I need to vent...

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Anonymouse, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Active member

Local Time:
    5:50 PM
    So, obviously, this is not aimed at anyone here.

I have some food allergies. In the broad sense of the meaning of allergy, my food allergies are really minor; Eating or drinking food or beverage with stuff I'm allergic to doesn't cause anaphylaxis or anything like that. It makes my stomach really upset. And then, well, I refer to it as a 'pyroclastic flow', let your imag... No, don't imagine it.

Anyway. I am allergic to dairy. When someone offers me food, say Ice Cream, and I decline, and they ask why, and I say I'm allergic to dairy, they inevitably say "oh, you mean lactose? There's stuff you can take to fix that..."

NO. I am NOT allergic to Lactose. Nor am I lactose intolerant. I am ALLERGIC to the PROTEINS in dairy, I am allergic to the dairy itself. This is such a difficult concept for some people to get, I don't understand.

On top of that, I'm unable to process sucrose and isomaltase. Those are sugars. So, ice cream with sucrose based sweetener is a double punch for me.

And yes, being allergic to dairy sucks.

But it sucks less than being allergic to gluten (and no, I don't have celiacs). But the sucrose/isomaltase allergy sucks the most, since a lot of healthy things contain lots of sucrose (carrots, pears, strawberries, pineapple, any kind of really sweet fruit or vegetable).

So, yeah, that's my rant over. D:

Oh, PS... I know, for a fact, that anything requiring a spoon to eat is not, in fact, valid food. D:< Dairy free ice cream can be eaten with a fork, so it doesn't count!

tomf_22033 likes this.
  2. IB-Chaste

IB-Chaste Chastity Superman.

Local Time:
    12:50 AM
    Ok. Firstly, it’s ok to rant. But please don’t be disrespectfully throwing around your incorrect opinions.
    Alpro plant-based custard… better than any dairy based alternative. Fact!
    Swedish Glacé ice cream, wouldn’t eat that with a fork and that stuffs incredible!
    (my son has milk protein intolerance)

Out of interest… has chastity helped the situation? :D

3. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Active member

Local Time:
    No, I'm still not frustrated enough! D:<

:p

4. zbovka

zbovka Design Enthusiast

Local Time:
    8:50 AM
    I had similar allergies.

The dairy thing for me was resolved by sorting out my thyroid disorder.
    I had a similar thing with artificial sweetners, and they also indirectly heighten my thyroid disorder. Not that I enjoy artificial sweetners, apparently they have low compatibility with my taste buds so a lot of them taste like crap.

> I know, for a fact, that anything requiring a spoon to eat is not, in fact, valid food.

I guess smoothies, porridge, rissotto and other fine grain foods aren't valid then

5. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Active member

Local Time:
    Luckily, I can indulge in artificial sweeteners all I want. I had thyroid issues in the distant past, but they self resolved, without any intervention, just monitoring. That was annoying, thyroid is really important for pretty much everything, and I'm grateful I don't have to deal with that anymore, beyond monitoring once or twice a year.

Smoothies require a straw, not a spoon. Can't stand porridge, rissotto, and... I'm flat out allergic to most fine grains, so yeah, not really any argument there. XD

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice