Collaboration on new keyholding website?

Discussion in 'Online chastity and self locking' started by trenck, Apr 22, 2020.

1. trenck

trenck Active member

Local Time:
    11:25 AM
    Carlilock is gone, Emlalock is broken and orphaned, thechaste.com has some bugs too and missing features, Chastikey is bad by design (no photo uploads), and all other sites are stuck in development.

We need a new site that actually works.

I could do that, but I have limited time. Many others don't do it either for the same reason.

That's stupid. We can join our efforts. This is not a project that one single person needs to do alone.

One person can administer the webspace and take care that everything needed is installed and working.

One person can design the database schema (I've already done that to some degree the past 2 days).

One person can design the API (Emlalock-type or Rest API).

One person can implement the server-side scripts (Python, Perl, PHP, whatever).

One person can implement a web frontend.

One person can implement an Android app. Etc.

The API must cover everything. No concurrent implementation of server-side features!

Of course, the collaborators on the backend need a common mindset and similar expectations on how the design should be like. If they disagree, they'll either fail or fork another project. A project split is not necessarily a bad thing, if at least one of the projects finally succeeds. But if all of them fail, all of the efforts were in vain.

Everything should become open-source, with a source version control system (GIT, SVN...) and a bugtracking system. Maybe not in the beginning (too much administrative overhead!), but when it is ready for testing. It is important that such a project doesn't depend on single persons. It must be possible to continue the work when some of the collaborators leave.

I am afraid that this looks more like a manifesto than an invitation, but any starting point for discussions is better than nothing.

2. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    The issue is always the stack, some will only do in x stuff while others only on y tech. No common ground, it is not only for the web, the phone app will also suffer from this

If i join i dont want the project to be done in whatever i dont like as i will have to mantain it and not being paid, in my job i do for money but i dont enjoy doing that on my free time

So my suggestion is to start something and let people join if they fit, otherwise you are not going to achive nothing, it wont be the fisrt time i see this figth anf ends in a loss-loss scenario

3. sayonara

sayonara Member

IT
    Sweden
    Local Time:
    12:25 PM
    Would you pay for quality service? Like 5$ per month?

4. trenck

trenck Active member

Local Time:
    Who are you asking, and what service are you talking about? In the modular design I've suggested, only the frontend providers can charge the users directly.

Guest 3972 likes this.
  5. Disciplined Boyfriend

NE Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    10:25 AM
    I would be up for collaborating.... except as indicated above by @Juan. and @sayonara there's a few hurdles:
    My technology skills are C#, C++, C, Java, various assembler, Cobol, Fortran, Algol, Simula, MSSql, MySQL, MongoDB, LiteDB and whilst I can knock up a quick and dirty web site in a few hours I don't think anyone else would want to do it my way and vice versae.

The point is the cost of hosting such a site - web hosting ain't cheap and how is that going to be funded.

IMHO it might be better starting with a Wordpress hosted site and writing a plugin in PHP to do the custom tasks that you need. You get all the infrastructure, database access, membership and other goodness already written and tested and can hit the ground running. The Android app then just hooks into a REST API. Job done.

Then there is the github / SVN. I have a number of online presences: work; non-work and kink and I try to keep these segregated and only use them for the purpose of what I created them for. I would be uncomfortable using my personal Github account for a project such as this, or using my own libraries.

Guest 3972 likes this.
  6. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    I can still help if something comes or starts to come from this

All i can say for now it is that if the web is WP based i dont want to help on that part, i am sorry but i had been developing webs for 3 years using CMS (mostrly Joomla and WP) and i know from experience that if the web it is not suited for what you get out of the box you will only find pain, specially on WP which it is the hardest CMS to code an add-on/plugin/how you want to call it. I have the feeling that no CMS will do all what it is needed in this project so in the end custom plugins will be needed and i refuse

I refuse because CMS it is not the proper tech to solve the web part, if the web is well done and nice the phone and desktop could be an HTML wrapper, 0 effort done since all the testing, code and stuff is already done and tested. Using a CMS makes this impossible so it is a bad choice from the start, even that i "hate" js NodeJs would be much more better option to code once and run in all platforms an OS

7. Disciplined Boyfriend

NE Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Of course, it would be fantastic if there was a addin/plugin for XenForo and it was hosted here, or bare minimum use CM's authentication.

8. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    I dont think it is as good idea as it sounds, unfortunetly the hosting this site is using is not as stable as it should be, my theory is that it can handle the load of Europe but when in USA the noon starts the forum behaves badly, too much load to handle and many indirect 500 erros happens, some files lost like the CSS, long load times and other stuff that should not happen, as i am not an admin i dont know for sure but it is my guess

If anyone of the team from here allows this project to be hosted here or at least like the idea i could look how to develop a plugin for this platform but not before as without a reason learn how to code for this forum is a waste of time being a niche one and i dont expect is an easy task even knowing how to do it for other CMS

I am really open to options, i am only giving my opinon but if what the mayority wants is against what i think for me is ok, i am only another developer and as a team i will take care of other tasks if i dont like the techs used, after all coding is only around 20-25% of any project, i dont mind documentation or QA or else

9. idled

idled New member

Local Time:
    I've considered this problem as well. I think the main issue is it's hard to get commitment from many different people to put in lots of work when there isn't money involved. I think the solution is to put the time in yourself, lay the foundation, and make it easy for others to contribute once the project is off the ground (open source, public wiki for documentation, donations for hosting, etc.).

The nice thing is, as you mentioned, all the other options suck right now, and users don't have much lock-in (heh) to whatever site they're currently using. You probably don't need to do much work before your site is as good as or better than everything else.

10. tiemeupalso

tiemeupalso Long term member

texas
    Local Time:
    4:25 AM
    i wish someone would make another TIMELOCK.it was the best there was,and someone could send you a code that you put in your program and you would not know what the settings were.
    if my windows 7 computer hadnt crashes i would have had several copies on it.
    i could use one for chastity and one of the others for selfbondage.

amvetsb likes this.
  11. trenck

trenck Active member

Local Time:
    1) Wordpress and other CMS: These are used for publications of news content. That's totally different from what we need for a keyholding site: a slim API with eleborated parameter checking and fast database access.
    2) On technology skills such as certain databases and scripting languages: If we want to do it properly, we should choose what is better for our purpose, not what we have experience with. I am experienced with Perl5 and Oracle, but Perl5 is somewhat out of fashion and I see a decline in modules being developed for it, so it seems to me that something like Python (or maybe Perl6) may be the way to go, even though I know nothing about it yet. A software developer can program in any language if it is well-documented. Neither would I suggest Oracle, as it isn't free. PostgreSQL has a good reputation, so that may currently be the best choice, even though I have no experience with it. The webspace should consequently provide the database, scripting language etc. that we want; but if someone offers us webspace for free, we would rather use what is there if it can do the job.
    3) I have been a customer of World4You for many years. They offer cheap webspace, but the server logs can only be exported once a day. Such a limitation is horrible if you aim to develop a website or to provide support for its users. I also had problems running OS commands or fetching files from other websites. It would really be better to have an own server with root access. I already had my own server at home many years ago, but I can't do that anymore since I switched to an internet access provider with dynamic IPs. But those of you who have a static IP should be able to set up an Apache webserver at home easily.

12. steviepie

steviepie inferior and unworthy male

Manager
    the States
    Local Time:
    5:25 AM
    how about letting an architect make those decision and then request specific support to develop each element PER THE SPEC........those who have a "better" mousetrap need not apply

13. MeatLocker

MeatLocker Owned & Owner

IT Generalist
    Los Angeles
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    2:25 AM
    Interested in potentially hosting this project. I agree that starting with a vision and an architect is the way to build this.

Disciplined Boyfriend likes this.
  14. Disciplined Boyfriend

NE Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Traditionally we start with requirements gathering and interview the various actors and come up with the requirements specification. Some sketches of screen layout, data flows and narratives used to be the way before we all jumped on the modelling bandwagons.

Anyone want to start with their requirements and features?

15. amvetsb

amvetsb Long term member

Network Infrastructure Engineer
    USA - Mid-Atlantic
    Local Time:
    I could host a physical machine either at home, a POP or data center which I have physical access to and am responsible for.. I have plenty of IP space, bandwidth, etc.. Years ago I had a somewhat static http server using Apache on a PC box but haven't tinkered with anything like that in a long time... I have one PC that could probably support something like this, but if not I'm not interested in spending thousands of dollars on a server-class system out of my own pocket... I'd need help setting things up, but would be happy to be a part of this adventure.

16. CaramelMochaBoss

CaramelMochaBoss Caramel skin. Likes to be boss in bed.
    Verified Female

Manila, Philippines
    Local Time:
    5:25 PM
    Maybe do a kickstarter/ crowd fund it. So professionals can be hired to finish the job. Problem with voluntary annonymous work efforts is there is no accountability and timelines can be dragged on indefinitely. Skills and methods of volunteers also vary so the production pioeline can be a big head ache.

I suggest draft the plan, budget, timetable and seek crowdfunding. A compelling "why" for the project will encourage support from people.

U can also do a feasibilty study how the site/project/product can earn so it survives and can afford later updates and employees to maintain it.

17. amvetsb

amvetsb Long term member

Network Infrastructure Engineer
    USA - Mid-Atlantic
    Local Time:
    I lack the talent with modern programming, but can support the physical hardware and connectivity.

18. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    The one who designs the code should know the stuff the team will use and in the design phase the tech should be clear, otherwise it is not going to work. Dont think in code as it is more complex, think on the database structure, you need to know the tech because NoSql it is another world from SQL, when you know which one you also need to know which product as not every engine of a database allows the same things, being Oracle or SQL Server matters, maybe not hugely but yes to some degree. With code it is the same, you need to know what you are working with

But dont take as law, it is only my opinion based on experience, it could work but chances are lower, a UML diagram for Python will not work on Java or shouldnt, that´s why it is important to know with what are you dealing with, it matters and if you design something that you have no idea it will not be good, i dont like Python and try to avoid all i can so as you can expect i dont know the full potential it has and if i design something to be written in Python it will be garbage, maybe not but most probably. Imagine if i dont even know the lang of it is unknown at the time...

19. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    You cant do that simply because custom software like this is really really expensive, you will never reach the amount need for something that specific as this and knowing the amount already means that at least the design it is done and the hours needed to end the project can be estimated

And you are lefting behind the thing about ethic/morality, not every developer will do the job even if it is a payed one. Some dont want to know anything about NFSW or related stuff in their portafolio. Call it what you want but it is a reality, sex is a tabu in our society for better or worse

20. Disciplined Boyfriend

NE Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    This is project is doomed... unless somebody takes the initiative and gets something started. Anyone fancy getting hosting a project on their Github? Start with a wiki, get some ideas/ requirements / features written down. Actually we need a name for the project and for the site. Any ideas? Maybe Project Padlock, Confinement, Cager?

As far as resources go, I'm happy to host development on my personal Github, I can also host trials on my Azure account

For databases I would recommend a NoSql over SQL, it definitely simplifies the thought process and coding effort. MongoDB is worth a look, get a cloud account and they'll host your database on a cluster for free (subject to size and other concerns that'll we'll probably never hit), alternatively lots of hosting sites will give a MSSQL or MySQL instance. I would keep clear of Oracle, its expensive and a real pain to set up. If you have skills in Oracle, then MSSQL or MySQL should be a breeze for you.

21. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    I agree 100%, i already told that, start something and people will join, dont try to get a team because it is not going to work

Disciplined Boyfriend likes this.
  22. trenck

trenck Active member

Local Time:
    Sorry that I'm not keeping up with this discussion I started. Summer is the time when I'm most busy with other projects.

Your offer looks promising. What hardware and connectivity is it? Can you install Linux or a BSD on it? Then provide a root login for me (ssh or similar). ;)

23. chaste_for_her

chaste_for_her Active member

Local Time:
    I've been thinking about this for a while.

How about before anybody argues about tech, some actual work determining feature set, user stories, etc be done. What do you all want this to do?

24. trenck

trenck Active member

Local Time:
    Well, a minimum feature set would obviously consist of:
    • user registration
    • session creation and configuration
    • offering sessions to others as a lockee or KH
    • messages between users
    • upload and verification of combination photos and verification photos
    • email notifications
    Nice to have are also:
    • voting on sessions
    • games
    • activity feed / and history
    • photo albums
    • blogs
    • maybe a forum, but people get pissed off when a moderator is incompetent
    • optional verification of the user's real identity so you can restrict voting to verified users to prevent lockees from using fake (duplicate) accounts to vote for themselves
    It should be possible to have multiple keyholders for a session, with a possible hierarchy among them. This doesn't need to be implemented right from the start, but the database and API should be designed with that in mind.

Some might also like:
    • pillory (but only when a lockee has misbehaved, not as a result of daily games, because that has got out of hands on Emlalock)
    • requirement links (but I hate them, because they force users to spam others)
    • timeouts (also called hygiene openings) (but a timeout is actually a session termination and then the start of a new session, as nobody can force the user to put on the belt again)

25. Byrdie

Byrdie Junior Member
    Verified Female

Seattle, WA - USA
    Local Time:
    2:25 AM
    Previously, there was this suggestion:

Perhaps with the option of keeping them locked to the people involved in the session, or making them public?

Emlalock uses Discord. I have no idea how much, if anything, it costs to start one's own channel - or how much moderation gets complained about on any given Discord channel - but it could be worth looking into.

Seems reasonable.

I was wondering about that while poking around Emlalock.

With that said, requirement and friend links are what drew me into attempting to explore Emlalock. However, I do wish that the Emlalock posts on this forum were limited to one possibly pinned thread.

• My big wish would be for beginner-level documentation. As easy as it is to click a link to affect someone's time in chastity, registering on Emlalock to see if I could do more led to a bit of frustration. It took me a while to find the meat of their Wiki pages, and even upon reading them I was still confused: it appears that the original author's first language was German, and that he's more on the tech side of things than the end-user side. That said, he put in a decent effort but ... ugh.

• Once the help files have been written in one language, then having other bilingual volunteers help to translate them into other languages would also be ideal, under the assumption that there'll be new users from other countries.

• I've been given to understand that Emlalock was hit hackers a year or so back and either didn't have site back-ups or those were corrupted during the hack: hence the slap-dash documentation it has now. I don't know how often sys admin types like doing back-ups, or if multiple back-up locations would be feasible, but it might be something to consider.

• In regards to other countries, I know that many sites prefer to list users by their country of residence. One of the things I've noticed about Chastity Mansion and, to a greater extent, Emlalock, is that they tend to use time zone as an identifier. To me, this and language spoken make sense for casual online play because everyone's more likely to be running on the same time - or an acceptable variation thereof.

• However, if there's going to be a personals search feature, then having options to search by specific location (city, county, state, country region, time zone, country, continent, world) makes more sense.
    I'd be willing to volunteer to test and write up help documents in English, translating from tech notes, so long as I could reach out to folks for clarification when I got baffled about how to use a feature.

Juan. and amvetsb like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice