Should I subtract 1/2 inch from my flaccid length for optimal fit?

Discussion in 'Male Chastity Now' started by MaleChastityNow, Mar 20, 2019.

1. MaleChastityNow

MaleChastityNow making Bling for his thing

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    7:15 PM
    I've received yet another email from a customer who ordered a cage that is too short for him. Below is his note to me, and below that is my response.

Unfortunately the length of the cage is too short, it really needs about another half an inch for the perfect fit. I've got to admit I'm a bit perplexed, in all the research I did and forum threads I read, the constant advice was to take a half inch off your length measurements for the optimal fit. Instead of a snug fit, everything is kind of cramped in. I guess I should've just asked you!

Anything one reads on the internet about measuring for a device is the author’s opinion and suggestions. Because something has worked for one person doesn’t mean it’s going to work for every individual.

I've always advocated for making one's device the same length as their flaccid length, as mentioned in the measuring guidelines on my website...

http://malechastitynow.com/measuring.html

The reason I don't advocate for 'cage stuffing' is because it works for some people, but not for all people, and whether it will work for any given individual really can't be known until the wearer's body has had a chance to respond and provide feedback.

As such, I've always felt that 'cage stuffing' is best left for the experienced chastity enthusiast's who are fine tuning their next purchase.

Ideally, the cage length is sized so that your entire penis is comfortable in a "resting" position filling the cage, not too long or too short, but just right. When the tip of the penis rests lightly against the front bars of the cage, you will be able to become aroused inside the device while avoiding discomfort to the penis itself.

2. Bertha

Bertha Active member

Local Time:
    10:15 PM
    also, consider how easy it could be to clean everything inside the cage - the penis and the inside of the cage - depending on the length of time being locked between each period unlocked... if granted!

3. jb123

jb123 Long term member

Analyst
    USA
    Local Time:
    I think part of the problem is a man's flaccid size can vary depending on a variety of factors.

When I measured for my Contender I wanted to get as short as possible when I am standing up instead of leaning forward or lying down.

The best bet i found to get exact measurements is to do the following.

1. Orgasm
    2. Wait 15 minutes
    3. Take a shower
    4. Step out and measure.

I did this three days in a row to get precise measurements.

4. Billus

Billus Laconic.

UK
    Local Time:
    3:15 AM
    People are saying take half an inch off? That's not a good idea, as you've unfortunately discovered. I have to say I've never seen that - it's always been whatever your flaccid size is. Measure, measure, measure. I've advocated for the size you are when you're not thinking about it at all, such as when you're mowing the lawn or something.

5. Dumb1

Dumb1 senior member

trade
    UK
    Local Time:
    hopefully though return indoors and strip off there to measure!

6. Adam444

Adam444 Long term member

Chicagoland, USA
    Local Time:
    I'm not sure where the 1/2" came from but sizing can be confusing. What I've suggested is this:

a272 length.jpg

Some manufacturers will spec a tube length but not the overall length of the device. For the one above the ring and gap adds about 25mm to the overall length but a simple round stock base ring only adds about 12 mm.

7. MaleChastityNow

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    For overall length of a device, the measurement needs to be taken down the side, centerline and not from the top or bottom of the device.

The measurement is taken from the back side of the base-ring (A-ring) to the interior of the cage where the penis will touch the cage front.

If a measurement is taken from the top, outside curve, you'll record a longer measurement; if taken from the bottom, a shorter measurement will be obtained.

side centerline.jpg

Jchn likes this.
  8. Adam444

Adam444 Long term member

Chicagoland, USA
    Local Time:
    Good point Mark, although I think I put the sizing information above the device because that's where the space was to draw. I did it to illustrate including the thickness of the base ring, locking mechanism, and gap in the measurement. When I get a chance, I will see what I can do about a better illustration.

9. Billus

Billus Laconic.

UK
    Local Time:
    Remember kids, never measure your penis while juggling garden shears or hedge trimmers!

"Cut the stick, not your dick"

Dumb1 and zorglub like this.
  10. MaleChastityNow

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    @Adam444, I posted the image of taking the measurement down the side because I've also had customer's use a chastity device to convert (transfer) measurements for the custom device they're going to build, only to have the new device end up being totally wrong.

I don't feel a device should ever be used, under any circumstances, to transfer measurements for a custom made device. The problem is that ring (and tube) thickness and shape can vary from device to device. That difference will make each device 'fit' and 'feel' and 'wear' differently.

The two photos above are an excellent demonstration: The wide ergonomic base-ring in the photo will grip a person's entire 'package' differently than the narrower, round base-ring on the device in the second photo.

However, having said the above, devices that have rings similar in shape and thickness may be used to convert measurements.

Since a device is going to be worn on a person's body though, I suggest using the body to take measurements, even for a new custom-made device.

My goal is to fabricate a device that will fit the buyer correctly, on the first try. Three things are necessary for that to happen...1) correct base-ring size, 2) correct cage-ring size, 3) flaccid length.

I don't feel there's any good way to measure for a base-ring or cage-ring, other than using inexpensive 'test rings' that are similar in thickness and shape to the rings I hand make for a Contender.

The correctly sized base-ring is the one you can wear for one to two days without experiencing any discomfort. If any discomfort is experienced then the ring is too narrow.

While wearing your base-ring, slip a narrower, cage-ring around your penis. It will provide excellent visual feedback, showing you how your penis will appear inside a cage. The cage-ring should slip on easily and have a little space inside it.

The reason why I suggest wearing a base ring when testing for a cage ring size is because wearing a base ring may cause things to become a little more 'plump' than what they normally are.

Inexpensive test rings may be purchased from the following company...

https://male-essentials.com/Rubber-Cock-Rings-RRAS.htm

Rectrix and corsac like this.
  11. JosieLynn Jewell

JosieLynn Jewell Long term member

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    For every designer out there, a different way to measure exists :)

I ask for a measurement along the top, and make that the straight line length from the back top of the basering to the inside tip. That usually means that the arc that Mark drew is just a bit shorter than the requested length, and helps "seat" the tip without stuffing.

I, too, had someone request a cage while sending me measurements from their current cage, but I put a stop on the project before proceeding with actual size measurements. Cage measuring is definitely not going to give a great result.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice