Sound of the lock?

Discussion in 'Novices and newbies' started by bobolink, Aug 10, 2021.

1. bobolink

bobolink Member

Local Time:
    4:34 AM
    I am considering purchasing a metal device that comes with a Master lock opened by a key. I have heard the some folks say you can hear the lock clinking against a metal cage. Has anyone had this experience?

2. Enchained

Enchained Junior Member

Retired
    England, UK
    Local Time:
    9:34 AM
    I had a device with a padlock that clicked as I walked but it wasn't audible under clothing, only when naked, and I quite liked the sound. If we were ever away staying with friends I used to wrap an elastic band either around the lock, or the lock and the cage, which kept it quiet.

3. subrick

subrick Junior Member

Engineering/Technical Education.
    USA, Western Massachusetts.
    Local Time:
    Well, not sure about the specific cage and lock you're looking at, but I know when I'd use a metal key lock or a luggage lock that at times it was audible as it hit the cage, and that was when I wore a plastic cage.

I think it really will depend upon the ambient noise levels and how attuned folks around you are.

Back when we used those types of devices, I DO remember it being somewhat of a challenge in some circumstances to walk and move to minimize the sound to make sure not to draw attention to myself. I think Wifey enjoyed watching me keep things under control. :)

You could always wrap the lock with medical tape, electrical tape or similar tapes to minimize the sound for times when you need to make sure things are quiet. That minimized most of the noise for us. It can be messy to remove, however.

But if you're going to start doing jumping jacks....well...all bets are off! LOL

~subrick

4. That Punk Ass

That Punk Ass Member

Consultant
    Local Time:
    1:34 AM
    Bon4 makes a silicon sleeve for locks but the options above work well too.

5. maid julie

maid julie Long term member

service tech
    NJ
    Local Time:
    I used a wrap of electrical tape to see how it would work. I was amazed. I forget exactly how long it lasted. I was guessing a few days but it was well over a month. I think that it was pushing 2. I was wondering if body heat was the right temp to help the adhesive

6. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    Some people put a hair band around the cage and lock so it doesn’t move. Or another idea is a wrap or two of ptfe tape around the hasp of the lock so it fits tightly in to the device and doesn’t move.

7. RanchoDave91730

RanchoDave91730 Active member

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Local Time:
    1:34 AM
    I put a rubber band around the lock

8. The decorator

The decorator Long term member

Decorator
    England
    Local Time:
    My wife makes me go out for meals / to the cinema etc wearing my cage and a padlock and likes the thought of people hearing it ( even friends! No one has noticed yet, or at least I think they haven’t? Lol

9. bondinchas

bondinchas Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    Another method of silencing a clicking padlock is to put a heat shrink sleeve on it Heat shrink does come in different colours so there's also an opportunity to colour cordinate you lock with your device.
    Heat shrink neatly done would look much nicer than the utilitarian rubber band.

A little more advanced would be to make a clip to hold the padlock secure. I did this using a short section of 15mm chrome plated plumbing tube, which after a slot and notches were cut out of it, lets me slide the tube down over the shackle of the padlock, clipping onto the post, holding it firm. It was tricky to make, I went through a few not so good prototypes first, and of course construction will be different depending on the detail of the specific device. The end result is quite neat though, with a nice shiny chrome tube that's quite comfortable when being so close but not actually touching your keyholder.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice