Venus in Fur - on BBC4 iPlayer

Discussion in 'Book and movie reviews' started by maid_carrie, Jan 12, 2017.

1. maid_carrie

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    4:17 AM
    The 2013 Polanski movie Venus in Fur was shown on BBC4 on Sunday 8th January and it is available on iPlayer for the next 26 days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04d1jp7/venus-in-fur

I found it a very good movie and it probably helps if you have already read the book by Sacher-Masoch "Venus in Furs"

This is not a movie of the book but of a playwright doing an audition for a play from the book and a late attendee knows more of it than at first sight.

Described on Rotten Tomatoes as "Provocative, funny, and brilliantly acted" - I would agree.

Other views would be good to hear - and apologies to non-UK folk who can't access it on BBC :(

It is available here though https://www.amazon.com/Venus-Fur-Mathieu-Amalric/dp/B00O09S2NY

2. frankie teardrop

frankie teardrop Long term member

Service Industry
    Oz
    Local Time:
    It's been available on DVD for a while.

Roman Polanski's wife, Emmanuelle Seigner, plays Wanda and she is wonderful. The young man is practically a mirror image of Polanski himself from earlier days (the 70s, the 'Chinatown' era) which is kind of interesting.

I love Polanski's films generally and he has a fascinating life story but I was a bit disappointed in this one. It needed to go much further than it ever does. Worth a look though.

3. maid_carrie

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yes indeed - available as a DVD should anyone want to purchase it. Certainly well worth it for Emannuelle Seigner's acting. :)

It would be good to know how it differs from the stage play by David Ives on which is it was based. How much Polanski was injected when they collaborated in the writing of the screenplay, for instance.

It seems to have been well received as a play and had its Australian Premiere in Brisbane in 2013 - lucky Brisbane :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice