Art in CM: locked penis images & freedom

Discussion in 'Journals and blogs' started by Achedlock17, Jan 20, 2019.

Random Thread
  1. Achedlock17

Achedlock17 Long term member

Local Time:
    11:18 AM
    Hello,

I’m a male who has never been locked but who enjoys the idea in fantasy.

As I have posted on other threads there is a conceptual/theoretical way to understand the Mansion but in this thread I wanted to put forward an artistic interpretation of the locked penis images in the galleries.

Kant, Schiller and Hegel all agreed that what we experience with beautiful art is an experience of our freedom.

Kant emphasised our inner experience of viewing beautiful things and when I view locked penis images I experience a sense of vertigo at the awesome act of freedom the males have exercised in agreeing to be locked and at the autonomy so generated for their KHs.

In contrast to Kant, Schiller located the beauty in the object itself (in this case the photos of locked penises). By his standard such images count as beautiful art if they show the appearance of freedom when in fact their subject is not free. Here I think the freedom that shows its appearance is that of the KH, and the twist is that even after using her freedom to persuade a male to be locked, the KH is not completely free in the noumenal sense (for instance in the everyday empirical phenomenal world she still needs to obey laws/ live life in a more or less conventional way; furthermore flushed with her new found confidence and dominance sexually she perhaps becomes compelled to find ever new ways to demonstrate such freedom and to show that to others in the Mansion/Fetlife/IRL, which, taken to extreme would be unfreedom if it became a compulsion).

Hegel differs from Schiller in arguing that beautiful art manifests true freedom, rather than just showing the appearance of freedom. One way to understand this would be to see the images of locked penises displayed in the galleries as being produced by free spirited dominant females to manifest for other spirited dominant females their freedom, using the Mansion as the means.

Hegel also thought that the content of art should be the divine in human form, and rather than leaving it to others to decide whether locked penises answer to that description I propose that they clearly do so, because of the acts of freedom represented (of the male in agreeing to be locked and of the KH in exercising her freedom as she chooses thereafter).

Would be interested in any feedback.

2. Blue Moon

Blue Moon Long term member

Driver
    Dallas, Tx
    Local Time:
    5:18 AM
    A caged cock has the freedom of focusing on things in life other than the pursuit of sex and orgasm.

EbonyToeAddict and Achedlock17 like this.
  3. Billus

Billus Laconic.

UK
    Local Time:
    Except that probably 98% of the gallery images are posted by the wearers of the devices, not their KH's. So you should instead look for inspiration in sources such as Warhol, who celebrated the everyday as art. Certainly the repetition you see by examining photo after photo of locked penises is reminiscent of Warhol's obsession with silkscreening an image multiple times. The penis in the cage becomes a utilitarian object elevated to 'art' simply because the artist makes it so.

Achedlock17 likes this.
  4. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    As a consideration

Is the mind of the bearer of a locked cock free to focus on the pursuit of sex erections and orgasms without the distraction of having any getting in the way and thereby prolonging the pursuit

Achedlock17 likes this.
  5. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    Thanks interesting. I can see why that could well be true subjectively for the locked male, with benefits for his KH, and a further question then would be whether he thereby expands and deepens his engagement with other social issues beyond the relationship with his KH?

6. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    Thanks-very interesting parallel with Warhol and conceptual art. For now what I find amusing/disruptive is the link to Hegel’s requirement of true fine art that it have as content the human figure...
    I take your point about how it’s usually the locked male who posts the images of their locked penis, but I assume in some cases they are doing so as the instrument of their KH’s freewill.

7. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    How many people would consider the modal pictures of a penis or a penis in a cage or an empty cage as being art? I don't or at least I have not yet seen a picture of that type that I would consider to be art.

I have pictures like that of my own the majority of which show the cage alone or in use in a bid to inform those that do not have that type of cage rather than titilate the senses or imagination of the viewer. I do not have pictures of my penis uncaged as we all know what a PA is what a circumcised penis looks like and there would in my opinion nothing to be served by having in my CM albums such an otherwise unremarkable photograph.

I have seen some cages which are works of art in themselves ( not always practical I might add) so a picure of one of those occupied or not might be construed as art by some. I think of such photos as depictions of pieces of art or examples of art rather than the photos themselves being a work of art in their own right.

