The 'Labor of Dominance'

Discussion in 'Chastity and orgasm denial' started by SmartandObedient, Apr 21, 2018.

?

Whose time is more valuable?

1. Dominant Woman

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. Dominant Male

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. submissive woman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. submissive male

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. They are all equally valuable

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
Random Thread
  1. SmartandObedient

Law student
    Local Time:
    11:05 PM
    The phrase 'labor of love' is quite familiar.

However, I'd like to discuss the 'labor of dominance'.

But, not before stating my disclaimer...

*Disclaimer*
    The following reflection is my personal reflection, and does not purport to explain reality or hold to a general position. These are just my own personal thoughts derived from my own personal experiences. :)

Now that we've got that out of the way...

I've heard time and time again phrases like:

"It takes so much energy to be a dominant."

"Dominating takes up so much time."

"What will I get out of dominating you?"

To the Dominant Woman: I get it, and I have to say that I agree as well. But, putting the disparity and unequal nature of D/s aside for a while...isn't it the same for a submissive?

Let me qualify that...

Isn't it the same for a 'true submissive' (leaving aside the fact that there are pretty crappy Dominants out there as well)?
    A submissive whose main motivation is to please the Dominant?
    A submissive whose desire to be submissive matches the desire of the Dominant to be dominant?
    A submissive who is also busy with a hectic academic life or career?

At the end of the day, a Dominant's desire to dominate is equivalent to a submissive's desire to submit...

Or is it?

And here's a nuanced question that might come back to bite me hard in the ass after this post:

Whose time is 'more valuable' out of the following?:

1) A Dominant Woman
    2) A Dominant Male
    3) A submissive woman
    4) A submissive male

Please excuse me for over-simplifying the gender spectrum here, but...

I get the feeling that there's this expectation that a Dominant Woman tends to bend over backwards and move mountains in order to be dominant, while it's so easy-peasy for a submissive male to submit.

Can the same thing be easily said about a Dominant Man and a submissive woman?

After all, I rarely see male Fin-Doms (as opposed to the slew of female Fin-Dommes).

Have I gone of my rocker?
    Are my questions and observations heresy?

*Crossing my fingers*

:pray: :+1: :pray:

2. L-u-c-y

Staff Member Owner of Chastity Mansion Administrator Verified Female

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    9:05 PM
    A woman can be dominant without needing a sub. All she has to do is be confident in her every day life and know what she wants, and not take any crap from males.

A lot of people say you can only be dominant if you have a sub, an opposite, but that is rubbish.

I don't put any effort into being dominant, that is how I am, but to communicate with online subs takes effort.

The thing is, the subs need it more than I do. I can go the rest of my life without having any subs and I'll be perfectly happy.

Subs are obsessed with being subs.

3. SmartandObedient

Law student
    Local Time:
    Is that really an accurate generalization?

What if there are submissive men out there who, like you, submit in their every-day lives by simply being gentlemen and deferring to women in a non-sexual context?

4. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    Those ones don't join fetish sites.

Slave to a Goddess likes this.
  5. Living Curious

Living Curious Long-term lockee

Restoration and Reconstruction
    Colorado
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    2:05 PM
    You are probably right, it does seem like subs are obsessed with being subs. I think it's probably due to struggling with identity and trying to come to terms with being honest with themselves, more than being self-centered.
    Or maybe I'm just an idealist.

Rectrix likes this.
  6. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    Most subs are dominant bottoms who want to train their wives to act dominant for the subs sexual fun.

7. SmartandObedient

Law student
    Local Time:
    So are you saying that a lot, if not a majority, of women who join fetish sites do so because their significant others convinced them or pressured them into doing so, and it's not really 100% of their own free will and desire to dominate?

8. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    3:05 PM
    My kh was not naturally a dominant person. She enjoyed the benefits enough that it grew on her to the point where being dominant (or keeping me submissive) was natural.

The roles are different but nobody’s time or effort should be more important or thought of as worth more in my opinion. Since the roles are different however, the ne role requires more effort. That is the role of the dominant. Sorry. The sun has one priority...the dominant, they however must think of their needs as well as their subs. They do the heavy lifting, thinking, and are probably more responsible for the success of their dynamic than the other. All the sub has to do is follow, it’s just more effort to lead.

That’s not saying they are getting nothing out of it, enjoying it, or feel that it’s worth it.

I would imagine that burden would be a lot easier to carry if the dominant were getting a sexual thrill from doing so, some don’t, and just like the results. Mine started as a result driven desire, but after a few years is now avidly turned on by her title, and stopped incorporating my fantasies and focused on hers.

I would hope my efforts to please her is just as important and worth just as much as hers...but I recognize that leading is work.

Panda2010 likes this.
  9. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    Probably true for some, a lot are pleasers who put on the dominant act to please their partners. When she says she loves dominating her husband it's because she knows it's pleasing him. A bit like faking an orgasm, probably a lot of pretend dominant women who have endless oral orgasms while their partners are locked are faking those as well.

10. LadyMoon

Verified Female

Writer
    DFW, Texas
    Local Time:
    It doesn't take a lot of effort for me to be dominant in the way I like to be dominant. If I felt like I had to "bend over backwards and move mountains" to be dominant, I probably wouldn't be interested.

Where I do see these kinds of conversations popping up is when the discussion is around online-only play/relationships. That type of dominance can be much more of an energy and time suck for a dominant, because it feels like you're putting so much more into it than you're getting out of it.

So, yes, for a man who approaches me online and asks to be controlled, to be kept in chastity, and to be given a list of tasks, it's often difficult to see what *I'm* gaining out of it. While I've had some satisfying online-only interactions, it often feels like "labor" in a way that in-person play and dominance does not.

11. Breathe

Breathe Be true to yourself

United States
    Local Time:
    2:05 PM
    What a pity, if this is commonplace! For women that do this, it sounds like wasted opportunities to get what you want (and need) while training him to perform properly. I couldn't imagine 'faking' the pleasure I'm supposed to enjoy, purely for 'his sake'. Why reward insufficient performance? Seems it'd only instill bad habits that are harder to break later.

Regardless, he'd know I was faking if I ever even tried. Maybe I'm more insistent that he gets it right when compared to some, but he's gotten much better over time so I'm glad that's been the case. He does complain of a sore tongue after a few long sessions, though... but he still doesn't stop. ;)

To those subs that can't tell the differences between a real or fake orgasm... My condolences go to you. Talk to your partner(s) and ask how they feel - and listen to the answers without taking offense! Practice, practice, practice. :)

I'd agree to that, for the most part. For us, I essentially created the initial forward momentum and have expected him to keep up the pace since then. It started snowballing and picking up speed when we were both moving at a similar pace; now the load of our D/s is 'easier' to bear between us. I never felt like I was working fruitlessly, however, even during the hard times.

With power comes responsibility... and I enjoy the responsibilities of My position. I also cherish them. It's empowering to know another strong human being has committed themselves to you in such a way, to follow your example and directives. As such, large waves of agreeable reciprocity seem to occur naturally - just from us fulfilling our individual roles.

Same here. Before I met My husband, I had many enjoyable online encounters with male submissives but there always seemed to be a wall that would ultimately get hit (except with one, obviously :) ). That's when it started feeling laborious. Frenzied states can be a total turn-off in online scenarios because there's only so much that can be 'done' about it, whereas in person it can be one of the most fun states in which to keep a submissive.

There's definite distinctions among settings, and I'd say they are innumerable and not always obvious. Each setting has its own set of pros and cons.

Generalizations, while sometimes helpful, more appropriately belong in the conventional aspects of life rather than within kink, in My personal opinion. If you attempt to understand one element in its entirety, you may be exercising this effort in futility ... from what I've experienced, very little within kinky lifestyles can be defined so stringently using black and white.

I've discovered that you're bound to offend someone when speaking generally, often regardless of intent!

In this case, I'd argue it's pretty hard to say that since there's no hard data to rely on - but that could apply to just about anything. Sure, many partners get roped into online involvement and are less intrigued by the atmosphere than the other, but I think it goes both ways.

A perfect example is My husband! I brought him here and he is rarely involved in ongoing discussions on CM, but he didn't join because he was submitting to Me. He doesn't 'play a part' - when he's here or otherwise. I would think many people who identify as Dominant do things because they want to do them, not because they are coerced.

But who knows? Those generalizations strike again... ;)

I'm pretty curious where this assumption comes from...

I don't think either role is 'easy'. You can be a natural on either side of the slash, but I would wager that the work and mental devotion put in by dedicated submissives can pile up quickly - which is why you constantly hear of the internal battles being fought when subs consider the implications of complete obedience.

For instance, I don't think it's easy for most subs to comply with orgasm denial, not for a second. But is it worth it, for both (all) parties? Absolutely. The same goes for a Dominant that reaps the benefits of service from their submissive(s). Some subs are harder to train than others, but I wouldn't say I've ever 'bent over backwards' for one.

Although I am in the process of 'moving mountains' ... of paperwork, to get him here with Me. But that's due to love, another subject entirely...

Beck, Panda2010 and LadyMoon like this.
  12. SmartandObedient

Law student
    Local Time:
    I guess it comes from all the times where Dominant Women demand compensation for their time as Dominants, as if their time is much more valuable than a submissive's. I'm in law school and have a million other things going on, so I'm really making an effort to cultivate this part of my life.

13. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    It's simple, you want this more than women do, so you have to put in more effort, be it money or time, or whatever they want.

14. Mandynjack

Mandynjack Long term member

Local Time:
    The truly dominant woman can indeed survive without a submissive. However Mistress, I think every dominant Woman needs to feel that She is over something or someone. Dominance in a world of one is the same as being at the top and/or bottom of one's own world. Sustaining? I don't think so over time. Your projection of Your dominance whether in Your narratives or videos suggest You are projecting to someone or bodies. I believe You are true to Yourself and expect those who Devote to You understand that it really is only about You. Their needs are incidental at best, irritating at worst. To feel truly dominant, someone has to be truly submissive. As for obsession? The truly submissive cannot be so, without some recognition from someone dominant.

15. Mandynjack

Local Time:
    Maybe, maybe not. I think the feeling of subjugation can consume the truly submissive, to the point where unconscious deference gets taken over by the need to devote more overtly. Where does one such go where he (usually, but she too) will not be dubbed; deviant, pervert, creep? A good sub will devote for life, they are hard to find.

16. Mandynjack

Local Time:
    So true Mistress, but maybe a small price to pay for a loved one who in all other things is the one!

17. Mandynjack

Local Time:
    Agreed, the slave and servants job is to serve. This should be without conditions. At the Mistress's will, irrespective the tariff.

18. Mandynjack

Local Time:
    @SmartandObedient, there is quite a bit in here, so I shall keep my response simple..
    True obedience should be proffered without agenda or condition. It's less about who's time is more valuable, it's about use the valuable time a Mistress grants you to be the best submissive you can be.

19. Mandynjack

Local Time:
    Copy that!

20. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    There is a whole world full of people who submit
    There's a whole world of submissive people you meet in every day life, be it at work or socially. I don't need someone who is submissive as a fetish to be dominant.

Slave to a Goddess likes this.
  21. Mandynjack

Local Time:
    The fetishist is obsession in motion with sexual connotations. Not good submissive material IMHO. This is why my own submissive has no sexual elements in his life. It came down to; do you want pretend dominance or real dominance? I will only proffer real dominance for real submission. He is very happy.... and so am I;)

Beck and L-u-c-y like this.
  22. LadyMoon

Verified Female

Writer
    DFW, Texas
    Local Time:
    If by "compensation," you mean money, then yes, some dominants charge for their time. Others are lifestyle dominants and do not charge for their time. In discussions of dominance, dominance styles, and motivations for dominance, it's helpful to separate the two camps.

With a professional, you typically get domination that is (more or less):
    1) Immediate
    2) On your terms
    3) With no strings attached

For many men, this is highly appealing -- for a fee, they can get what they need, when they need it, and then return to their vanilla life. This service exists because there's a demand for it.

That's what professional domination is -- a service you book with a skilled professional, just as you would pay a plumber, a caterer, or a massage therapist.

If you don't want to pay, then you can seek out a lifestyle dominant, someone who enjoys engaging with submissive men on a friendly or relationship basis.

The tradeoffs are that it typically takes a long time to find someone you're compatible with, you can't necessarily dictate what fantasies of yours she is going to fulfill, and she may want some kind of ongoing relationship or at least ongoing service. For some men, these tradeoffs are exactly what they want. For others, these are compromises and entanglements they'd rather avoid.

So, if paying for domination is something you don't want to do, then don't go that route. Don't pay for it. Wait until you meet someone who aligns with your personality and kinks.

I'll add the caveat that if you are seeking an online-only relationship, however, many lifestyle dominants just aren't interested in that, and so you may be finding a higher proportion of professionals.

Panda2010 likes this.
  23. Mandynjack

Local Time:
    I agree, professional dominants are key to the submissives who want to guarantee their needs are met and my sisters in the trade provide a valuable service. Findomme is also devotion to the superior female. I know there is a moral line to this, but I see this again as an agreed contract between Dominant and submissive.

24. SmartandObedient

Law student
    Local Time:
    This is precisely why I'm not into that type of "domination".
    Anything on my terms will not truly be submission.

25. LadyMoon

Verified Female

Writer
    DFW, Texas
    Local Time:
    Then there's your answer. If you're not interested in professional domination, then look for someone who's in the lifestyle. Still, be prepared to explain what you have to offer; she won't want your money, but she will still want someone who adds value to her life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice