Suggestion: Auto delete inactive For sale/wanted threads

Discussion in 'Site announcements and information' started by Unlucky, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Unlucky

Unlucky Long term member

Local Time:
    5:17 PM
    The For Sale/Wanted subforum has 1,346 threads as of this moment. Most of the items have either been declared as sold but not moved to the SOLD subforum or the status of the item was never updated and the poster is no longer active. That makes the use of the subforum significantly more difficult than it should be.

There are a number of possible ways of solving that, but the one that requires the least moderator work going forward if it is possible would be to have threads automatically expire after a period of inactivity. My thought is 3 months, but the specific period isn't particularly important. If something is still for sale, it isn't unreasonable for the seller to be expected to bump the thread on occasion.

If that level of automation isn't possible or reasonable, I'd suggest deleting every thread that doesn't have a post in 2018. From that point, going through and finding which items have been sold or were posted by someone who is inactive is a much less daunting task.

The same could probably be done with the Seeking Or Soliciting subforum as well, but I suppose those can be a little more open ended.

2. Joey love

Joey love Long term member

Local Time:
    8:17 PM
    I think your idea about a specific time is perfect. With a predetermined date- i.e. 30 days for example, the wanted/seller would know come 30 days to repost if necessary

3. danleft1

danleft1 Long term member

South East USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    8:17 PM
    I'm not sure "deleting" the post is the right answer ...meaning that the "for sale" can act as a resource for people looking for / at the many devices available .... but 100% agree pushing them off into some sort of "archive" is most definitely a good idea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice