Stainless steel cage and MRIs?

Discussion in 'Chastity and orgasm denial' started by PussyBytch, Apr 23, 2021.

Random Thread
  1. PussyBytch

PussyBytch Active member

Engineer/Project Manager/Maid
    Catskills
    Local Time:
    5:16 AM
    I won't go into medical details of the why, it's nothing major but I will be going for an MRI today. I know that I theory stainless steel specifically 316 and 304 should be MRI safe but I am wondering if anyone here has any first hand experience. My Mistress would really prefer not to remove it, it's been on for 224 days straight at this point. She also wants to be safe and not cause any issues.

2. Jon_Grey

Jon_Grey Member

India
    Local Time:
    2:46 PM
    If it's your kink of getting it on film, get a CT or x Ray. It's not advisable to wear it to get an MRI. I'm sure you can survive without a cage for 60 minutes. The "safe for mri" clause is for live saving equipment, not fetish gear. Only certain variants of stainless steel are MRI safe. You cannot take the risk of going in with it. It can fatally harm you or other personal or it might damage the machine and the repair costs find in 10s of thousands to millions

3. PussyBytch

PussyBytch Active member

Catskills
    Local Time:
    No, it's not an MRI kink. I would think an iPhone or camera would be a much easier way to get a picture of it though. That would be one expensive fetish.
    What are you basing your opinion on? She doesn't plan on having me wear it, though it will need to be off for far more than 60 minutes. We can't be 100% certain that it is true, medical grade 316 stainless. We're just curious if anyone has any actual experience. Everything I've read; scientific papers, medical documents... they all say that 316 and 304 are MRI safe and the are referring to body jewelry, not "life saving devices" for the most part.
    So, while I do appreciate your thoughts, I am still wondering if anyone has experience with any non-ferrous metals in MRIs.

Peter Rabbit and tomf_22033 like this.
  4. Isopropylforyou

Isopropylforyou Long term member

Seeker of Truth and Knowledge.
    Texas
    Local Time:
    4:16 AM
    Any metal will be pulled toward the MRI.

An MRI is a giant magnet.

No metal whatsoever should go near it.

Take off your cage and remove any piercings.

Iso.

5. Miffy

Miffy Long term member

Local Time:
    10:16 AM
    MRI will be rearranging your atoms so definitely take the cage off

PussyBytch likes this.
  6. MistressS

Verified Female

KeyHolder
    United States
    Local Time:
    My answer Not a good idea

7. PussyBytch

PussyBytch Active member

Catskills
    Local Time:
    LOL!!

Miffy likes this.
  8. PussyBytch

PussyBytch Active member

Catskills
    Local Time:
    No, that’s not true but thanks for commenting.

Peter Rabbit and Guest 3972 like this.
  9. PussyBytch

PussyBytch Active member

Catskills
    Local Time:
    Again, it seems most people aren’t seeing what I was asking. I didn’t ask anyone what my Mistress should do, and I wouldn’t dare tell her what to do. As I’ve said she is not making me wear it. She just changed me to a non-metal device for the day.
    I was asking if anyone had any actual experience with chastity cages or body jewelry being in or near an MRI.

10. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    Take it with a grain of salt.

We have quite a few folks here who get all bent of there is any chance of “forcing our kinks on others”. They often don’t get that for some of us this isn’t about kink but a lifestyle.

That said, little is studied about long term affects of chastity and how materials affect MRI and other medical equipment and tests. Personally I’d like to see more study. But it won’t be possible until attitudes change. Sadly it’ll be slow. Happily things are changing and chastity is much more popular and better known than even 10 years ago.

I wish I could answer your question but I can’t. So I’ll just say, if she can take you, then it would make sense to take off your cage right before the procedure. Then when done, she can be there with you to lock back up. If you’re or she are feeling brave she could let the nurse know. But again many would advise against this, and I’d say it would depend on the nurse. I know my ex would make sure they knew about my panties and cage. But she enjoyed embarrassing me and making others aware of our dynamic. (And yes she was smart and had a way of sensing when it was ok and when it wasn’t)

corsac likes this.
  11. Jessica Alexander

Jessica Alexander Trans woman not a mistress or Dom

Houston
    Local Time:
    Even a metal lock on a plastic device COULD be an issue. I have no problem questioning ANYONE when it comes to health and safety.

12. Peaches

Peaches "kinky guy"

Business owner
    South Carolina
    Local Time:
    I had an mri last year on my knee. I took my device and jewelry off.

Guest 3972 likes this.
  13. Jon_Grey

Jon_Grey Member

India
    Local Time:
    2:46 PM
    Coz I'm a doctor. And there's 0% chance for any ethical radiologist to let a patient enter the MRI room with any body jewelry on. So, I don't think you'll get a "been there, done that" kind of answer from anyone here. Anything that's a metal comes off before the person enters the room. The matter of ferrous vs non ferrous comes only if we are talking about life saving equipment. We don't sit and explore the nature of the metals we are dealing with. If he can live without it, it comes off.

14. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    this is perfectly true, no metal at all in MRI scanners.

15. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit I'm her bunny

USA
    Local Time:
    I’ve had multiple MRIs.
    They found I had low grade metal still stuck in my body from an old wound. It frustrated the tech and they recalibrated. It was the smallest bit of metal.

I have used a 13,500 Gauss (1.35 Tesla) permanent magnet I bought off Amazon to test my 316L jewelry grade stainless steel MaleChastityNow (MCN) cage and the stainless steel screw. My MCN cage is non magnetic. Stainless can become magnetic with exposure to heat. But it seems Mark’s TIG welding doesn’t affect the non-magnetic property of the materials he uses.

The stainless steel screw however was very lightly attracted to that 1.35T magnet. I can only assume the manufacturing process of make the thread caused enough heat for it to become lightly magnetic.

That said I have never had my GlansArmor or Contender picked up in a Metal Detector.

MRI are rated to 1.5T and now the stronger ones are 3.0T. These exceed the magnetic field strength of my 1.35T permanent magnet.

I would not wear my cage into an MRI.

My wife said she’d swap me into an all plastic cage with plastic lock when she was talking about keeping me in permanent chastity last summer. She honestly doesn’t care what doctor or nurse or tech sees me locked in my cage, just as long it doesn’t interfere with my medical care. I’ve had my cage exposed during a medical exam in 2019.

Anyway, given my experience (anecdotal evidence) with the keen sensitivity of the MRI machine to the smallest bit of metal in my body, and my experiment that my security screw is very slightly magnetic....

I would be interested to see if the whole 316L cage moved at all inside the MRI, or the the screw would be heated from the 1.5 to 3 Tesla field strength over the long exposure time.

But I would not wear the cage into the MRI itself.

Even if the cage doesn’t heat up (or fly across the room :p) and causes you no harm, the presence of that metal would interfere with the imaging. Especially if the MRI is for the lower body.

I’ve seen photos of interference... I’d have to go look them up to give a reference.

Again, I believe your research that 316L stainless might not be actually unsafe, but I would remove it for the MRI.

If I could get my hands on a 1.5T or 3.0T electromagnet then I’d be able to see what happens.

If only we could get a Male Chastity related Mythbusters type experiment going. ;)

MeatLocker and Tom Allen like this.
  16. HusbandX

HusbandX Long term member

Local Time:
    As Dr. Grey pointed out above, the reason you won't get answers from people with experience wearing body jewelry or other metals into an MRI scan is because it's not allowed in there. Without it being allowed, nobody can relate the experiences (that they didn't have), because they couldn't have worn it in.

Stainless steel is ferrous. There are multiple types of stainless steel, but by definition, steel is made from iron. Ferrous means iron. Steel is iron. Stainless is a steel alloy and comes in several types of alloy; some are more responsive to magnet, but they're still iron.

What the steel will do, regardless of whether pulled by a magnet, is distort the image, all other risks aside.

If you're wearing a plastic cage with a metal lock, you're still taking metal into the MRI, and should not.

Tom Allen, BarbCD and Guest 3972 like this.
  17. Finnchastity

Finnchastity Long term member

healthcare worker
    Finland
    Local Time:
    12:16 PM
    As a mri tech, I know what I'm saying. Take it Off! Even when it was non-magnetic, it can heat up, it Will definitely ruin the images by destroying the calibrated magetic field locally causing big black hole into the images. It pisses Off mri techs, when they have to Take You out of the tube to remove the cage and start the examination again from zero.

18. PussyBytch

PussyBytch Active member

Catskills
    Local Time:
    Well, thank you @Peter Rabbit and @tomf_22033 for actually reading the question and providing interesting responses.

Now here's what actually happened. Yes, as said previously I WAS SWITCHED TO A NON-METALLIC DEVICE. That is why I was never asking any of you if I should wear the stainless one or not. Never intended to.

So, the lovely tech gave me a locker to put all of my things in and then told me to put the brass key and key fob in my pocket. Once again for effect - brass is a kind of metal, a non-ferrous metal, it was in my pocket. She told me I did not need to remove my rings. I have three that I wear; one titanium, two platinum. I asked about body jewelry and piercings. She said as long as they were non-ferrous they shouldn't be a problem but they can wand me and then do a test. I told her that I had already removed them because although all 316 stainless it was a substantial amount. Metal jewelry in the area being scanned needs to be removed so it doesn't interfere with the imaging regardless of the the of metal, the rest depends on the tech, the hospital policy, the type of metal, the specific type of MRI machine...

Other random notes; there was a bunch of metal around the room. Some aluminum, some stainless, some plain steel. None of it came flying across the room.

19. LukeVallentine

LukeVallentine Long term member

EU
    Local Time:
    12:16 PM
  20. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit I'm her bunny

USA
    Local Time:
    That’s very interesting. It’s great you were able to have a conversation with the tech about body jewelry, and hear these details - especially about checking with a wand.

You sound polite, interested, curious and respectful... all positive traits :)

What was it like, emotionally, being caged in plastic for the MRI? And then I assume swapped back into steel?

Since @Finnchastity has experience as an MRI tech, I’d like to hear if he has any more details about testing hard to remove jewelry for safety.

I might get an MRI again someday. I could wear my 2ga or 0ga PA jewelry and ask if they could test it for safety.

Maybe my tech got annoyed because I didn’t remember my injury and why he was picking up metal in my body when I reported none. Next time I’d tell them and they could wand it and calibrate. I was wasting precious time and disrupting their schedule in ignorance.

I can imagine me politely asking to have my heavy gauge 316L stainless steel body jewelry tested for safety before I decided to remove it... since they have the ability to wand you. I did wear a captured bead ring in 2ga that challenged my hand strength to remove with the ring plier tools. I had a piercer install it. I was always nervous I would scratching up the surface. I ruined one nice expensive piece of jewelry once. It’s disappointing. If I were in that situation I would bring the ring pliers and keep them in the locker and ask the tech to test before I go back and struggle to remove it.

PA jewelry is far less massive than a cage, of course, but one can imagine the imaging center dealing with hard to remove body jewelry. I’m sure it depends.

I wonder if the piercing forums have discussions on MRI and body jewelry.

21. Isopropylforyou

Isopropylforyou Long term member

Seeker of Truth and Knowledge.
    Texas
    Local Time:
    4:16 AM
    Hope the scan reveals no problems and everything turns out well.

Iso.

cody halter likes this.
  22. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Mass produced screws are made from thick wire stock which is drawn through dies, cut off with punches, have the head shaped by being hammered in a die, and finally passed through machines that squeeze the thread into the metal. It's not much different from squeezing Play-Doh into shapes.

The metal forming process allows the some of the iron molecules to re-arrange their orientation, and will become slightly magnetic. This is similar to the old Boy Scout trick of tapping a fininish nail with a hammer when aligned with magnetic north (you would float the needle on a cork in a bowl of water as a makeshift compass).

And not that the original post did this (Yes, I read it), but not only would a slightly magnetic device go flying into the machine, it might take some of your wabbly bits with it.

Peter Rabbit likes this.
  23. MissyB

MissyB Long term member

maid, (I wish)
    Tennessee hills
    Local Time:
    I'd have just taken it off, right before and then locked up after. no need to make a big deal of it.

sissy veronique likes this.
  24. Doczilla421

Doczilla421 Long term member

Firefighter
    North Carolina
    Local Time:
    I wonder what they do with people who have knee replacements and hips. Those all have stainless steel in them. Then of course those who have screws and plates in their bodies to hold bones and such together.
    In my opinion, which holds little value, 316 stainless is none magnetic. I have some very strong magnets that I have tested on my cage and it had no effect on my cage.
    I still wouldn't wear my cage into a MRI machine. I would wear a plastic cage with a plastic lock. No worries then.
    It was a great thought about the effects of it though. I would be curious if anyone has ever tried it

25. Ormaz

Ormaz Long term member

New York
    Local Time:
    Dude, have you seen the movie The Fly ? Well, it's a little bit…
    Nah, it ain't like that at all. Just remove the friggin thing, awright?

Guest 3972 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice