1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The state of play on the Mansion.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mistress B, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Mistress B

Mistress B Mistress B
    Staff Member Moderator

Business Owner
    United Kingdom
    There have been several requests from members for this and that and both myself and the other moderators do our best to help with them. Unfortunately, some of these requests can only be done by Admin and it has been several weeks since he has been on the site. I can only apologise for the delay.

sissybitch, manintyres, jim48 and 2 others like this.
  2. Mistress Jules

Mistress Jules Professional Dominatrix and Owner of Lockit
    Staff Member Moderator

Company Director and Professional Dominatrix
    Scotland
    Home Page:
  3. I don't know who the new owner of the site is so this isn't a personal attack.

That said, unless someone is on an extended vacation, or having a medical emergency it's very irresponsible to not come online or be available for such a long time.

It's also wrong for there not be a backup that can have access to all functionality.

So I hope that whoever it is that when they're back they correct this oversight. They need to have it so that If something were to happen to them that someone trustworthy could keep the site running and do any task necessary.

If I'm not mistaken the previous owner made a similar mistake and there was a period where she wasn't available due to an emergency.

I know it's scary for a site owner to do such a thing, but when a site becomes as large and as popular as this it needs to have proper management and such things need to be adddressed.

Again this isn't an attack against anyone but rather a criticism of what I see as something that needs to be addressed for the proper welfare of the site.

filltee and Mark Owen like this.
  4. Does seem odd.

5. Me thinks the phrase you are looking for is ...'constructive criticism' which if offered properly is usually a good thing.
    Whilst I too am greatful to our sites present owner I do echo some of the well meaning comments on this thread.

I venture to suggest that allowing moderators the authority to do more on the site would also hopefully reduce the owners work load generally.

tomf_22033 likes this.
  6. Mistress B

Mistress B Mistress B
    Staff Member Moderator

Business Owner
    United Kingdom
    I don't think Admin has a work load here as he doesn't log on. He pays the fees though. :) and for that, we should be grateful.

Serafina's pet and tomf_22033 like this.
  7. [
    That's great but he really needs to either spend more time here, or get a backup or two to help him with site admin tasks.

In fact he really needs someone he can trust to be a backup. And it shouldn't even be a thought. It should just be done. Heaven forbid something happen to him and the site would die or be at risk like what happened before.

Mistress B likes this.
  8. Mistress B

Mistress B Mistress B
    Staff Member Moderator

Business Owner
    United Kingdom
    I'm sure things will be sorted out, eventually.

9. Too many cooks spoil the soup which there is only one chef and a few sous chefs who are limited in what they can do. As a system administrator for the last 40 years or so, as part of my job, it never worked well when there was more than one admin. Different visions and constant communication so that no one works at cross purpose or does something in a way that the head admin does not like. Never worked out. I even control my subcontractors and do not permit them to make any changes without my approval.

I grew up pre-internet so when sites became available I was just happy to have someplace to surf to. I have designed and ran a few commercial websites and while I had no problem with suggestions, I did have a problem with those who felt entitled to have my website work the way they wanted it to. Good opinions are always welcome but those that come across as entitlement, are not welcome. I am not talking about here, just in general from what I have seen since the beginning of the internet until now.

In general the change has been in an attitude of being grateful for whatever we got for free to feeling that just being free is not good enough. I gave up running public websites and forums. A lot of work and money with complaints being received almost daily. I was spending 2-3 hours of my time on my public websites each night and got little thanks compared to people who got mad that it did not have a feature that they wanted. Of course, good ideas were always welcome, but most suggestions game from a place of ungratefulness, so I shut them all down and erased them and the backups so I would not be tempted to open them again. Now I can complain about other people's web sites. :)

I think this particular website is pretty good as far as people being grateful and all the suggestions I have seen so far are good suggestions. However, I would not take the administrator to task for not spending enough time on a website he/she pays for out of his/hers own pocket and we are free to leave. :) Asking is good, criticizing is bad.

SubVerity likes this.
  10. Vinny, I've managed admins for decades and I'm always fighting with them about access issues.
    I agree with moats of what you said but I'm a strong proponent in backups and good communication. People die, get sick, take vacations etc.

So yes there should be one person in charge, but they need to have people who can step in when the need arises. Aka an assistant head chef.