There are many definitions of or reponses to the questiom '' What is Art?'' some by well known historical figures but I suppose it all comes down to one's own perception .....what you consider to be art is art... but don't expect everyone to agree.

Arguably one of the purposes of Art is to encourage discussion.

8. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    Or if indeed he needs to consider anything at all outside of his relationship and its dynamic that he would not have considered or in any more depth had he not been locked and denied.

9. Blue Moon

Blue Moon Long term member

Driver
    Dallas, Tx
    Local Time:
    5:18 AM
    Probably if he was already bent that way. I’m a strict conservative, hard-working, boot strap kinda guy and I accept no less from those around me. No amount of chastity could turn me into a SJW, community activist or other rabble rouser. I got mine, let others get theirs or do without.

Wannabee and HeForHer like this.
  10. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    #10 Achedlock17, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Well I did intend to provoke discussion so we agree on that. Also, agreement is not everything, so I’m not too worrried about “how many people” etc. That being said I don’t think any man is an island so let me argue my point by putting forward the viewi that the CM galleries are indeed art galleries-as @Billus has pointed out at least since Duchamp what makes something art is arguably that it appears in an art gallery. So what would argue for the Mansion or at least its galleries being art galleries? Well the whole scenario is a celebration of the freedom of the human (female) spirit. There is (female) free will in denying the function of the male procreative organ except when determined by the female. The overwhelming (for males like me) force of femininity that pervades the Mansion situates it at the vanishing point of the dynamical sublime: the view from death: for locked males their member is as if dead at least functionally and, ironically this is what worried Victorians suggested to overcome excessive masturbation: that one imagines being dead. There are plenty of artistic themes in the Mansion. Returning to the images of locked penises themselves, why not? After all Gustave Courbet’s L’origine du monde shocked Paris in 1866 but is undoubtedly considered to be art now. So why not locked penises?

Billus likes this.
  11. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    Thanks-its good to know that you’re exercising part of your individual freedom as I am, choosing sometimes to be inside this feminine social ordering in the Mansion.

12. Billus

Billus Laconic.

UK
    Local Time:
    I'm glad you mentioned Duchamp; that's exactly what I was thinking of (Fountain, to be precise).

I would not make that assumption; having never worn a cage yourself, you may be underestimating the almost obsessive drive many males have to display their penis, especially when locked. While some undoubtedly do as a directive of their KH, I would have to say that the overwhelming majority show off for self-arousal/sexual humiliation.

13. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    Thanks for your point, which I accept. That being said, is there not a kernel of freedom in the male’s exhibition of their locked state? Surely “denying nature” is a sure sign of culture, not nature? The arousal/self-humiliation arises from such a self-negating act. If correct then again, in Hegel’s terms, the images figure human freedom.

14. Billus

Billus Laconic.

UK
    Local Time:
    Oh, absolutely. It is self-expression by being a literal metaphor for the struggle (of life, against nature, one's own desires, and so on). The act of subjugation belies the valor of the desire for freedom. The caged penis as art might find similarities in the work of Leni Riefenstahl or Soviet propaganda posters. The act of struggle becomes the art, which of course has roots that can be traced back to Hegel, Nietzsche, et al.

Naturally, some guy locking up his junk and posting a photo of it here is probably not aware of all this, but these references serve only to explain, not direct, the actions.

15. Giles_English

Giles_English Chaste slave

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    10:18 AM
    Coming in from the Victorian thread...

Based on introspection and conversations with others (some in RL!), I think there's several things going on, more to do with (evolutionary?) psychology than philosophy, though I am interested in your philosophical response.

First and foremost, submissives, and, related to that, most of us are masochists. This is pretty much hard wired. and feels awfully like an orientation. Femdom in general, and chastity in particular, are examples of "Super Normal Stimuli". Just as the Australian beetle prefers mating with a beer bottle over its less shiny female counterparts, and just as humans have difficulty stopping eating sugary things because in primal times the supply of honey (or whatever) would run out before it became harmful, Femdom & Chastity have evolved to perfectly trigger our already strong submissive instincts. Not only can we not resist, but we cannot want to resist. Better (worse?) yet, wearing a device sets up a feedback loop, enhancing our submissive feelings - and that's an actual reason why we want to wear one!

The submissive part also explains our preferred relationship stance. To feel fulfilled, I need to be subordinate to my wife. And, in addition to my masochistic urges, I need her to be mean in order to show that's she's in charge. This includes lockup times and orgasm denial way in excess of what I might negotiate for play.

Related to super normal stimulation; there's something weird going on around gender. Some of us feel more ourselves when locked.

Finally, I don't think chastity negates our sex drives, or is a rejection of them. Rather we are exchanging short orgasms for indefinitely prolonged plateau phases.

16. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    Thanks for your post. I’m a bit pressed for time at the moment so I’ll limit my reply for now to initial thoughts, as follows:
    In Kantian terms you are describing submission as a transcendental condition of possibility for you to have what feels like “whole” experience-it would be, as such, invariant to any and all actual experience. I can see why this might survive the evolutionary editor, as long as submissives submit to suitably skilled (in surviving) dominants.
    You also associate masochistic orientation as well in many cases-this seems to me to be at higher risk of being edited out by evolutionary selection pressure, although I suppose it might lead to competition amongst female dominants which could be useful in their developing deterrent skills combatting unwanted insiders to be exiled or outsiders (even if limited to the dimension of female relational aggression). The “vanilla female audience” twist to a lot of femdom in my view is such “training” in practise.

However the evolutionary arguments go the contemporary philosophical question would be whether you have any freedom and if so how it could manifest itself. In your case freedom would amount to going against the super normal stimuli so as to change your (pseudo) transcendental synthetic a priori submissive orientation if persuasive enough reasons arose. In a non submissive male the test would be whether he could “choose to be submissive” (or locked) for reasons that were convincing but not compelling to him. In each case the reasons would have to overcome the “enjoyment” of the initial orientation.
    As input to the question of the completeness of the evolutionary perspective here, relevant would be the role language plays in submisisve orientation (eg can verbal humiliation; derogatory remarks be super normal stimuli)?

17. Giles_English

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Briefly, I see lots of examples of vanilla unwitting Femdom and masochism in modern and historical culture, e.g. strenuous courtship of hard to get partners, the "friendzone" experience in adults, asymmetric relationships, Courtly Love, the trope of the henpecked husband etc... this leads me to think it's hardwired. BDSM emulates all this at more intense levels, and without the "natural" cutoffs. Verbal humiliation fits this pattern: to be humiliated is to accept a lesser status.

From this perspective, most of the discourse around power exchange is just a "skin". The real understanding is to be had in observing what people actually do.

This also explains how vanilla partners can be drawn in. Though fetishes aren't contagious, power exchange feels natural and a partner with the right personality will also slowly succumb to super stimulation.

(My conjecture is that male submissiveness has an adaptive advantage in terms of raising the next generation, and perhaps enabled younger males a chance to breed by hanging around an alpha male's mate. Masochism on its own might be an aspect of mental toughness.)

Now the tricky part.

I think I understand the question. In less precise English, it would be: "Can we change our submissive orientation?" My answer is, "By definition, no."

I am free to not submit, but not free to stop being a submissive. I can (could) choose my partners, but not my dynamic.

For example, hypothetically, if my wife accidentally drank too much at a reception, I would take charge and get her home, but once she had sobered up I would take orders from her.

Similarly, my (now very distant) relationship history shows me going from one (mostly vanilla) dominant partner to another. Had explicit power exchange been an option back then, I would still have moved from one relationship to another, but would always have been submissive.

All that freedom is severely limited by pragmatic considerations and undercut by masochism. If I baulk at a submissive act, I may damage our Femdom relationship. It's therefore in my interests to take the rough with the smooth. Meanwhile, my masochism rejoices whenever I am nudged out of my comfort zone. (This makes consent more nuanced than some dommes would like!).

The vanilla man might enjoy some of the sensations around Femdom and chastity, especially heightened arousal. Through masturbation, the intensity of his adverse reaction to these kinks might turn into a fetish. One or both of these together might make him an enthusiastic "bottom". However, he couldn't choose to be submissive any more than he could choose to be gay. (However, he could discover unexplored aspects of his sexuality).

Billus likes this.
  18. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    Once again, thanks for your reply. I will make more than one post in reply to it but for now I want to point out the potential relevance to your argument of the work of Robert Trivers on the evolution of self deception, the better to deceive others. It aligns with the tradition of German idealist philosophy which negatives inner empirical experience in the interest of (the hypothesis of) conscious freedom.
    I am not saying I believe Trivers is right, not least because I also get off on submission to female dominance albeit not in a relationship context. So ones inner experience can be trusted but, if Trivers is right, only up to a point Lord Copper (see my reference in the video thread built around Blade Runner “how can the males not know what they are?”. Through language and social challenge we may begin to question our (evolved) genuine inner experience in the name of truth and freedom. At what point would the inner experience itself alter in the light of such disruption from outside/others (so altering the overall “Gaze” or orientation if at all )? I think you’re saying “not at all even if Trivers is right”. Is that right?

19. Jasmic68

Jasmic68 Long term member

Early retirement
    UK Midlands
    Local Time:
    4:03 PM
    This is a really interesting thread, thanks for starting something that for me is completely original. I don’t have any experience of the deeper elements of art and it’s philosophical use, though I have studied semiotics and it’s impact on the use of symbology in art.

For me the vast majority of caged penis images are anything but art, though I accept art can use anything. From my studies in photography I have a great deal of enjoyment looking at the work of Martin Parr and his exploration of the mundane, ridiculous and every day. Although I’m not sure what he would do with a caged penis I would have loved to see Robert Maplethorpe get hold of male chastity as a subject.

I find images that include a female participant far more arousing than one that has obviously been taken by the male alone. In addition obvious porn is obvious. Overtly pornographic images do absolutely nothing. Something that looks real, an image taken by a real couple has a far greater impact. I think this is because it confirms what and my Wife are doing is happening elsewhere.

Thinking of Deschamp I find it mildly amusing that I haven’t used a urinal for its intended purposes for three years, since using one whilst locked up is utterly impossible. For me urinals really have taken on a different status!

20. Giles_English

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    (The following is all "in my opinion")

The litmus test would be a bad experience related to the kink, for example being in an abusive relationship with somebody who fits their preferred erotic category.

The "mere" fetishist would (hypothetically) move on to different turn ons and the fetish would fade. It was only a reinforced masturbation fantasy anyway.

The mildly kinky person would still feel the tug of their kink, but would associate it with bad experiences and go think about something else: they have other ways to be their authentic self, and other turn ons.

In those cases, Trivers may be proven right if they had previously identified as deeply kinky in order to experience their kink or fetish.

Then there are, hose at my end of the spectrum who are deeply kinky. Abusive relationships are particularly damaging for us because the abuse hits the same mental buttons - it's a deep violation of self. Even so, once we have our heads together, we still seek out our kink. So Trivers does not apply here.

I hope that answers your question...

21. Giles_English

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    But then you'd have to define art to exclude images of non-consensual acts! If there is freedom in the chastity images, it's freedom from the masculine burden. However, I suspect the thrill you experience is something darker and more primal.

22. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    Thanks for your positive feedback-its good to receive.
    I only know a bit of Martin Parr's work but I can see the link to it that you draw attention to. Re Mapplethorpe my mind boggles at what he would have done re chastity!

Ironically, arguably the less compulsive your arousal is the more likely it is that the image is art, and vice versa. Kant for instance disqualifies anything that we have an interest in from being beautifulart-so out of the window go images of what we desire or what we believe promotes the good, mediately.

Put differently I am basically hetero but I don't get aroused by L'Origine du Monde by Courbet.

Jasmic68 likes this.
  23. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    Hegel would agree with that limitation and probably Schiller too (though the latter would argue that to be art the depicted would have to appear to be free).
    With Kant the subjective feeling of "free play" between the Understanding and Imagination could conceivably work with respect to the profusion of concepts animated by an image of non consensual acts, but I'm sure his Categorical Imperative would rule them out, and the making of images thereof, on moral grounds..

24. Achedlock17

Local Time:
    It does thank you.
    It is the "head that is together" at your end of the spectrum that I am intrigued by as it's "Gaze" (detecting abuse when the buttons of enjoyment are being pressed) correlates to a presupposition of some contemporary theorists in political philosophy and freedom such as Zizek that there is a space "between the two deaths" wherein the subject makes a truly ethical choice not grounded in their previous "authentic" self embedded in "authentically enjoyable" activities. Isn't it this "Gaze" that is the truly authentic self, not the "subject who enjoys", in other words.
    However we have digressed a long way from art so in a day or two I will post further thoughts on my "theory of FLR" thread on this topic. Once again thanks for your comments.

25. Giles_English

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    OK so how does my answer apply to Zizek etc?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice