Alternative Locks for Behind Barz

Discussion in 'Behind Barz' started by jj_new_name, Jul 25, 2023.

1. jj_new_name

jj_new_name New member

Local Time:
    10:36 AM
    The default lock for the Behind Barz is the FJM 2607 keyed alike. Since it's readily available for $8, you can be out of any lockup in about 2 days. I know the BB site offers differently keyed locks, but since they're charging $40 for the $8 lock, I'm assuming the keyed different locks have a similar markup and I don't really want to pay the horny tax.

Has anyone tried any other computer chasis locks?

hardbodysub likes this.
  2. Chaste Nole

Chaste Nole Long term member

Florida
    Local Time:
    hardbodysub likes this.
  3. JessMal

JessMal Active member

Local Time:
    #3 JessMal, Jul 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
    The locks you linked are unfortunately keyed the same as the ones that shipped with my BB belt.

I had considered having a vertical hole bored in the center post so that a cable seal type lock could go in front of the metal thumb wheel, but ultimately decided against it.

I very much like my belt, but I feel like the locks are a shortcoming. While they're reasonably low profile, they do wear out over time. Though they are relatively in expensive to replace.

4. JamesBarz

JamesBarz Member

Milton Keynes
    Local Time:
    3:36 PM
    Just to say, I recently bought a couple of locks from Niche Locks, as my originals were getting a bit worn. And they are not keyed the same as the original BB locks - just FYI.

I do agree though that the locks are a weak link. It would be better if a drilled out and tapped cylinder cam lock could be used on the centre stud instead of the knurled nut. Or even an “old school” padlock shroud and padlock with a pin to locate into the centre stud.

At some point, I’ll design something stronger and better than the computer case locks for my own belt, and make it possible to integrate metal security seals too. There are lots of possibilities with the 3 mounting posts on the standard design - I just need the time to design something

hardbodysub likes this.
  5. halo

halo Junior Member

Local Time:
    So I have always been very interested to understand how the BB locks work and I have heard the design was mass-produced but with the model number mentioned, I now more-clearly see how the 'locking' mechanism works. I wish BB would show this more clearly.

To the OP / subject: it looks like the lock is a 6-32 machine screw, about 0.6" long? If this is the case, as it appears, then almost any removable 'security screw' could be substituted, of which some are of considerable resistance to tampering.

The company Screwd (https://screwdsecurity.com/) markets a semi-bespoke version of the very secury Bryce screws. Unfortunately these only go down to 8-32. The Bryce screws go much smaller, including 6-32 in multiple lengths. However the minimum purchase is substantial.

Tanner Bolt (https://www.tannerbolt.com/security-products/security-screws/security-lock-out-screws) sells a Lock-Out proprietary screw head product but it too also goes down to only 1/4" diameter.

The Trident head screw *does* come in 6-32 and is affordable: https://www.tannerbolt.com/6c62mtrz...-case-hard-steel-zinc-plated?categoryId=53696 While probably more effective than the computer case lock, a Trident driver is not expensive or that hard to get. There are several torx-like pin-in-center variations from other companies, each with the weakness they are mass produced.

Another ultra-premium fastner is the Key-Rex, very secure but large order required. https://www.mudgefasteners.com/keyrex-security-screws

There is TriCone, similar to what BAR does in their screw, but more intense. https://www.fastenright.com/security-fasteners/tricone-security-bolt/tc01 But min. quantity issue again.

However, if one was to put a bolt through, there are numerous options for secure 'nuts' that are good for high torque and much more secure. A start are wheel locks. The automotive studs are too big diameter but they make these locks for bycycle wheels as well. Pinhead and Pitlock are both sold with semi-unique keys. With a low-enough profile, 'grabber' sockets won't work well.

Also, before someone says it, I know all security is relative and the majority of people have easily defeated locks and don't care. Or use numbered tags and seals. But just like how ropes aren't handcuffs, and how some handcuff people are not satisified with 'regular key' handcuffs, I can see how a belt that does so much else right in terms of security would be a let-down in this department.

I have heard nothing but excellent reviews in terms of the security of the BB system, particularly when used with a rear rod/cable. For me it would be a no-brainer buy if there was another option for locks.

boisub, JamesBarz and hardbodysub like this.
  6. JamesBarz

JamesBarz Member

Milton Keynes
    Local Time:
    IMG_6413.jpeg

First upgrade. An 8mm security nut. Ok, it’s not going to stop removal, but with the socket locked away, it’s certainly going to slow down attempts at removal and make manual removal without a tool impossible…

7. JessMal

JessMal Active member

Local Time:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice