How to start an argument on the Internet in two easy steps :)

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by manintyres, Aug 4, 2017.

1. manintyres

manintyres Junior Member

Process Operator
    Thurrock
    Local Time:
    3:02 AM
    Step 1 post an opinion

The step 2 wait .... :)

2. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    That's no way to go about it.

manintyres likes this.
  3. windrush

windrush Junior Member

Local Time:
    Anyone is entitled to my opinion.

manintyres likes this.
  4. Vinny

Vinny Locked up again. Starting year 6.

Local Time:
    10:02 PM
    I have found a way to avoid online fights. I am alpha and instinct is to go for the jugular vein. When I post in response to the original poster, I am speaking to him and not anyone else. I simple avoid reading the other replies to the OP unless I am looking for the same information. I say my piece and move on. That avoids a lot of fights. I hang out on a life self defense with firearms forums. 99% of the people there never fired a shot in anger. I have many times. Yet they think they are experts never having experienced the stress of life or death and fight or flight. They focus on the type of gun they have and are quick to criticize guns they not only have ever shot, but never seen in person. Too many keyboard Rambo's.

One thing I picked up on is that those who post fantasy stuff tend to defend what they said vigorously. They protest too much. They need to be believed or else their online persona is blown. I do not believe half the stuff I post. My wife and I talk about the things we did and ask each other if we can believe we did that stuff. I do not think I could do it now but back then it was sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. I do not need people to believe me so I do not argue to defend what I say. I have the memories so what do I care if others believe me or not. It takes nothing away from me. So no fighting is necessary.

In chat rooms I simply leave and go offline. There are plenty of people online with sad lives who need to get recognition online and see how many people they can piss off and reply. I studied Psychology. One of the subjects we studied are why people join clubs and organizations. The main reason is that in their lives they may be at the lowest position and have no accomplishments to be proud of. Yet they can join a club and be the Grand Poobar and share in the club's accomplishments. You find the same behavior in some forums. One or a few people control the forum and if you to not think as they do or buy what they recommend, you are attacked by their minions. This is much more prevalent in the gun forums I belong too. The guys making money from training others tend to dominate the forums because unlike the rest, they have actually shot at people. The forum experiences Group Think. You either think like they do or get attacked. Lots of self appointed experts on the internet.

So I am aware of all this stuff and learned to stay away or out of it.

SubVerity likes this.
  5. Mash2214

Mash2214 Locked today, tomorrow, forever

Business Owner, servant
    Canada
    Local Time:
    8:02 PM
    So your saying that when I Post my Opinion, it Creats an Argument, I Disagree,

Oops your right. Good Joke

Chastylady and manintyres like this.
  6. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    #6 Mascara^Snake, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017

Vinny the fact that you don't read anyone elses responses to a thread is in fact quite noticeable. I think it's a shame in a way because you have a lot of valuable experience and knowledge to share. It feels odd to me sometimes. visualising you as if in a room full of people, at a meeting. Sitting with your hands over your ears and then occasionally standing up and saying your piece with hands still clamped tightly over your ears.

I think that part of the reason I've been a member for so long (8 years today as someone informed me!) is because I feel CM is a community.
    I've always been able to pop in here from whichever timezone I'm in and advise and assist and just listen to people and learn.
    Of course there are lots of people with different opinions and needs and ideas to your own that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to understand them.
    Gosh and you even have been educated in psychology. You of all people should be more understanding and give more understanding and love to those people at the lowest position who have no accomplishments to be proud of. Unkind people need more kindness than others wouldn't you agree?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice