Depressed and hopeless

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Uaral, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Uaral

Uaral Active member

Germany, Bavaria, Rosenheim
    Local Time:
    4:41 PM
    I've taken Escitalopram and Venlafaxine. Both did nothing except for unpleasant side effects.
    My pschiatrist started giving me Duloxetine about two months ago.

Nothing, but unpleasant side effects. He increased the dose, because the serum level was too low in my blood.
    Nothing. Still side effects ofc.
    In two weeks he wants to give me lithium additionally. And it seems like he doesn't care when I tell him I don't wanna take them anymore, because of zero use and unpleasant side effects.

2. zbovka

zbovka Design Enthusiast

Local Time:
    10:41 PM
    Have you considered getting hormonal blood tests? For example, TSH/T3/T4 for thyroid disorder. An excess of T3/T4 can increase your metabolism to the point that your gut will start failing, and due to a complex series of problems related to how proteins work in your nervous system (most observed being deactivation failure of gate potentials in motor neurons), and thus it can indirectly cause depression, heart palpitations (and possible failure).

If you have goiter's variation, you can check by checking the lumps just above the roots of your collar bone and feeling if it is stiff and may protude more than your neck muscles when tensed up. Depression is an early indicaton, but often overlooked part of this disease, especially since it usually happens in women rather than men.

There's a lot of things that may directly or indirectly cause depression, and unfortunately doctors are only human, so after visiting the same doctor multiple times you may need to switch since a different doctor may have new ideas.

I've always been a rather apathetic person, but I had the above mentioned hormonal inbalance issue which caused me to have quite the depression for most of my life ever since I was young, and in my case was probably caused by puberty. I only got it checked out about half a year before I went to the ER for it as they couldn't find out from a sparse range of symptoms I had, and when I got a new doctor they basically said that I "should be dead" with the blood values they were reading. His wife died to a similar condition to me apparently, so he took the situation quite dearly.

Uaral likes this.
  3. Uaral

Uaral Active member

Local Time:
    Thanks for your advice and input.
    Testosterone got checked in my blood tests in the mental health clinic.

About all those other things, I am not sure. They do check several potential diseases, but obviously not everything. I don't THINK, that it's a physical disease in my case. But worth a look of course.

I am now again in the mental health clinic, so some tests are gonna be done again.
    This time I feel like I am more ready, than last time. Last time I kinda had a mental blockage, and couldn't profit 100% from the treatment.
    This time it's gonna be better. I feel it :)

hopefulhubby likes this.
  4. OscartheTurtle

OscartheTurtle Long term member

People Manager
    Central Ohio
    Local Time:
    10:41 AM
    I know the feeling and can relate. I lost my wife of 25 years to cancer a couple of years ago. I’ve had my own fair share of health issues. I’ve experienced my fair share of depression and anxiety. To the point that I just don’t want to be here any more. I just recently upped my meds. It’s helped but now I’m afraid it’s got me to the point that I just don’t give a damn about anything… Life is hard. Where’s the f***ing user manual??

I feel you. You are not alone in that.

Uaral likes this.
  5. Uaral

Uaral Active member

Local Time:
    Wow, I am really sorry for your loss...

I definitely know the feeling of no longer wanting to be here.
    Felt that for the most part of about the last 5 years. And I still don't know if I can be "healed".
    But for the first time in a long while I feel kinda (hopeful is the wrong word. I don't have any hope) "optimistic".
    Let's see where this'll get me.

Meds unfortunately don't do anything for me, apart from constipation, extreme sweating, sleeping problems, and sexual problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice