Collaboration on new keyholding website?

Discussion in 'Online chastity and self locking' started by trenck, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Alana

Alana Long term member

California
    Local Time:
    3:24 PM
    If this project is going forward, I have a few suggested features;

How about AI keyholders,similar to chastikey
    How about a somewhat intelligent (non random) matchmaking between keyholder and lockee based upon experience level of both
    How about a way to integrate data from a fitbit or other similar device, so release can be conditional on meeting fitness goals over time

errant5 likes this.
  2. chaste_for_her

chaste_for_her Active member

Local Time:
    6:24 PM
    A new social platform might be a waste of time and I'm not sure I want to get involved in creating, maintaining, and administering one. It would also increase operating costs. Perhaps an association with a site like this one would be best.

I'll see about setting something up online to start creating a backlog and documenting a feature set.

The platform would also need to have a recurring cost to cover operations, maintenance, and development. Could be something like $4.99 a month, or some sliding scale depending on features you want.

3. trenck

trenck Active member

Local Time:
    12:24 AM
    That's quite a primitive subset of what we want the new site to offer. Just waiting for a configured duration to pass is pretty dumb, and these Chinese hardware timelocks that cost around 15$ can do that as well. In case of emergency, you can open them with a bolt cutter. If the photo is kept by a website or software, you need a keyholder to release you.

Thechaste.com already has the option to make the verification photos public. That's not a big deal. The combination photos, however, must not be made public, as that would make cheating too easy.

I looked into it and found the site operators to be criminals. They attempted to get my private phone number. I don't know why they collect private data and who the sell it to, but that is definitely not what we want.

Apart from that, Discord offers nothing that other sites or software packages hadn't already provided decades before.

I'd like to split the site into a backend (database and API) and one or more frontends (website, Android app, Iphone app...). The API documentation will need to target developers and provide exact technical details. The beginner-level documentation belongs in the frontends. Of course, some general introduction on what online keyholding is all about (what a keysafe is, why and how to take and upload a photo, what a keyholder is, etc.) may be privided at the project main site, but that can't include things like menus or forms, because they are specific to each frontend.

In general, writing end-user documentation is much, much, much easier and faster done than providing the server hardware and writing the software. And the documentation can be done as a final step, as nothing else depends on it. The only problem is that it is often delayed forever for that reason.

I wouldn't care about translations at this early stage. First of all, we need to get the site working.

Most people in the world can read English anyway. They learn it at school, they hear English rock singers, and they watch US sitcoms.

The software and configuration (including install scripts) will be managed in a version control system such as Git. User and session data need to be backed up on a daily basis. Regular backups are often part of the contract with the webspace provider, but this usually doesn't include the preservation of old data. So if we lost a combination picture 2 weeks ago, we probably won't get it back.

If the hardware is operated by one of us, such as amvetsb, chances are that he will agree to care for the backups too, as backups are usually done by the hardware operators. The only problem is that backup media cost money and occupy space. And they should be stored in another building or fire compartment.

Various filter and search criteria can easily be implemented. But I am sceptical about filtering users by country. If you live in a huge country such as Russia or even the US, chances are that the users you find will live too far away anyway. If you live in a small country as I do, chances are that nobody will ever contact you even if they speak the same language or live close to you. If you want to find people who live close to you, you better calculate the geographical distance of the home towns. With today's technology, you can even sort users by the travel time (e.g. by car) to their home towns.

I am also sceptical about filtering users by timezone, because some people get up at 5 a.m. evey day while others go to sleep at that time and get up at noon. And some people aren't available for chat at daytime because they are busy with work.

But it's ok to privide these filters. Users should be mature enough to choose their filters on their own.

MeatLocker likes this.
  4. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    I can tell you that i am not going to collaborate on any paid or subscription based stuff, i do for free because it will be free for the comunity even i am a very capable IT man who knows a lot in technology and very good about it

So please dont, if you want to make profit fine but be aware that you are mostly alone on that, at least it is what i hope, that others refuse to work free to create a paid service

5. chaste_for_her

Local Time:
    Profit? Not really. I doubt this kind of niche service could turn any real profit anyway. Hosting costs money though and I don't want something that will be loaded with ads just to keep the lights on. So yes, a low-cost subscription service. Anything else will just die when whoever is footing the bill decides they don't want to anymore.

6. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    A cheap VPS of less than 5€/month could do the job and in this post there has been offerings related to hardware/hosting, even i can take care of that if no one could because hiring a vps it is too much cost, i could store the site on one of my servers

You dont need a fee for such tiny costs per month, i dont know how much you think a site like this require but it is not much if done properly

7. trenck

trenck Active member

Local Time:
    That is not true. I don't know about Chastity Mansion, but a similar forum (kgforum.org) generates a lot of money through donations (some users donate thousands of € at a time), and the monthly donations that are displayed on Emlalock oscillate arout 800 € – without any nagging.

If you have a static IP, you can set up a server for free on your own computer. Of course, regular backups and increasing load will eventually cause expenses, but at that time the donations will also increase.

What we need now is man hours and skills rather than a bag of money.

Experience has shown that money is rarely the factor that makes a project a success.

Juan. likes this.
  8. chaste_for_her

Local Time:
    >A cheap VPS of less than 5€/month could do the job and in this post there has been offerings related to hardware/hosting,

It needs to pay for itself or it dies when someone gets tired of paying for it or hosting it on their account and moves on. Why do you think all these other projects died out? Devs got bored and/or got tired of paying out of pocket for them.

If the service has value, then people will be fine with paying a low fee, and that money will allow the project to actually survive and evolve new functionality. We could also go the way of ads to generate revenue, but to be honest I hate having to spam users with ads to pay the bills.

9. L-u-c-y

Staff Member Owner of Chastity Mansion Administrator Verified Female

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    11:24 PM
    This site doesn't receive any donations.

Byrdie likes this.
  10. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    As Trenck has said above (and many other developers will say the same) the infrastructure it is not an issue, the real deal is human resource, it is getting the know how people to do the job and do it for free

11. chaste_for_her

Local Time:
    I'm fine with a donation model to pay the bills as well. Sites die when the only thing keeping them afloat is money from the developer's pockets.

Dev / build / test environments will cost money to host but those can be minor fees absorbed by devs to get things off the ground.

I'm not fine with hosting it on some personal computer under someone's desk somewhere kind of thing, that's a death sentence for the project.

Bags of money are always nice, I use them as pillows :)

12. trenck

trenck Active member

Local Time:
    Why? Microsoft started in a garage. Our software will be freely available on a site like github/gitlab/sourceforge, and everybody will be able to install it on another server if they like, as well as to fork it and make it better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice