3D printing device questions.

Discussion in '3D printing files' started by lockedsissy87, Sep 20, 2023.

1. lockedsissy87

lockedsissy87 Active member

Home Page:
    Local Time:
    5:59 AM
    I have been wanting to get a 3D printer for a while now. One thought being that I could print my own devices and have not only a one of a kind but one that I could personally design and work with until I find the perfect fit.

My question is, is it super hard to do? And can I do it with most any 3D printer?

Any help would be great, and would especially love to hear from anyone who has printed their own.

2. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    I haven’t printed a chastity device. But I’ve been 3D printing for years. And I have an engineering background. So..l

First what is your budget?
    Do you know CAD software or are you willing to take the time to learn?
    Are you able to deal with frustration and problems?
    What are your problem solving skills?

I ask these as they will impact if this is for you.

Personally, I usually recommend getting an inexpensive printer to start and see how you like it. That said, DO NOT GET A CHEAP PRINTER. There’s a huge difference. Also don’t get the cheapest printers. In other words find one that’s in your budget but not going to use the full budget nor be at the bottom of it.

If yiu know CAD software great. If not, you won’t be able to design your own cages on a 3D printer until you learn. Given your question, is suspect you don’t so plan on time to learn it as it’s not easy. It’s not terribly hard, but rather something new that will take some time and effort.

Finally, if you do decide to move forward, start with simple prints. Learn to get good consistent prints. From there work on getting more complex prints that are of high quality. Poor print quality results in rough edges and that’s BAD for chastity devices. You want as SMOOTH as possible!

3D printing can open many new ideas, projects and ways of doing things. (I’m currently building a big 3D printed robot project). For instance in my new workshop I’m. Currently printing all sorts of tool drawer organizers, things for my French Cleat wall, and other useful things for making other projects. Once my shop is functional, I’ll use my printers for making parts for other projects. Jigs are also things that can be made as can some tools. So lots of possibilities ans the more you 3D print the more you come up with things to print!

So I’m obviously a fan of 3D printing and think it’s highly addictive. But it’s also frustrating at times and many can’t deal with that. So you have to be honest with yourself, and do some introspection and be honest about your skills and what you like doing as it’s just not press a button and cool stuff come out. It takes work to make that happen. But when a print is done, it’s always cool seeing something made that was a roll of plastic or a liquid hours or days ago.

BlackoutDevices and Slutty Susan like this.
  3. suzy maid

suzy maid Member

England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    10:59 AM
    Hi sissy.

I say go for it.

Like Tom writes, an engineering background would be an advantage as would experience with graphics programs but it is not an expensive hobby so you are not risking much.

My printer is one of the cheapest (£200 when I bought it 2years ago) and works just fine. It is a Creality Ender 3. It is well supported with YouTube How To videos.

Initially you could just print existing objects. You can download these for free from such internet sites as Thingiverse.

Then start generating your own objects using a 3D CAD program. I use Fusion 360. This is free to the hobbyist and is again well supported by YouTube tutorials.

You will need a slicer program to convert the CAD geometry into input for your printer. Another free program Cura will do all you need.

I'm sure folk here would have some designs they would share with you.

tomf_22033 likes this.
  4. tomf_22033

VA USA
    Local Time:
    Thanks. I think too many folks think 3D printers are magic machines or as easy to use as a paper printer. I love that the technology is advancing and they’re getting easier to use. But I really think people need to have realistic expectations. I think with realistic expectations or better no expectations it’s so much better to go in with an open mind and really learn what these machines can do.

As I write this, it makes me think using flexible filament or resin the possibilities of new chastity devices can be opened up. Using multi processes, (3D printing, metal work, etc together) even more possibilities can happen. This is just steps in opening possibilities.

I wonder if OP will reply. It would be interesting if they didn’t like what I posted or if it made them think. Hopefully the later.

All this said, I hope this helps anyone considering getting a 3D printer. For some it’s not a technology they’d enjoy. For others some may use them some. But for those who like making things and are creative they’re a very valuable tool. One I think all creative people and “Makers” should invest in once they figure out what they want and need.

5. Lovelocked

Lovelocked Long term member

Local Time:
    #5 Lovelocked, Sep 26, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    I have found a 3D printer very useful for all sorts of things, kinky and otherwise. At first I had a very expensive 3D printer. It proved over complicated, unreliable and finally failed altogether. I now have an Ender 2. It was cheaper than @suzy maid's Ender 3. It is smaller than an Ender 3 and has a smaller print volume. That's OK for my purposes and it is much easier to move around and hide away when not in use. As far as I know the Ender 3 uses the same sort of technology. Even though they are not expensive, Enders cannot be that bad for basic printing. I saw some being used in a laboratory as part of a medical project in a TV item.

A couple of examples kinky uses on here are nipple clamps are at #12 in this thread: https://www.chastitymansion.com/forums/index.php?threads/nipple-clamps.52119/ and the tube for my full belt is at #3 in this thread: https://www.chastitymansion.com/forums/index.php?threads/getting-into-3d-printing.50264/#post-599010. I find a full belt must fit very well to make it secure against pull out. I made lots of tubes before I got one I was happy with – for the moment at least. I also made some security seals for use with Burg Wachter type locks. They are OK, but I have now realised that you need to glue the wire into the seal before closing it, otherwise you might be able to replace it. See #20 in this thread: https://www.chastitymansion.com/forums/index.php?threads/hollow-internal-locking-pin.45959/

As the others have said, you will soon need to learn how to use 3D design program to modify existing designs and produce your own designs. I suggest you look into that first.

Another point that you may not have realised - 3d prints take a while, e.g. the tube for my full belt about 3 hours, and that was at low quality.

tomf_22033 likes this.
  6. tomf_22033

VA USA
    Local Time:
    So true. When I got my first 3D printer which was an Ender 3 Pro I thought a few hours was a long print and quickly learned it’s actually quite short. Now anything I see less than 8 hours I consider quite short. Anything 8 to 24 I consider a normal print. And long prints are anything over a few days.

Most of my prints right now are in the 8 to 24 hour range. But I had a project that most were a day or two.

Thankfully 3D printer technology is improving and high speed printers are getting less expensive, But I suspect we are still a year or two until they get pretty budget friendly, and I’m not sure they’ll ever get as cheap as Ender 3 series printers due to their higher end parts and complexity.

7. Audrey_CD

Audrey_CD Long term member

Volunteer
    Gloucestershire in the UK
    Local Time:
    "Yes, there are two ways you can get sport out of a bicycle: you can “repair” it, or you can ride it. But it is impossible to get both forms of sport out of the same machine. No machine will stand it!"
    Jerome K Jerome
    I bought the cheapest 3d printer on ebay, a princely £63! A clone of a clone. Surprisingly it did work, just not very fast or reliably and printing was an adventure every time it was used. I set to upgrading it piece by piece and now have something that is faster and more reliable and only contains about 2 parts of the original. All of the plastic parts on the current printer were produced on it ancestors!

I have spent rather more than a than a good printer would have cost, but I did enjoy the sport whilst building it.

Get something half descent to begin with, perhaps a Creality 3 (or clone see above!) though I don't have personal experience of these. I would thoroughly recommend getting one with (or adding) auto bed leveling.

Learning a CAD tool is vital if you want to design your own devices. I use FreeCAD and would recommend following the Mango Jelly YouTube tutorials for this software. This software works mostly, but does have some bugs and idiosyncrasies. Its Free. There are hobby licenses available for Fusion 360, but seems to require a reinstall every 3 months and doesn't run under Linux.

I'm not an engineer, but learnt engineering drawing at school in the days before CAD.

madams-sissysub likes this.
  8. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    thanks for this, very informative.

9. Coffeeandcaged

Coffeeandcaged Active member

Local Time:
    I bought a 3D printer, found a chastity cage file online and scaled it to my liking. At under a dollar per cost to print, I wear them for a week straight and then replace with new. best fitting cage I've ever owned.

Caged4Sazz and Slutty Susan like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice