Why are all these plastic or resin cages so expensive?

Discussion in 'Chastity device reviews' started by lockedsissy87, Apr 23, 2020.

1. lockedsissy87

lockedsissy87 Active member

Home Page:
    Local Time:
    6:04 AM
    Just curious if anyone knows why all these resin or plastic devices are so expensive? Like the CB-6000 line and the Holy Trainer line.

Its not like there are not plenty of other places to get devices, so they have the market cornered, and yet every maker, their plastic or resin cages are hugely over priced.

2. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit I'm her bunny

USA
    Local Time:
    No they are not overpriced.

You’re comparing quality controlled manufacturers to a low quality chinese knockoff that might be simply unwearable.

There is a used market.

Sissy-Jessy and Tom Allen like this.
  3. Mrloched

Mrloched Long term member

West yorkshire
    Local Time:
    10:04 AM
    You are right about the quality control. On plastic devices though, i suspect the manufacture vs retail cost is outrageous.

4. locked_top

locked_top Caged tiger

USA
    Local Time:
    5:04 AM
    Why do you think that?

5. durango_o

Belguim
    Local Time:
    And its like that with a lot of things.
    The manufacturing is one cost.
    Distribution, quality control, publicity...

6. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    It cost tens of thousands of dollars to design and build the dies and molds for production plastic components. Even with inexpensive 3D modeling software, the designs need to be reviewed by experts in the plastic shop for potential issues, then the molds have to be sent to a shop to be machined and polished. The CBX or HT people could easily invest $25,000 to $50,000 in the process.

If they want to save money there are foreign shops (mostly China) who will give them a discount on the tooling. However with no fear of copyright law, they might produce, say, 5,000 units for the buyer, and the next week run off another 5,000 from leftover material for their cousin to sell in his web store for a fraction, since all they are paying for at that point is material.

Or they'll buy a few brand name devices, and use those to reverse engineer some cheap molds, undercutting the price by quite a lot.

7. Billy J

Billy J Long term member

East Coast, USA
    Local Time:
    You're correct about quality. My first and current cage is a resin Groupon buy. The rings would pinch because of sharp mold seams. I had to sand down smooth. Also had to sand a ridge down inside of the sheath that was cutting into the base of my shaft. My Wife/KH doesn't like me rubbing on Her because the sharp edges of the holes irritates Her. I had to address that too.
    After all that work I have to say it has been very comfortable.
    As an introduction piece to chastity it was fine but I have admired some members pieces and will likely upgrade in the future.

Peter Rabbit likes this.
  8. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I will add that I have bought several, and currently wear a Chinese stainless steel device. However, it is *not* a knock-off of anything currently on the market, and is surprisingly well made.

Buying HT and CBX knock-offs, IMO, is a slap in the face to the companies that took the time and money to develop the devices in the first place.

9. Peter Rabbit

USA
    Local Time:
    I appreciate your informed and nuanced point of view, Tom.

Tom Allen likes this.
  10. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    I think its more about supply and demand, If you have a quality product people want yuo can charge more for it. Though I can't help wondering if some of the more expensive ones were to have their prices reduced they might make increased profits through selling more.

Tom Allen likes this.
  11. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    And here's another point: Expensive does not mean over-priced. Yes, the CB6000 from the manufacturer is more expensive than the Chinese knock off. That's because the Chinese have no development or marketing costs. They are either using the same molds, or they bought a few devices, and then used those dimensions to make their own molds, using much cheaper labor.

I've wondered about this, myself. It appears, though, that they have come down over the years. The CB3000 I bought 20 years ago cost $169, IIRC. Now they are $99. Presumably they are not making to order, so they need to pay to have a company set the machine up and run off a minimum number, most of which will sit in stock for a while, until the product runs low, after which they need to re-order from whoever has the molds.

It might cost $500 to $1,000 just to set up the machine, plus it costs something for the raw material. The cages are 2 pieces, and need to be assembled. Then they need to be "kitted" or packaged together with the rings, spacers, etc. And all that needs to go into a nice looking box, which do not pack themselves. I'm sure they don't do enough volume to make it worth automating the entire process, so you have to hire people to do quality control, packaging, and make sure the cases of product get to the appropriate distributors. And all the distributors and resellers need to take their own percentage cut.

It's easy to pick up a few ounces of plastic and say "Oh, there's nothing here. Why does it cost so much?"

12. DonnaSue

DonnaSue Long term member

Retired
    Southeast US
    Local Time:
    5:04 AM
    #12 DonnaSue, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    I have worn a CB6000s for many years and it finally cracked a few months ago. The replacement, that I found on ebay for under $20 appears to be better made than the one I wore for 4 years. I'd reccomend taking a look there.

13. Sissy-Jessy

Sissy-Jessy Active member

Quebec
    Local Time:
    My point of view about that:
    Chinese replicas are nice when you want to test different models or options. Usually they send all the ring size bundled.
    You can wear it for a couple of days, test different sizings and get a pretty good idea of the feeling.
    Once you've made your choice, if you're looking for a 24/7 long term cage, guenine model worth the money you will invest. Quality and comfort are much better.

14. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    But @Sissy-Jessy, you're still by-passing the companies that put thousands of dollars into the development, only to go on to some metal device in which they have no stake. Seriously, nobody is going to buy a $20 CBX or HT clone, then spend $120 on the real thing to wear long term.

amvetsb and Billus like this.
  15. lockedsissy87

lockedsissy87 Active member

Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Thanks for everyones reply.

I was just curious, as to why they cost so much, since they seem to be made of such cheap materials.

I am unable to wear a ball trap device anyway, so I will not be buying any of them.

I am going to have to spring for a tube only style cage that locks via my piercing.

16. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    They are ideal for trying out. I have long held this view of the chinese products.
    Although we are both quite happy with the one I have been wearing for quite a while now. We hhave no intention of changing it until we can afford the Lori we want.

17. BigCockTinyCage

BigCockTinyCage "It looks so little!"

Doc
    New Hampshire
    Local Time:
    I know we keep talking about “cheap Chinese knockoffs”, but I have luxury cages that aren’t as wearable as a $19 Fei Gu microcage

amvetsb likes this.
  18. Jabber43

Jabber43 Just Another Member

Local Time:
    It is a long time since I posted here. But I have tried hundreds (literally) of cheap chinese chastity devices, so I would like to contribute what I have learned.
    The quality of cheap chinese chastity devices have a lot of variation, from completely unusable to very good and secure. When you purchase you can never be sure of the quality delivered, but due to the low price it is IMHO worth trying.
    In particular with metal ball-trap devices I have seen a lot of innovative (ie. not knock-offs) designs of high quality. My favourite device is one of these.
    There are also a lot of devices infringing on existing designs. Here the quality also varies a lot.

I would like to share a few examples of some knock-offs of the CB-6000, and how I rate them:
    The first one is this one. It is basically the CB-6000 design made of silicone. It is really easy to pull out from, due to it being made in silicone. But because of the very low cost it is actually something I recommend to people considering trying out chastity for the first time. If they like it, I recommend the real CB-6000 or CB-6000s as the next device.
    The second one is made in hard plastic, and I cannot recommend this one. The quality of the device is simply too low. But if you need extra spacers or pins for your real CB-6000, you might consider buying one of these just for that.
    The third and final example is a steel version of the CB-6000. I could not quickly find a link to this device online, but I own one. It is basically a CB-6000, but with all the parts done in steel instead of plastic. It is just as comfortable to wear as the real CB-6000, but more secure and a bit heavier.

19. Peter Rabbit

USA
    Local Time:
    cool story bro :+1:

20. amvetsb

amvetsb Long term member

Network Infrastructure Engineer
    USA - Mid-Atlantic
    Local Time:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082SQRQ9X/
    There was a seller on there recently that had a similar one for $9
    The inside of most of these as I have had 2, are poorly chromed and not really wearable... BUT!!!! The experience of wearing one is amazing to 'try'.
    As it has been said, the cheap KOs or even the innovative chinese creations are excellent for 'trying it out'. I have 2 metal cages that I'd call them more replicas than knockoffs that the quality is nearly the same as the original and at 1/20 the cost, worth trying if nothing else, and one may be lucky and wind up with a $9 device that they can actually wear long-term and be safe and secure in....
    My first chastity cage purchase was an authentic CB6kS and it split down the seam... bought a KO and it was almost identical as far as the tube and pins parts, but the rings were unusable. I simply used the original authentic rings and that suited me fine.
    Also as others mentioned... a lot of these cheap versions are great for spare parts for the authentic ones....
    Anyway, the 'original' models, they typically have engineered a product, spent money on patents and such and generally are made better. The high cost shouldn't always be as high as it is, but in most cases, it's worth it, you do get what you pay for....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice