TV licence

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by L-u-c-y, Dec 26, 2020.

1. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    9:49 AM
    I do have lots of objections to the BBC
    the way they ask for money and waste it
    that they over pay news presenters that keep giving us their personal opinions
    they when they have nothing new to report they speculate
    that they seem in awe of the 'elite' yet favour the left
    that they provide obscure services often for tiny interest groups they they could charge the users for directly

but there are a few programmes I do watch and I do sometimes use radio 4 extra
    so for £3 a week they are not that overpriced that I would go to the hassle of refusing to pay
    because if they choose to they can enter your home without warning take all your computers & phones etc on the pretence of checking you have not watched live TV...any channel not even theirs..
    then take weeks to return them having been through your hard drives and internet history as far back as they want.

if you do want to give up your licence you might find this informative

https://www.debtadvisorycentre.co.uk/blog/how-to-watch-tv-without-a-tv-license-0-4259-0

whatever you choices be sure you have first become 'informed'

2. Kate Medova

Kate Medova (not really)

Professional / Semi-retired
    Local Time:
    I believe they can only enter your home with your permission. Although if you refuse they may be able to obtain a warrant. Not sure of the right for them to remove your property but it doesn't sound right. Where does that information come from?

With regard to the cost - it needs to compete in the world as it is now. Not 50 years ago. But I simply don't watch it at all so do not see any reason to pay.

Guest 3972 and tvalex like this.
  3. L-u-c-y

Staff Member Owner of Chastity Mansion Administrator Verified Female

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    I've been looking into it, they can only enter your home if you invite them (like a vampire), or if they have a warrant and are accompanied by the police. They can only get a warrant if they have seen you watching tv through your window.

steviepie and tvalex like this.
  4. Kate Medova

Kate Medova (not really)

Professional / Semi-retired
    Local Time:
    On the one occasion they did visit me I did invite them in. After a few questions they declined to do so but before leaving requested I make the declaration online that I don't need a license.

I didn't...

5. lockedUp24byKH

lockedUp24byKH Yes Dear...Right away.

Ireland
    Local Time:
    In Ireland a TV licence will at some point be made to a Media license.
    This means if you have a radio, TV or a smart media device larger than 7 inches you will have to have a license.
    RTÉ is our main radio & TV broadcasting network that cannot compete with Netflix and equivalent services.

Smells like a desperate money grab.

tvalex likes this.
  6. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    I am reminded of an incident during the miners strike I was told about by some miners

In Bolsover as part of the harass the miners in all ways possible the BBC went into areas with high miner populations they went in with their TV Detector Vans and striking miners were being questioned and then prosecuted for not having TV licences .

The miners not being one for taking things lying down. Overturned one of these Detector Vans .. the sophisticated tracking and detecting equipment inside was revealed to be
    filing cabinets..

they can not tell you who is watching what and when
    What they can do is state whether or not you had a licence at the same time as you had equipment in your home that could be used to receive a TV transmission.

But in order to determine that ... they will take away anything electronic in your home that they consider might be used to receive live TV. Computers, laptops, tablets, Kindles, Kobos mobile phones etc How soon they would be returned to you is really a very up in air the question.

7. JaySaysYes

JaySaysYes I identify as someone that is always right

Local Time:
    I quit TV around 15 years ago.

Every two years I have to declare to the TV licencing people that I stil don't need a TV licence (via their web site). 2 years comes around a lot quicker than one thinks!

I had someone come to the door once, ask to see my TV. I said I don't have a TV and I don't watch TV shows as it's just garbage for the mind. They huffed and puffed for a moment but I said I was busy and closed the door.

Guest 3972 likes this.
  8. Suewiang

Suewiang Long term member

Maid
    England
    Local Time:

They cannot take anything away and they cannot look at a computer laptop iPad iPhone or any other device bar a TV and set top boxes etc like sky ones etc as simple as it is they can only look at a receiver and simple fact is computers and phones etc are not receivers.
    they need a warrant that needs the police to come with them to enter your home forcibly and rarely get a warrant, also they conduct the search themselves not the police the police only stand to make sure you don’t block access.
    If you get such a visit film them fully as they will hate it and will spend more time telling you not to than searching and been it’s your house you can film all you like as long as don’t obstruct them.
    Also in the search it must be simply related only to items plugged in that could work if turned on though that still dosent prove you watch it unless it is on when they come in.
    Searching dosent allow them to go through places that don’t relate to a tv receiver so if they decide to rifle through your panties draw then it is not allowed.

tvalex likes this.
  9. L-u-c-y

Staff Member Owner of Chastity Mansion Administrator Verified Female

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    I cut the plugs off of the aerial cables. They would have a difficult job trying to prove I watched anything : )

Guest 3972 and Guest 2271 like this.
  10. Suewiang

Suewiang Long term member

Maid
    England
    Local Time:
    there is a lot of scare tactics and fallacy behind the tv license inspectors and there power and what they can do and it is very very limited even with a warrant as the warrant is very specific that they can only check receivers nothing more. And reality is if you are watching nothing when they enter then there nothing they can do anyway as simple as it is they must catch you with it on.
    Like with most things it’s how they go about it that scares sone people into admitting and doing silly things that they have no need to do

11. Guest 2271

Guest 2271 Active member

Local Time:
    3:49 AM
    I am from the US and never heard of a tv license. Sonif you receive over the air tv you have to pay a license fee. Makes no sense

12. tvalex

tvalex Long term member

Southern England
    Local Time:
    You only need a licence if you watch live t.v. Or watch BBC iPlayer, anything else it's not required.
    You don't have to let them in to your house, though they make out you do. I'm waiting for them to turn up at mine. Will simply be saying, I don't need a t.v. Licence, I have signed the declaration, good bye.

13. mr_newbie

mr_newbie Long term member

Professional nerd
    Swansea, South Wales
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
  14. bondinchas

bondinchas Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    Take the ariel down from the roof if you have one... The only use for it is to receive live TV, so without it, there's one less reason for them to hassle you.

15. tvalex

tvalex Long term member

Southern England
    Local Time:
    That used to be the case years ago. But now there are so many different ways to watch live tv without an ariel, it's not going to convince them.

bondinchas likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice