Demise of chatbox

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Dumb1, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Dumb1

Dumb1 senior member

trade
    UK
    Local Time:
    5:35 PM
    have been away for a week and much to my dismay upon returning to this beloved site i find the chatbox gone. Is this a temporary thing ? have the few who found it a problem won the day over the few who actually tried it and used it? it will be a great shame if this site loses the shop window that used to greet new visitors to this place and it would also be a great bonus to everyone who wants everyone to take the same road as them. Having just read a piece here on social tolerance its a pity we cant practice it here:character0114:

2. PuppyMastersPet

PuppyMastersPet Long term member

Local Time:
    It's was all well and good being a shop window, but if the window is full of rubbish then it's neither use nor ornament. Are you living up to your name? This site and it's hosts are very tolerant and to question that would be ridiculous.

It simply appeared to those that actually care about the site and it's images that the chatbox was being misused and wasn't a very good advertisement for the site.

The site does have a very good chat facility for those that wish to chat endlessly. and for those that wish to ask questions well.... it is mainly supposed to be a forum.

3. Dumb1

Dumb1 senior member

trade
    UK
    Local Time:
    slave kris you say the site has a good chat facility have you used it/. i have tried unsuccessfully to use it several times and each time with a similar result about three lines of text and then it freezes. There is also the fact that it is seldom occupied when you do visit the chat room. i have reported the problems several times but still no reply. with regard to your question about living up to my name i assume you mean stroppy, i dont think that asking a simple question instantly makes me stroppy but who am i to say !:anim_39:

4. Goddess Jen

Goddess Jen Expert in tease and denial

Local Time:
    11:35 AM
    I liked it too..especially when I got to say hello to old (Stroppy) and new friends. Unfortunately, I know why MW and the other owners thought it best to get rid of it.

I've missed you, my friend :)

5. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    12:35 PM
    Count me as another one who liked the chatbox. I thought it was a nice feature. At the fall gathering MW and I discussed it and her concern was the image that the conversations there presented to the site. It seems that as others have said, some people don't know how to restrain themselves when online and act civil when on a computer. I guess the "safety" of being in their own home makes them bolder than they'd be in person.

To me it's sad that we need moderators, and reminders that not everyone "plays nice". Criagslist is a great example of a great idea that doesn't work because of this problem and even their forums now have methods for registering and deleting posts.

While I wish there was a way to have the chatbox and make sure it doesn't present the site in a bad way, I understand the reality and respect MW and charlotte's decision. I just wish they weren't forced to make such a decision.

Anyway, let's hope someone can find a solution and they can return the chatbox. Until then, it's just something we'll have to live without.

6. Chickenshed

Chickenshed Junior Member

Local Time:
    4:35 PM
    Why not make the chatbox a subset of The Bar, with no mini-frame on the Forum homepage, and an extra login procedure. That should satisfy all viewpoints.

7. Dumb1

Dumb1 senior member

trade
    UK
    Local Time:
    i am really pleased that i am not alone in missing the chatbox and i hope that when conditions are right it can be reinstalled albeit in a new and possibly different format. I was not and am not being STROPPY even if that is what my name implied i just asked a question as i was away when the decision was made to remove it. The owners of the site after all have the final say and that is how things should be i enjoy the site immensely and have made some wonderful friends here and hope to make many more. :character0053:

8. Mistress Michelle

Mistress Michelle Magical Mistress

Local Time:
    I am getting tired of this chatbox discussion, as I am sure MW and Her pet are. The fact of the matter is, MW and Her pet have the right to do whatever they want, and whatever they feel is best for the site. We all discussed it, MW, Her pet, the moderators of the site and they made a decision. Maybe the chatbox will come back, maybe it wont, but for now its not an option.

Mistress Michelle

9. Mistress Watchful

Mistress Watchful Dont believe the hype ;oP

Professional Dominatrix
    Basingstoke
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I understand why people think it was helpful for meet and greet, but to be honest we were a very successful site before it went up and I'm sure we will continue to be successful now it has gone.

stroppy, I'm really sorry that pet and I missed your several reports. We have both checked our inboxes and the Administrator inbox and cannot find them anywhere.

If you would send a pm to the Administrator we will look at the situation, consider your operating system, firewalls, etc and see if we can resolve the issue.

I've spoken with kris at length in the chatroom and our IM system with no issues at all.

We had complaints whilst I was away about abuse in the chatbox, so we finally gave in and withdrew it. There was far more idle gossip and mudslinging than site welcomes and daily hellos.

As for the idea of a seperate area... there's nothing stopping anyone from starting a weekly thread in the bar every monday. (eg Shoutouts for week beginning Monday 16 November) which can be closed at the end of each week.

It was not a positive part of the site. Demise sums it up perfectly, it went from bad to worse to unacceptable.

It's gone, end of...

10. Dumb1

Dumb1 senior member

trade
    UK
    Local Time:
    well thank you for the explanation Mistress Watchful i was away so was unaware of what happened that was why i asked the question. I didn,t think i was being (stroppy) as Kris put it by asking but if you thought i was i apologise. i shall try the chatroom again now and see

11. Mistress Watchful

Professional Dominatrix
    Basingstoke
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Thank you stroppy. I do hope we can help out, but obviously the more you can tell us via PM about your system, etc the better.

Maybe when we do the VB update soon, it will also help resolve some issues.

12. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    Maam,

I think MWs comments below are great and really make everything clear to those who care (for those who don't it really doesn't matter). Unlike many site owners she's articulated the rationale for removing the chatbox, and actually explained what was going on. To me it shows how caring she and charlotte are in how they not only treat the site but also the users. You are right in that there has been a lot of discussion on this, and it probably has gone on too long, but if there is one good thing about it, it clearly shows the efforts MW and charlotee will go to to treat the users with respect. In this case by showing the users part of the decision process and to make everyone aware of what is going on. To me this is a huge thing and why the CM is an excellent site.

13. Lock Up Male

Lock Up Male Permanently Collared

Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Right i'm new to this site. but i'm a hardcore Internet person. I would rather see A IRC channel for this site then an chatbox.

IRC gies a more realtime chat system then a chatbox or forum chat can do.
    OK its more of a new thing for peps to master but once you get your head around it its all good. as an IRCer I spend most of my time in IRC these days (well since I've been on the net all those years ago) and there are easy ways to get peps connected. maybe I'm a internet oldly but I like the free ness IRC cant give to the net.

14. Mistress Watchful

Professional Dominatrix
    Basingstoke
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    And that's kind of why I don't like chat, chatboxes, chatrooms, etc... I like people to get out and have a bit of sunshine!

Thank you for your comments though, they are appreciated. I'll bump this for pet and see if he has an opinion.

My concerns will not change over the whole chat thing. pet convinced me to put in a chatroom and we instantly had bitchiness and backstabbing. Then the chatbox went the same way. There is something about chat that brings out the worst in a lot (but not all) people!

15. Chickenshed

Chickenshed Junior Member

Local Time:
    4:35 PM
    oops that beat me to it, I was about to say what is an IRC, but also mention that Chatboxes etc are not a favourite topic around here.

Mistress Watchful, What sunshine??????

16. madamsboy

madamsboy Looking for a special female

Local Time:
    11:35 AM
    I think that chat brings out bitchiness/backstabbing because other people see it as soon as you type it. there is no writing a long reply and then sending it. Plus you can not go back and edit what you wrote once you realize it may be taken the wrong way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice