Processed vs Premium Versatile

Discussion in 'Cherry Keeper' started by Joes, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Joes

Joes New member

student
    Germany, Saarland
    Local Time:
    3:19 AM
    As far as I know, Premium Versatile is quite a bit smoother than Processed.

I'm wondering If sanding could make Processed Versatile even smoother than Premium?

Or would the best idea be sanding Premium Versatile?

2. Turma

Turma Long term member

systemadministrator
    Germany - near Hannover
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    3:19 AM
    You're talking about 3D printing and the raw materials you use for it.

With filaments, there is a wide range of raw materials that you can use for printing. The terms you use here are marketing terms from e.g. Shapeways to sell you "better" materials for a higher printing price.

The best thing to do is to take a look at this:

https://all3dp.com/1/3d-printer-filament-types-3d-printing-3d-filament/

There you get a rough overview of the different available filaments.

Solltest du Deutsch lesen können empfehle ich diese Seite hier:
    https://formlabs.com/de/blog/leitfaden-lebensmittelechtheit-3d-druck/

After the printing comes the thickening of the materials, of which again thousands, and yes I mean thousands, of methods are available.

From electroplating to grinding and various additional printing (coating and lacquering), everything is conceivable to make the basic form more stable, resistant, softer, more pleasant, etc.

So you would have to be more specific with your question so that they can give you information.

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  3. CabanaJack

CabanaJack Long term member

Retired
    USA, Denver CO
    Local Time:
    7:19 PM
    For a base ring, yes, I think sanding Processed Versatile can result in a surface smoother than Premium. I can say that I ended up sanding my two Premium Versatile rings.

Depending on the length of the cage, though, it can be tough to do an effective job of sanding the inside of the cage. Should I need to order another CK, I might consider saving a bit on the ring by ordering it in Processed Versatile and then going for the spendier Premium on the cage.

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  4. JosieLynn Jewell

JosieLynn Jewell Long term member

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    9:19 PM
    To address the original question....

Yes, sanding on any of the finishes can provide a finish that is smoother than Premium - if you want to take the time and go slow and do it right. As an example of that, the base ring I used for Locktober (32 days!) was actually off my FDM printer (started off pretty rough where the supports came off), but was finished even smoother than the MJF PA12 Black Smooth print that arrived toward the end of October. I think it was finished with just 400 grit sandpaper (can't find a piece of the sheet with the number on it)

As an aside - IMHO, when I have ordered Premium in the past, I still tweaked the finish when I got it. Several years in now, I've found that the texture on the finish was never my problem, and I can just take a new part out of the box and wear it without problem.

P.S. The ring in question had a new feature for rings not yet in the shop - now that it's fully tested, look for it soon :)

sis_nikki, Joes and 3hsmka like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice