It Happened

Discussion in 'Journals and blogs' started by Cottus, Dec 3, 2015.

Random Thread
  1. Cottus

Cottus Active member

Student
    Massachusetts
    Local Time:
    10:17 AM
    The real trouble at present has just been abrasion of the skin. That was a bit more painful - 1.50 out of 10.00, really. As for the internal pain which was next to nothing, it didn't come about until after I took the cage off and I have no idea would bring it about. I'm on my second day of "bed rest" and the internal pain has disappeared in any case. I'll probably be back in the cage tomorrow since the abrasion pains are mostly gone. I'll try being more liberal with the lubrication and see how that goes as I save up for a custom Jail Bird.

2. Cottus

Cottus Active member

Student
    Massachusetts
    Local Time:
    Well, I'm back in the saddle. The abrasion on my skin went away and I'm going to make it my business over the next few runs to ensure that everything is lubricated downstairs on a regular basis. I am actually pretty happy to have my HTv2 back on. As I said in many previous posts, it's started to feel like a piece of jewelry, clothing, or whathaveyou that I would really like to continue wearing. However, I did notice something very annoying: rust on my key.

http://i.imgur.com/0vqGgQ1.jpg

I pray that the lock is made entirely of brass.

I had previously experienced this with a set of HTv2 keys, but I chalked it up to my own error because I - ever the germaphobe - was not unlikely to wash my keys if I took them out of the house for any reason, and they lived in my bathroom. With the second set of keys, I decided I would be smart - leave them at home and in my dry drawer where they would be away from humidity. As the picture clearly shows, even that did not save them. I sent an e-mail to Novamédia and, hopefully, they'll fix their damn keys and maybe - just maybe - send me some new ones. They requested pictures (which I supplied) and said the keys should be rust proof, but that's clearly not the case. Also, I ordered directly from them so I know I got the bonafide product (or, at least, I was supposed to).

Good thing I keep up-to-date on my vaccinations.

3. SubVerity

SubVerity Still the mansion's fairy godmother. ;)

London
    Local Time:
    3:17 PM
    If the keys are rusting then it's only because they're in a humid environment. They're not made of a high grade stainless steel, and whatever protective coating they have will be broken in the key cutting process.

I have the same lock and keys on my Looker2 and also find the key can go a little rusty but actually it isn't a problem. Any rust will rub off, and then a quick smear with an oil will be enough to protect it. What oil? I find *Eskimo oil to work well!

*rub your finger on the side of your nose, that's Eskimo oil. ;)

4. Cottus

Cottus Active member

Student
    Massachusetts
    Local Time:
    @SubVerity The fact that my key rusted in my nightstand drawer was an offense to me as a consumer. I don't expect the key to be made of the same stuff doctors use, but rusting in my drawer is pretty lousy. I know full well that it won't kill me. I'm more likely to die in a car accident than from a rusty key, but gimme a break. It also annoys me at a personal level that you have so precisely distinguished. Calling myself a "germaphobe" in my previous post is a hell of an understatement. My keyholder and I were about to have some playtime but the sight of the rust on the keys ended it all for me.

5. SubVerity

London
    Local Time:
    Wow - that's quite an affliction you got there. Life could be easier.

I can promise you that if a customer came to me asking for a new lock and key because this one had rusted, I'd think they were a taking things a bit too far....
    There is something about responsibility in life, and you could to take greater ownership of this cleanliness mania. It's your own life it affects after-all. Non ferrous metals will corrode if not adequately protected from moisture, that's just how it is. Wash the surface oil off and they'll often rust within hours just from the moisture in the air. You wouldnt believe how small a layer of oil will protect that key - just a few microns of a layer is all it takes. Wash it though, and that layer of skin fat is gone. just give it some baby oil or something, rub it off with a tissue, then that key is as protected as it can be.
    Tell you what though - you could make your own key out of something non-metal! Try scanning it and getting a plastic one 3d printed. You could wash that all you liked. Sterilise it even.

*Side story about protecting metals.
    I work in the cycle industry. One small maker I know is a very good engineer. He writes a very fulsome warranty instruction, in which he makes the point that he cares greatly about the metal his bike frames are made from. He insists that before you build your bike, you pour engine oil through the frame tubes to fully protect them from the inside. Not only, that, but he explains that the paint on the outside is protecting the metal, and that the big long sticker on-top of that is protecting the paint, and should you ride without that sticker on, then your warranty is void because he wants you, the new owner of his bike frame, to own some responsibility for protecting his metal frame from rust.

6. Cottus

Cottus Active member

Student
    Massachusetts
    Local Time:
    It's not like I messaged them demanding free stuff. I simply showed that the keys were rusting (which the CSR asked to see) and I asked what was going on. As I said, I left the second set of keys in the drawer and did not subject them to my cleanliness mania (I actually like that term a lot), but they still rusted. As for the first set of keys, I admit that was my fault, but the rusting of the second pair left me really puzzled.

7. Jasmic68

Jasmic68 Long term member

Early retirement
    UK Midlands
    Local Time:
    8:02 PM
    I just thought that someone with an aversion to germs might not want to use Eskimo oil! :eek:

8. SubVerity

London
    Local Time:
    I'm not sure it's actually called that, just that I know Eskimos polish small stone sculptures using the oil from their faces. It's actually quite a nice way of cleaning your face, uses no soap so it isn't drying, and feels soooo smoooth. It helps to use a smooth pebble rather than a bit of rock of course.
    Anyway - @Cottus, I'm not saying that you're wrong to be miffed, I was miffed the first time my keys went rusty, but I had suspended them in a bottle of water and frozen it for a week while Wonderful was away. I had dipped them in wax prior to freezing so it was a disappointing surprise. After that I just wouldn't be surprised (or too alarmed) to see them rust in the middle of the Sahara. :)

[​IMG]

We can go back to your thread now. :)
    My apologies for the lengthy sidetrack.

Jasmic68 likes this.
  9. Cottus

Cottus Active member

Student
    Massachusetts
    Local Time:
    Point taken. After leaving them in the white vinegar for a while, I'll put some baby oil coating on them and hope for the best. The 3D printing idea isn't actually a bad one - or using hard, non-metal materials for keys.

10. Jasmic68

Jasmic68 Long term member

Early retirement
    UK Midlands
    Local Time:
    8:02 PM
    This thread has taught me to take preemptive action regarding my not yet rusty keys.

11. Cottus

Cottus Active member

Student
    Massachusetts
    Local Time:
    At least being a hypochondriac has provided lessons to help others! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice