How long is a piece of string?

Discussion in 'Chastity and orgasm denial' started by Tom Allen, Mar 20, 2019.

Random Thread
  1. Billus

Billus Laconic.

UK
    Local Time:
    4:54 PM
    Ah, intelligent conversation - how I've missed you!

As I've stated on this site many times over the years, there are no "chastity police" to fine you or suspend your privileges for doing chastity or denial your own way. But it seems redundant to need to resort to a glossary in order to redefine commonly-used words (with their commonly-used definitions). Perhaps a simpler approach is required in order to address the elephant in the room.

That said, people are just plain stupid. Granted, everyone of us is stupid about something, and some stupider than others about more than one thing. But attempting to fix "permanent weekend chastity" with an updated lexicon is like trying to stop border crossings at established checkpoints by building walls out in the middle of nowhere. It's a solution in search of a problem.

Sadly, stupid is hard to fix. Some people are proud of being stupid, and the Dunning-Kruger effect can also impede understanding where the error truly lies. A lot of people tend to throw common sense out of the nearest window when they get all hot and bothered about their squishy bits being stimulated by denial, even if only for a (very) short time. In the heat of arousal, a glossary won't help.

My immediate response would be to simply call out stupid comments like "permanent chastity, except when...", but I know that's not always a good idea (resisting my own desire to be stupid, perhaps). Still, I think pointing out stupidity in some way can help; this site has benefited greatly over the past two years or so by having an admin who's more than willing to call a spade a spade, or whatever metaphor you wish to use. Like the old joke about hitting the donkey between the eyes with a 2 x 4, first you have to get his attention.

So maybe asking overenthusiastic or overheated posters exactly what they mean by "permanent" and pointing out where and when this is wrong might help somewhat. There's an old saying that it takes a village to raise a child. But stupid grows all by itself. Calling attention to it when it rears its ugly head might eventually lead to a decrease in its application. One can only hope.

Consensus, El Guapo and Tom Allen like this.
  2. Rectrix

Rectrix Long term member

US East Coast
    Local Time:
    11:54 AM
    I don't use the term permanent because of this multiplicity of connotations. I think, in common English, it should mean 'forever with no exceptions,' but that's not practical in the real world. Even here, there are vanishingly few who could truthfully say it's been locked on for two years and never once removed.

I like the suggestion above that it is 'permanently a part of our relationship because we have agreed that it is, and is always on except when grants permission for life reasons or her own reasons to take it off, and then only until she says to put it back on.' I guess that would 'maritally permanent,' like my marriage is permanent.

Consensus, El Guapo and Tom Allen like this.
  3. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    Permanent chastity means being kept in a chaste state permanently.
    Chaste can I have just discovered mean a lot of things.
    As far a TTTWD chaste to me means the fequency or lack of your orgasms is dictated by another (a KH)
    Permanently chaste is therefore the above state for as long as the relationship exists.

Permanent denial means that. denied orgasms for all time

Permanently locked. locked in one device until the relationsship ends ..with perhaps limited time of for esential maintenace. Like Mina's bitch claimed he was going to do and then they changed their minds.

I've said my piece elewhere on the state of being locked into a device in a permanent way and the sense of never doing that.

Indefinite denial.. the situation I'm in.

Indefinite denial re-enforced with being permanently locked.
    Also means that unlike permanent anything My Lady retains full-control of what when and if
    I am allowed time out when necessary for cleaning/maintenace. I have been denied a while now and I do not know when ot if I will be allowd another orgasm or even erection. I do know that if I am allowed either it may or may not be my last.
    Complete head-fuck for me .. thank you.. no doubt she is in charge and I have not a clue whether my next orgasm has already been had. All I do know is that should I question her in relation to any of this I get control of my own keys back permanently

4. jemima

jemima maid for my Mistress

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    im stupid cos I just thought you wanted to know what it means. sorry.

5. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    If you are apologising to me I have no idea what for and none is necesary.

6. jemima

jemima maid for my Mistress

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    ooh no. please I was saying it to @Tom Allen

7. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Local Time:
    Ah my misunderstanding.

jemima likes this.
  8. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    No apology needed here; I was just capitalizing on your statement to make a larger point.

And @filltee has some nicely clarified definitions, but it's doubtful that everyone else would adopt them. The community isn't even a community - it's a loose conglomeration of people (mainly guys) who are into it for widely varying reasons.

Billus likes this.
  9. El Guapo

El Guapo Ladies First.

Estados Unidos
    Local Time:
    10:54 AM
    From some 1960's song lyrics:

"When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way.
    From your first cigarette to your last dying day."

Sounds pretty permanent to me.
    It wasn't for Tony ... or was it?

"You're never alone ... you're never disconnected."

Never?
    Seems like this concept has been around for a while.
    Cant blame this one on the Millennials (that was a joke).

~ ~ ~

I'll postulate that our Neanderthal ancestors were more accurate in their communications.

Tom Allen likes this.
  10. Bertha

Bertha Active member

Local Time:
    Great thread

actually we know little about the real intentions of our Owner. and it is perfectly fine and part of the pleasure of being owned.

so when She says: you will be in chastity in eternity, there are many possible futures to that eternity.

in my case, i am pretty sure that eternal denial of classic orgasm is non negotiable.

i might have rare permission to remove the device, for cleaning under supervision or take the plane. my device is of stainless steel and has grand openings useful for a decent hygiene.

the only things that i will be permanent: Her Skills to surprise me, and... the tattoo She asked to be inked on my skin! :)

11. jmanque

jmanque Active member

Writer
    San Francisco
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    8:54 AM
    I tend to agree that 'permanent' shouldn't mean 'temporary' in the same way that 'literally' shouldn't be used as an emphatic form of 'figuratively,' but I looked in the OED for kicks to see if 'permanent' always meant 'never changing' and was a bit surprised. Permanent can also mean 'persistent,' or 'opposed to 'fugacious'' (which means 'immaterial' or ready to or tending to 'flit' or 'flee'), or 'motionless,' Among the many quotations demonstrating the use of the word was one I thought some here would enjoy-

1432–50 tr. Higden (Rolls) IV. 349 The sonnes and doȝhters of the seide Nicholas were permanente [permanserint] in chastite alle the tyme of theire life.

So the idea of permanent chastity isn't exactly new, though they may have been using it in a different way :p

El Guapo, Rectrix and Tom Allen like this.
  12. Miss Veronica

Verified Female

Europe
    Local Time:
    5:54 PM
    It's because we are in the era of Transmodernity where you are not allowed to categorise anything anymore. You are not allowed to generalise, type or define - every individual thing has to be included to satisfy everyone. And because of this, everyone is allow to interpret their own situation how they see fit. Ugh, just slap me now....lol.

You get this type of thing in the Domme-o-sphere too - Dommes using standard words in the wrong way that unfunktifies meaning. But the thing that busts my bubble is the anti-generalising/typing/defining movement. For example: When you talk about types and characteristics and traits, which are handy to understand the Domme you are interacting with,– Goddess, Amazon, Mommy, Matron, etc – you always get some who say, "I'm an individual and can't be typed" (but really, you can type them straight away just because they say that...lol.). I get the whole 'I'm an individual' speech, but categorising and defining helps people understand each other. A rock is a rock because we have all agreed it is a rock. And so when we talk about a rock, we know we are not talking about sand or a rabbit. The problem comes when some rocks don't want to be called rocks, they don't want a name (and they then wonder why no one can understand them...lol). When a Domme who is looking for a sub doesn't call herself a Mommy or an Amazon, etc, for clarity, she will get all the other types of subs – puppies, slaves, gimps, finsubs, etc – contacting her.

Non-generalising, un-categorising, un-defining, is the pinnacle of PC and has made life that much harder.

13. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Post-modernism is killing Western culture. But that's a topic all on its own. ;-)

I'm not saying that we should never use the word. There are situations for which the term "permanent chastity" or "permanent denial" are, if not literally correct, are at least technically descriptive to give readers an understanding of the circumstances.

Personally, I try to avoid using the term in conversations to describe my own situation, although I probably fall into the "technically descriptive" category. I just don't have any desire to get into the dick-measuring contests because I won't wear my device through the travel inspection scanners, or for 50 mile bike rides.

But I understand a lot of the guys who will use the term, and it's okay because it provides a mental shorthand. What I really object to, I guess, is how the word no longer seems to be used to describe "long periods of time" or "almost never removed;" when someone can write "Permanent for the next month," it fails to be a good descriptive term anymore.

Miss Veronica and El Guapo like this.
  14. Giles_English

Giles_English Chaste slave

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    3:54 PM
    I think we may have this discussion backwards!

Examples of usage off the internet:
    • A permanent joint usually cannot be disassembled without destroying the parts or damaging their surfaces. The. main types of permanent joints are riveted, welded, soldered, pressed, cemented, rolled, and combined (such as cemented and welded).
    • A permanent wave, commonly called a perm or "permanent", involves the use of heat and/or chemicals to break and reform the cross-linking bonds of the hair structure.
    • What’s commonly called a permanent erection is an erection that won’t go away within four hours; the medical term for this condition is priapism.
    • What is a permanent place of abode? In general, a permanent place of abode is a residence (a building or structure where a person can live) that: you maintain, whether you own it or not; and. that is suitable for year-round use.
    • Permanent (regular) employees do not have a predetermined end date to employment.
    None of the above are permanent as in "eternal" or "perpetual"!

Permanent usually means "physically sealed" and "for a significant period relative to the alternative".

So, I think usage justifies calling chastity permanent if:
    1. The device is sealed (as with joints, above). It's not permanent unless the only way out involves destroying a part. Your wife having hidden the keys doesn't count.
    2. The prospect of release is not used as an incentive. (Your boss doesn't usually offer to release you from your permanent job.) It's not permanent if your keyholder is using the promise of release to get you to do things.
    3. Chastity is expected to last a significant time period. (You might take a "permanent" job knowing you will be moving country in two years, for example. And you can be unexpectedly fired from a permanent job. Conversely, you can't call it a permanent job if you quit after three days.) It's not permanent if it's over the weekend, of if device is not fit for open ended use (as per the residence, above).
    Only the last one is fuzzy: what counts as "a significant time period for chastity"?

At least long enough for it to become business as usual.

That means at least 1 month, because it takes 2-4 weeks for peak horniness to fade into a kind of background itch. So I think if your adventure was terminated for you at that point, it wasn't permanent.

If you google, the period of adjustment new habits usually take just under 3 months to form, which is also roughly a season. So if you pass 3 months before things go wrong - or your partner orders your release - you experienced permanent chastity.

However, I think for any of this to count, you have to enter the adventure with the realistic expectation to go longer than that such that the period after adjustment will be much more significant than the period before: another 6 months, taking minimum expected period to 9 months.

So it's permanent chastity if the device is sealed and expected to stay on for at least 9 months.

15. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Giles, I know you put a lot of thought into these discussions. Don't take this the wrong way:

So, I take a padlock, drip some wax into the keyhole - hell, it's a cheap Wolfdog, so I break the key in the lock. So, now I'm locked "permanently" by your standard... until I use my bolt cutters to remove the padlock three days later, which was my intention all along. I'm sorry, but that's part of what I'm complaining about. Three days, sealed or not, doesn't fit into the connotation one *normally* has about the term.

Yes, I know you've added other criteria.

Your second criteria introduces expectations, including the reflexive expectation of being released: it's not "permanent" if you have an expectation of release.

Your third criteria does introduce some time frame, but then you toss all sorts of conditions onto that. At least a month? Six? Nine? A Year? Even your final criteria is a limiting condition:

Again, I know you put a lot of thought into this topic. But there is inherently little to no difference that I can discern between your last statement, and the one I ran across saying "I'll be in permanent chastity for the next month."

I understand the draw to using the word: it's evocative, and (for those interested) it's hot. Maybe we have to accept that it can only be used in a figurative sense... which means that we have to accept that we're going to get a lot of people who will be "Permanent for the rest of the week."

16. Giles_English

Giles_English Chaste slave

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    3:54 PM
    Not at all, this is interesting. And you're right, of course.

I think the problem is that the two strongest definitions of "permanent" relate to (1) technical process of sealing which tells us nothing about attitude or duration, and (2) perpetuity of wear, which is unlikely and not usually the aim. Going with #1 but adding time constraints seems contrived.

And yet we still do need a term for "sealed, a done deal, long term", because that's one end of the chastity spectrum.

I guess we're left with "sealed in long-term chastity," which sounds a bit lame and undramatic.

17. Slave2Steph

Slave2Steph Long term member

IT
    US
    Local Time:
    Any cleaning tips on that device? I have it and I don't think once a month would be often enough

18. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I'll quote you something I wrote elsewhere:

Slave2Steph likes this.
  19. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    And I agree here, which is why I don't completely object to the use of "permanent." It's just that one would think that a person using the expression "I'm in permanent chastity for the rest of the week" would recognize that it has syntactical nonsense of the expression "Toss me that refrigerator, please."

Giles_English likes this.
  20. asimpleman23

asimpleman23 Long term member

Local Time:
  21. asimpleman23

Local Time:
    I dunno: I like a good refrigerator toss. try to toss or get mine tossed, say, quarterly...?

22. asimpleman23

Local Time:
    and, so it's said: a piece of string is this long. always is.

23. jmanque

jmanque Active member

Writer
    San Francisco
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    OK, so I did misunderstand, but honestly, and it's just my opinion, I'm not crazy about your definition. I think 'long term' might be better than 'permanent' because it wouldn't lead to the misunderstanding that requires the explanation. But I'm not with the Permanent Police, so use it any way you see fit :p.

Giles_English likes this.
  24. Mandylove62

Mandylove62 Member

Local Time:
    Soryy if i am repeating. I did not read all of the many posts before mine.
    This seems to be a contentious subject, but I would would describe permanent chastity as being unable to escape or give yourself an orgasm. If your Mistress lets you have an orgasm every week, it is still permanent if She is in total control of this, and I have NO control! As long as I follow the rules, it will always be permanent chastity!

25. Billus

Billus Laconic.

UK
    Local Time:
    Why do people not bother to read all the posts before replying? It's not like this is a Tolstoy novel. It's a way of declaring, "My opinion is more important than everyone before me".

But getting back to the topic at hand, I think we're starting to see some movement towards syntactical nit-picking. A permanent joint (like a weld, etc.) is not eternal, of course, but it's meant to mean the opposite of temporary. Being locked until 'who knows when' can be permanent, as in, the cage will fall off once your dead ass decomposes in the box. Being locked for the weekend is clearly a temporary arrangement. It makes perfect sense to say, "I was locked in permanent chastity until I needed to drill out the rivets for an important medical reason that was entirely unforeseen when I started." The intention was to stay locked practically forever (or as close as possible).

Being put into chastity for a predetermined set time (week, month, several months, year, etc.) is clearly an ad hoc situation, with no intention of carrying it forward any longer than the preset time. No matter how you slice it, such an arrangement is meant to be temporary only. To call it permanent boils down to saying "I'm going to be in temporary permanent chastity." A true oxymoron.

Jumbo shrimp, anyone?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice