Would You Pay A Subscription For CM

Discussion in 'Site announcements and information' started by lockit, Nov 23, 2017.

1. steviepie

steviepie inferior and unworthy male

Manager
    the States
    Local Time:
    2:26 PM
    we would have to initiate a verification process........

2. steviepie

steviepie inferior and unworthy male

Manager
    the States
    Local Time:
    very interesting idea but if I had a vote I'd say woman should be free........

3. ChainedKeys

ChainedKeys New member

The Hague - NL
    Local Time:
    7:26 PM
    I am seeing so many suggestions on who should be paying and who shouldn't, which really makes me wonder if it's already agreed upon that MC will have a paid member section or mandatory fees for selected users. Maybe I'm the only one but I don't know what the costs are of keeping MC running. Maybe the costs can be covered with donations for additional parks but mainly for the reason to support MC.

4. thundar

thundar Member

Professional
    East Coast
    Local Time:
    Reasonable flat fee per member. Done deal

corsac likes this.
  5. danleft1

danleft1 Long term member

South East USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    The whole discussion started over in the Please Help thread ... https://www.chastitymansion.com/forums/index.php?threads/please-help.24293/ ... and in my opinion it is really a discussion about "what is the answer to NOT having a person with Admin access to handle issues that only a person with Admin access can resolve" ... so to me implementing a tiny annual fee to then hire a Web Admin is the answer ... side benefit would be money to also afford fast server with more bandwidth.

6. Joroincharge

Joroincharge Lock em up - 24/7/365!!

England
    Local Time:
    6:26 PM
    No. It would ruin the site. I don't submit to pay sites of any sort nor even buy anything online - even vanilla - for any reason.

7. jemima

jemima maid for my Mistress

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    no i aint as well. :(

8. Guest 3729

Guest 3729 Long term member

Local Time:
    12:26 PM
    I love coming here and would pay a small fee to join but as someone already mentioned i imagine people just getting into the lifestyle probably would want to pay. I think the idea of a read only available to everyone and then if you want to participate and make posts then you'd need a membership is a good idea. It would certainly cut down on the number of people that join just to vomit out a fantasy in the foyer and then never return lol.

danleft1 likes this.
  9. L-u-c-y

Staff Member Owner of Chastity Mansion Administrator Verified Female

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    I'd pay for yours :)

corsac, danleft1 and jemima like this.
  10. jemima

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    oooooh :)

11. danleft1

South East USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
  12. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    I've already messaged him and suggested a "swap".

danleft1 likes this.
  13. SubSnuggler

SubSnuggler Owned by Mistress2and4you

USA
    Local Time:
    1:26 PM
    Paying for 'sex sites' is already a bit radioactive and I'm not sure this site is big enough to transition to a subscriber model. Giving special nicks or name treatment for donors might work. Also many of the submissives don't have their own money :-(

14. tcpsynack

tcpsynack Member

Local Time:
    I'm glad to see this thread initiated by members of the community. A pay site will not work...everyone knows why so let's simply table that and not discuss it again.

Donations yes.

Ads... maybe... How many of you have visited a website on a mobile device then get redirected to a site saying your iPhone (or insert device name) has been hacked and here's what you should do about it....? Your advertising broker/partner controls displayed content so malicious ads sometimes work their way in to legitimate services. Given the nature of this site I suspect it is likely we would see quite a bit of that. Even if you had a paid membership to remove ads I personally use private browsing so I am not logged in unless I deliberately do so to post... so given my browsing habits, even if I paid, I would still see ads.

Affiliate sales could also work out. I know mature metal actively providers technical support for their devices on this forum. If we could get a small kickback or flat monthly payments that could contribute. I haven't looked at other manufacturers in the mall so I don't know how many other vendors use this forum. I would solicit these donations on a voluntary basis... "Our costs are X per month. Would you be willing to donate $10, $20, etc/month to help keep this site online?" -- I'm positive due to feedback on this forum and other internet community resources it has contributed to their sales and re-purchase of better-measured, properly fitting devices. I would hope we could garner support from manufacturers.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: the site is behind on updates. It is only a matter of time before the site is hacked and taken offline. Once the site is offline then members would be willing to contribute to bring it back online, but, we will not have a medium to collaborate (contact members) as the site is down. Someone will have to pony up cash for a fix or abandon the site and let it die.

There is another forum on this topic that was hacked some time back and it's _still_ not fixed. Their administration repaired it enough to be quasi-operational but the user base and activity has died. There's even a thread on the site regarding the same...

I involved myself with administrator of the site in July to fix the page load times... we're still talking about the same problems months later.

Here is what I think: Let's assume operational costs are $200/month out of the gate. Someone, and I don't care who, needs to run a $600 fundraising campaign. Once Jens has those funds we can purchase a second server and I will upgrade the site. Once everything is updated enhancements will be much easier to introduce. It is difficult maintaining out of date software. I have a quote of $179/month for the staging server I would use to upgrade. Once we get everything up to date and fixed I could probably scale that back to a lower-end package. We will see. That will give us 3 months to figure out a sustainable funding solution and upgrade the site.

I really want to get these page load times fixed but I do not want to change anything on the server as it stands. It was installed some time ago, the hosting provider was bought out and migrated the VMs thus breaking the site around July, etc etc. It's a delicate situation. I want this set up properly from the ground up then migrate data.

I do not want any part of moderating the site, finances or domain-name ownership etc. Administration...sure.

So figure out who is going to run this campaign or someone just grab this and run... say i'm doing it and start. Once a donation site is set up someone should confirm with Jens that he is in fact recipient of the funds. I don't want this endeavor empowering someone to collect donations from the community and take off with the funds.

We have a goal and we know how to reach it... someone make it happen!

15. danleft1

South East USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Well ... I already have a VPS that is more an email server then anything ... so its bandwidth / cores / memory are very low, but at any time I can upgrade that whether that is to better VPS or Managed Dedicated Server ... I have offered to host the domain ... I have offered to buy an ad (not a ridiculous pop up that makes you want to leave the site) that is statically placed on the website (for example in the footer or in a side bar) ... and it has really on the whole gone unanswered.

So, while your statement holds great truth, the issue is that the Jens is not answering / participating ... https://www.chastitymansion.com/forums/index.php?threads/please-help.24293/ ...

The simple answer is to just start another Chastity forum ChastityMansion2.com ... but that only works if the first site goes dark and stays dark ...

16. jemima

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    well why don't the Admin man come in and say something then

danleft1 likes this.
  17. tcpsynack

tcpsynack Member

Local Time:
    This is how we don't get anywhere.

danleft1 -- I have access to the CM hosting accounts, shell access to server, etc. Jens also forwards me email alerts from the hosting provider and has responded to all of my emails... I contact him outside of the forum.

jemima -- That has been the plan for 6+ months? He is clearly busy....

So lets keep doing what we're doing (read: nothing) or fund a budget to move forward. Administrator will see the community wants to improve the site so maybe he will turn the site over to another user, or maybe he might actually spend time on the site if he isn't inundated with "hey fix this" requests every time he comes online. Or maybe nothing else changes other than the site is updated, secure and remains online for us to continue this discussion.

Mark my words.... systems on autopilot eventually crash.

18. danleft1

South East USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Well I have also tried contact outside the forum ... specifically emailing through another domain he holds interest in (using the CM related email as registered) ... and have not got a reply ... I have asked others if they are getting any replies ... Jens has NOT replied here or to the email.

So not to be a jerk, but ... really you are suggesting some sort of hostile take over ... OR ... that the community throw money at a problem that is all about "why are you not responding"

So the moment Jens reaches out to me and states his intentions, I will gladly ... Buy an ad ... offer space on my server to host the forum ... buy Chastity Mansion from him.

BUT ... I will NOT be part of a hostile take over or blindly throw money at something in hopes it will change.

To be clear I'm in NO WAY upset with Jens ... It is his site and he is 150% allowed to do with it as he pleases even if that includes doing nothing. I'm purely trying to reach out to him because it would be a shame for the site to go dark, I enjoy it as do many others.

19. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    If the site ever does go down temporarily, there is a Chastity Mansion fetlife group for announcements and where discussions can be carried on.

https://fetlife.com/groups/126990

You have to be a member of fetlife to view it. (which is free)

danleft1 likes this.
  20. paulie slave

paulie slave Locked house husband

House Husband
    Scotland
    Local Time:
    Is the site at least backed up?

21. tcpsynack

tcpsynack Member

Local Time:
    I have reached out to Jens re: this thread and requested him to comment

>> Hostile takeover?
    No.

>> throw money at a problem that is all about "why are you not responding"
    No.

Let's line up some facts:
    1) The site is not up to date.
    2) The hosting solution is underpowered or misconfigured, or likely both.
    3) Jens would like fundraising to offset the cost he incurs personally for keeping the site online. He and I had this discussion in email...
    4) Ceteris paribus security issues will arise without maintenance.
    5) Jens and myself are not fond of what LiquidWeb did and want to change providers.

danleft1: I want nothing to do with your mail server, taking over the site, moderating the site or dealing with fundraising. I enjoy the community and I am willing to donate my time to keep it operational. Jens and myself already discussed how we would upgrade the site and it involves a $179/mo server out of the gate. He offered to pay for it but I pushed back to LiquidWeb to give us the server free for a week or two so we could fix the problems that came about from their VM migration and they agreed. Unfortunately they never honored that agreement and never provided us the resource. Jens did offer to pay for it but I never pursued it as I did not think that was fair... and here we are today. Get the funding for that missing piece and let's move forward.

I rather enjoy working with Jens. He is very direct, matter of fact and answered all of my questions point-by-point so I could fix the performance issue we had a few months back. If only all of my business dealings could be so clean... that would be a nice life.

22. danleft1

South East USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I'm sorry but you are confusing ... You say that Jens was willing to just pay and upgrade ... but you thought that was not "fair" to him ... but now you say "CM users we need money to upgrade" / "So lets keep doing what we're doing (read: nothing) or fund a budget to move forward" ...

I've been straight forward from the beginning with Jens (even while he was finalizing the purchase / transfer of CM) that I would GLADLY buy ad space and was interested in helping ... I also believe that when ever Jens (or any of the owners) have come forward and asked for donations that a portion of us do in fact send money.

I would have to say that while your intentions are great and we greatly appreciate your time and efforts, the reason all of this started in the first place is the community is asking that the Admin (owner) openly make a statement to the community ... that statement can be anything from We Need Money / I'm done / I need help while I take a break / Its for sale / I have a new KH and she has the keys to CM / really anything ... and that statement does NOT have to be an open conversation / thread

So I will state this ... list your believed requirements for a server for CM, I will then ensure my server is greater then those requirements, most be Linux (currently have 4 active domains on it) ... I will then create you a utility domain to work in and you can do your work on the website ... once it is completed Jens can choose to say on the server or move everything to where ever he chooses ... Of course Jens needs to contact me directly before I move forward

23. Mistress Jules

Mistress Jules Professional Dominatrix and Owner of Lockit
    Staff Member Administrator Verified Female

Company Director and Professional Dominatrix
    Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I think it’s fair to say that this thread has shown that the members of this forum are enthusiastic about being here and about helping it to continue.

It is heartening to see so many offering expertise and support to the common purpose of keeping the site viable. There are many who have offered to help with costs or if necessary purchase the site so Jens certainly has a variety of options available to him.

I am sure Jens will be thankful for the support and hopefully he will be able to let us know how best to help things go forward very soon.

L-u-c-y likes this.
  24. tcpsynack

tcpsynack Member

Local Time:
    Mistress jules is correct.

danleft1 -- I understand the confusion now. I don't care who owns the site I just pitch in to help... you want to take the site over. The confusion is you not getting what you want -- a clear answer on leadership and the future from the admin. That's between you and admin... I will say what you are proposing sounds like a bad idea and I want nothing to do with it.

25. lockit

lockit Advanced Member

London
    Local Time:
    I started the thread on paying subscription to see if I could get some postive feedback.
    I do not think a membership fee would work it was tried a few years ago.
    A pay site did not work then and it won't work now.

The reason I started this thread, I was sick of unfair criticism of the owner.
    There have been posts telling him how he should run the site.
    there has been a call or him to give up the site I quote

"Jens, for goodness sake, give up your selfish stranglehold on OUR website the site and hand it to someone who has time and energy to invest in it."

I do not know why he has not been on the site I do know he still pays the bills and the site is still running.
    What I have tried to do is get more positivity, more ideas to help rather than criticise.
    From all the posts telling him how to run the site and give it to someone else not one mentioned who or how it would be paid for.
    I am happy now the thread seems to have taken a more constructive direction.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice