Somewhat worried about Chaster's settings

Discussion in 'Online chastity and self locking' started by chastity24me, Apr 20, 2023.

1. chastity24me

chastity24me Member

Local Time:
    9:04 PM
    I recently started using Chaster and I noticed that it defaults to no max duration. In other words, you have to choose a max duration before you start. Also, because this is the default, almost every single shared lock is like this. So if you're like me, with an inescapable device, it's kind of concerning.

But, that's not all. If you're a keyholder, you can 'freeze' your wearer's lock at any time. Freeze prevents your lock's time from going down. So that's another way you can be locked up forever. I'm not sure if the freeze takes into account max duration or not though. Maybe I will make another account to test it out on.

Regardless, I love the app overall, but wish it weren't so risky. I'm hoping that you can contact admins if you do end up getting into a bad situation though. But, I just wanted people to know this was a possibility because when you're looking at a lock you only see the starting duration to starting max duration (which is then chosen at random), but you don't see the implicit longer term you could be in by having the keyholder extend the duration or freeze the lock.

wannabestuck and Lazlo Toth like this.
  2. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    2:04 AM
    Well pointed out!

3. boltedwolf

boltedwolf New member

Local Time:
    8:04 PM
    freezing the lock was probably developed as a punishment option, however i do agree there should be a way to contact admin if it ends up going haywire. something where an admin would contact the keyholder and make sure everythings fine, or unfreeze if there was no response would be my idea.

4. Lazlo Toth

Lazlo Toth C/D on the TomAllen-Rectrix scale: 9/9

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    6:04 PM
    To me, it’s part of the fun. You MUST evaluate a lock’s configuration before joining it.

corsac likes this.
  5. Timberwoof

Timberwoof Active member

Local Time:
    Even if the countdown is frozen, it will unlock when the max time is reached.
    There are three durations in the specification of a lock. Two define the range of start times and the third defines the maximum time. A lock may have, for example, a minimum start of 1 day, maximum start of 3 days, and an overall maximum of 7 days. When you start the lock it could give you anywhere between 1 and 3 days, and you could earn more time through votes and penalties. But it will release you after at most 7 days.
    When you set up Chaster, it suggests you connect to to the Chaster server on Discord. There is a thriving (if somewhat cliquey) community of users, including some very nice admins. If your keyholder abandons you, contact an admin and they'll let you unlock.
    You don't have to have a keyholder with Chaster.

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  6. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    This is great advice for folks.

7. Sissy_Denise

Sissy_Denise Active Sissylander

Local Time:
    9:04 PM
    I won't join a lock with no max unless I have played with the keyholder before and trust them. Always read all the way to the bottom of the description to see if there is a max. Be very careful when playing solo, it is possible to create a lock that might be inescapable if you did not set a max. If you are experimenting, I suggest that you use the "test" lock setting and leave yourself a hygiene setting so you can abort if necessary. The test setting does not show as an abort in your overall stats. I currently have a test lock that I am going to have to abort. I made the lock a little too hard. One thing to watch out for is task settings that require a wait period before doing the next one, make sure you can fit them into your schedule. For example, I set Wheel of Fortune to 5 required spins with a 1 hour wait between spins. Five hours out of 24, no problem, right? Well if I spin once before I go to work, and spin again right after I get home and hit the next 3 right on time, I can make it before bed time. It's always close. If you have any questions feel free to ask, DM, chat or in this thread. Good luck and have fun. Soon you'll be playing with no max!:eek::)

Timberwoof likes this.
  8. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    Sissy Denise is right. You must think the parameters through. I once had a lock with a three hour spin window. Nearly impossible to get unfrozen.

Do NOT worry about your lock being top “easy”. You can always join the next one.

Timberwoof likes this.
  9. Timberwoof

Timberwoof Active member

Local Time:
    If you're just starting out, there are plenty of sane short-duration locks to choose from. Keyholder_bot and ChasterBot have series of locks that start out just a few hours long and go through a week maximum. (Click Explore and scroll down.)

A safe strategy is to get a 4-6" piece of PVC pipe. Drill a hole through two sides of it. Slide your spare key down the tube and secure it with a numbered security tag. In an emergency you can get to it. Unfortunately there's no Chaster support for registering and verifying such tag numbers along with the lock verification photos. Maybe someone clever can write an extension to Chaster that would accomplish this.

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  10. mr_newbie

mr_newbie Long term member

Professional nerd
    Swansea, South Wales
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I had someone ghost me and leave the lock frozen once. The mods were no help.
    They claimed that as she had been logging in they deemed her active. When I said she was unresponsive they tried to pass it off as keyholder mind games. No interest in consent there.

I'm very careful when I lock up on there now.

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  11. Lovelocked

Lovelocked Long term member

Local Time:
    Am I right in thinking that, if you create a self-lock and disable the ability to "offer your lock", no one, except perhaps the mods, can let you out early?

12. mr_newbie

Professional nerd
    Swansea, South Wales
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I'm pretty sure that's the case. Some of the extensions can snow ball as well so it pays to keep it simple if self locking.
    Alternatively you can give the option to offer and have a second account.

If share links are enabled and allow anonymous users to click on them that can be abused by changing your location with a VPN and reconnecting to the page.

13. Lovelocked

Lovelocked Long term member

Local Time:
    I can quite see how a self lock could get out of control without some care.

I think you have answered my supplementary question. If you do enable the ability to offer your lock without setting a keyholder, I don't see why you cannot set up another account with a different email address and password, (maybe you also need different computer) then offer your lock to your alias account and let yourself out.

I had not thought of using a VPN to cheat. It must rather spoil the fun if you can mess with your own lock, on the other hand you don't want to be locked for ever.

mr_newbie likes this.
  14. mr_newbie

Professional nerd
    Swansea, South Wales
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Yeah, I'm not sure there's anything they can do about that really other than prevent the anonymous votes. It's a handy way out of a bind.

15. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    It’s all why I recommend the “add” is one hour. And the subtract = 1 day.

It balances out the crazies.

16. wannabestuck

wannabestuck Long term member

Don’t worry about it
    Pensacola, FL
    Local Time:
    8:04 PM

I mean this is the reason why I love it! Stuck for well over a year now and I have been frozen for most of it. I have one little sliver on my WOF that would unfreeze the lock but I rarely hit it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice