Religious discussion (continued from “Christianity and Chastity”)

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Muppet, Feb 5, 2024.

1. JaySaysYes

JaySaysYes I identify as someone that is always right

Local Time:
    11:37 AM
    Thanks for sharing your fantasy with us.

2. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
    Well in fact I do have an open mind, I’m not brainwashed. I have been persuaded of certain beliefs and have changed before. Although I think it unlikely that I’ll abandon my religious outlook, I was a stalwart atheist previously and don’t think that made me a wanker, so I don’t think atheists are wankers now. Also the way I conceived of Christianity, say 20 years ago when I was a junior god-botherer, was very different from how I understand things now - so change is possible with or without wholesale paradigm shift.
    I would prefer it if these discussions were a bit less adversarial, however. I am genuinely interested in (and respectful of) how other people make sense of life, so when I ask one of you why you think x, y or z it’s not cos I want to go “aha well here’s why you’re an idiot to think that!”

3. Jay Sub

Jay Sub "Smaller is better"

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Purpose is the meaning we attribute to our individual lives, and that is subjective.

The only demonstrative evidence for an all-round "purpose for life" is procreation.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is good evidence to support anything more.

4. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Did you start life an atheist or are you like turtles, which started in water (fish, amphibians), came on land, and then returned to water?

5. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
    I started as a baby, with no beliefs as such.
    As a child I suppose I was a sort of agnostic - was open to the idea that there might be some sort of invisible powers afoot, whether God, gods, imps or aliens… as far as I can recall I strongly suspected that the mainstream religion as I encountered it in school assemblies and occasional church visits was just some sort of reactionary bullshit aimed at social control. At the age of about 11 I decided that all religion and indeed all civil laws and institutions were a load of crap, and was a wild, punk-rock anarchist through my teens and into my twenties. I was pretty strongly influenced by certain strands of Freudian analysis, radical Marxist and anarchist ideas, and read lots of “transgressive” literature.
    My Christianity came about later, at around 30, and I’m happy to talk about that provided
    a) anyone is interested, and
    b) you realise I have absolutely no agenda to “convert” anyone or “win” a pissing contest.

6. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
    Also, bringing it back somewhat to the topic of kink, part of my alienation from mainstream ideologies (including organised religion) was the fact that I was a total pervert from an extremely young age. I had masochistic desires and fantasies way before I knew anything about sex as such, and I knew I was deeply peculiar. So from very early on I thought of myself as an outsider, who would be judged and condemned if people knew what I carried inside. Since at that time I saw the church as a sort of nostalgia club for squeaky-clean straight conservatives, I felt nothing but enmity towards it. Very well summed up in a lyric from the Damned: “religion doesn’t mean a thing/its just another way of being right wing”

7. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    I disagree, the purpose of life is not procration. Perhaps you mean "reproduce", "multiply", or pass on genetic code. Not all lifeforms on this planet reproduce sexually.

Anyway, one could argue that the purpose of life is death since everything we do, everything we think about, and every breath we take leads us all, inexorably and without exception, to death.

It's hasn't happened yet :p

8. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
  9. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
    I'm going back to church tonight
    Just like back when I was eight
    But I don't mean to pray
    I'm gonna nick the collection plate
    I've got nothing against church
    Only people who go there
    and show they're
    Plain ignorant and don't understand
    a congregation at weekends won't change their behaviour
    So many people are weak enough to have
    to seek answers from the peddlers of hope
    I should know
    I had to go there myself
    Not since the day I became antipope
    Theres gonna be some fun tonight
    Spead the news around the town
    That the vicar's a transvestite
    With a fetish for robes and gowns
    Only people who go there
    and show they're
    I should know
    I had to go there myself
    Religion doesn't mean a thing
    Its just another way of being right wing
    I think sex films are okay
    I don't dig that pope no way
    Only people who go there
    and show they're
    I should know
    I had to go there myself

10. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    Have you tried Islam? Or any of the great many other views of what god is or isn't?

How do you feel about polytheism, or scientology?

11. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
    Btw I still find that lyric to be a perfect denunciation of what passes for mainstream Christianity in the west.

12. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
    I do respect the fact that Muslims appear actually to believe their religion and structure their lives by it. Where I live there are streams of Muslims going to mosque every Friday, and they greet each other with blessings. In most churches you get 20 people on a Sunday if lucky. Most people prefer shopping.
    But I don’t subscribe to Muslim theology. Again, I could enlarge on that if asked.
    I read a book about Jainism and found it attractive as a worldview. Hinduism is an amazing and sophisticated religion but I think people from the west who get into Hinduism are kidding themselves really. Same for western Buddhists.
    I have deep respect for the Jews, they’re tough motherfuckers - and of course Jesus is a Jew.
    Scientology is blatant horseshit.

littleguy3 likes this.
  13. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
    #138 Muppet, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    I forgot which side of the argument you’re masturbating from. Or are you lying in the middle, masturbating into the air with your cum forming a puddle in your navel?
    Incidentally, I generally find that if you don’t intend to offend, it’s not the best idea to suggest that people are masturbating and indulging in fruitless point scoring. Also, I’m no sportsman, but I don’t remember ping pong being played by masturbating. I don’t think my ejaculate has the propulsive force necessary to get a ball over the net… though maybe that’s because of my age. Hey @Jay Sub - you seem like someone interested in physics - do you think it’s theoretically possible for us to travel back to a time when our semen spurted out in powerful, copious jets, and attempt to play table tennis in the way @atxmtb envisages? For the sake of science, I mean.

JaySaysYes likes this.
  14. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    Of course, to be precise, what i said more poetically is that; the purpose of life is to pass on genes. Death is an inevitable consequence of life, not a purpose. It's a result.

15. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    My understanding is that we can go forward in time, simply by getting up to near lightspeed. So if you accelerate up to near lightspeed for 10 years and decelerate for 10, turn round and do the same you would be 40 years older when you return to earth, but earth would be 1000s if not 10s of 1000s of years in the future, depending on how close to lightspeed you get. Going backwards, even the 5.39x10-⁴⁴ (Planck time) in time that it takes you to cum, is impossible.

16. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
    so @atxmtb will have to be disappointed

17. JaySaysYes

Local Time:
    But why haven't you tried them, spcecifically Islam?

(No need to say with scientology, everyone knows it's because of Tom)

BTW - I may have missed it, but what do you think the purpose of life is?

By that measure life is an inevitable consequences of chemical imbalance and therefore meaningless.

Passing on genes is merely an accident of life having fun, and that death is the purpose of life.

Without death, life would lack it's ultimate purpose.

18. atxmtb

atxmtb Long term member

Local Time:
    5:37 AM
    Look, I'm supportive of you all. And sometimes I can keep up with the best of them. Othertimes, I simply get exhausted. This thread, unfortunately is one that I find exhausting. Good for you all to keep it going though. You guys single handedly are keeping the message rate high on Chastity Mansion. That is quite an accomplishment. Nearly every day you are up there on threads with the most replies. So, I tend to be someone who does have an issue with masturbation, and someone who does gets sucked into things that others consider unproductive. And when that happens, I also am someone who will bring attention to it even though I could just shake my head and move on. I promise I will try to be better in the future and simply abstain from pointing out the obvious. I'm thinking if I can design a chastity cage for my typing fingers, I'll be all set.

19. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
    #144 Muppet, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    I went through a phase when every time I got drunk, I became enthusiastic about Islam. But you see the paradox there.
    Plus, you can’t really “try” Islam, because once you’re a Muslim, if you decide to quit they are entitled to kill you. In the words of the pal of a pissed wanker outside a bar, “it ain’t wurf it, mate”.
    But more importantly still, Islam is quite obviously made up by a bloke who cobbled together bits of the Torah and Christian heresy to form an over-rated book far less appealing than its sources.
    Finally, the essence of Christianity is the Incarnation, voluntary Crucifixion and bodily Resurrection of Our Lord, Who thus forms a physical bridge for us between space time and the Eternal World To Come. Islam is about rules. Boring and inadequate.
    As a Christian, I can literally eat the Creator of the Universe any Sunday I choose. I don’t do it often because it takes a lot of preparation, but when I do, Divine Grace radiates out from me and causes little miracles everywhere I go, despite the fact that I’m a complete and utter twat. It’s indescribably fantastic.

20. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
    As for purpose of life… each of us has different purposes, known to God, which we struggle to intuit and fulfil. It’s a mystery, innit?

21. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    As I said there is likely no purpose to life. Of life maybe. Not in any meaningful, spiritual or metaphysical way, but that doesn't mean we don't fill our lives with meaning. What is this chastity journey if love has no meaning. But... How can death be a purpose? Except to fill your grandkids shelves with urns.

22. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    QUOTE Muppet "As for purpose of life… each of us has different purposes, known to"... us,... "which we struggle to intuit and fulfil. It’s... " amazing,... "innit?"

23. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    There... fixed it... lol... and I only had to change two words. Your welcome.

24. Muppet

Muppet Long term member

Ruiner
    Local Time:
    I can see why people might not like various aspects of Christianity. The first thing I thought when I realised I believed it was (word for word): “oh fuck, I’m turning into one of those cunts!”. And I can sure as shit see why people might not like most of the heretical, piss-weak bullshit that passes for Christianity in much of the world. But let’s strip things down to one primary question: do consciousness, intentionality and love emerge from insensate matter as some kind of epiphenomenon? And a second one: if so, how?
    Now, one might choose to be wedded to the conviction that they must - and work and work to solve the riddle. But another possible way to come at it is to consider that perhaps consciousness, intentionality and love precede matter and bring it into being…. I mean ffs, modern physics is able to assert that there is something called “dark matter” that can’t be detected but must be inferred from certain calculations so that the maths works. We still have no idea what gravity is. Why is so laughable to consider that this stuff which constitutes and surrounds us emanated from something like a mind?

25. Jay Sub

Construction Manager
    England - South-East
    Local Time:
    #150 Jay Sub, Feb 20, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    Because believing that a mind created the universe begs the question: How did that superior creative consciousness come about themselves? Then imagine an even more superior consciousness who created them. We then are struggling, not only with an infinite regress, but an ever more complicated regress. That is not parsimonious, and as a model just doesn't work.

Dark matter, dark energy, quantum events... My understanding is that, although we may not understand them completely, there is quite a bit of evidence supporting their existence. The maths doesn't lie.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice