine for regular cleanings.

Cherry Keeper has a new plastic that I have not tried yet that is less porous and ought to facilitate permanent or near permanent wear. The original plastic has a texture that I love--it helps hold everything in place--but it does require regular cleaning in my opinion.

Keep in mind, I am maniacal about cleanliness, so please consider your own personal needs.

Overall, though, I can think of no better approach than Cherry Keepers!

23. Stephplayswithyou

Local Time:
    ha ha, that's a great way to put it! It's just too big of a jump to go down to the 45mm right now, could probably eventually get there, but I think a 47mm would be a more logical step and easier to adjust down.

@CuriousAndy , I would assume the same just from daily cleanliness as I'm thinking the same thing. Yes, still needs to come off for regular cleanings, but because it's a more open style, would be able to go longer than 2-3 days perhaps. I would think would be able to clean around the openings better but I'm also considering something metal for even better hygiene aspect. Not ready to commit to a MM cage though I recognize custom is the best way to go. CK seems to be a good hybrid to help control costs a bit but give some added flexibility for sure.

24. Vornek

Vornek Member

Local Time:
    I have only tried two devices so I don’t have much to compare between round and oval.

The first being a CB6000/6000s which is round. I just got a mature metal jail bird which I had made with an oval base ring and is extremely comfortable.

Mature metal said said most people go with oval and to me it feels more natural. I suppose it would depend on your body type.

25. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    I agree! You cannot believe the difference a millimetre can make!

bondinchas and Lazlo Toth like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice