hinged ring options?

Discussion in 'Badass Workroom' started by halo, Apr 2, 2023.

1. halo

halo Junior Member

Local Time:
    9:00 PM
    Hi all:

I have sent this question to BAW but I was wondering if anyone maybe already had an answer. I greatly prefer a hinged base ring and I can see the BA-21P does have this. It locks with a 'magic' lock BAW-sized cylinder laterally so the hinge doesn't seem to affect the rest of the structure. I have had poor-tolerate Chinese cages with hinges that were a struggle to align such that the locker would insert completely.

Does anyone know if they offer the hinged ring as a option on any model? Can it be done in titanium? How about in the ergo profile?

Thanks!!!

2. Lovemetal

Lovemetal Long term member

Oz
    Local Time:
    6:00 AM
    The only thing I would say is stay away from hinged base rings if you can they pinch the shit out of you. I have thrown out at least 3 devices with hinges base rings. I find the shaped base ring best of all over the round base ring. Good luck

Peter Rabbit likes this.
  3. halo

halo Junior Member

Local Time:
    I have used lots of hinged rings... going way way back to the original curve I think? Have used solid rings too, maybe total of 20 devices tried in the last 2+ decades. Hinged doesn't pinch me while fixed base rings are just very difficult for me, no matter what technique (have tried many). Just me, I know almost everyone else prefers solid rings which is why it's a rarity.

hardbodysub likes this.
  4. Lovemetal

Lovemetal Long term member

Oz
    Local Time:
    6:00 AM
    Each to their own I understand

5. WTF15

WTF15 Active member

Local Time:
    1:00 PM
    There is no harm in contacting Youming at BAW and asking. He is very willing to do custom work, so if you describe what you want, there is a good chance he could make it, or at least propose something that would satisfy your requirements.

You should be able to contact him via the Badassworkroom page on Etsy. Be patient, as he is very busy and sometimes it can take a day or two before you get a response. Also understand that there is probably a large time difference, so any round trip communication may take most of a day before you see a response.

6. hardbodysub

hardbodysub BrokeTheMold

Pennsylvania
    Local Time:
    4:00 PM
    I tend to agree with you, because with a hinged ring you can go with a smaller diameter, and it’s easier to put on and take off. If it’s machined properly, it shouldn’t pinch, and if it does pinch, you can cover the hinge with a sleeve.

7. halo

halo Junior Member

Local Time:
    Yes, I did so, I believe near the end of March this year. Haven't heard anything but I've also seen on other threads that BAW seems particularly busy, probably because they are generally doing a very impressive job from everything I read. The value proposition is massively better than anyone else. I know part of that is a locational advantage, probably some is materials, but still coming in at 1/3rd the price of western competitors while offering even MORE customization from what I understand!

I have only seen one BAW model with a hinged ring although based on what I saw it looked like it would be a viable option with many of their designs. Many of the Chinese designs that use hinged rings incorporate the guides for the 'magic locker' into the ring, expecting the cage to sit between the two; all three must align to insert the locker. Given the incredibly sloppy tolerances of these cages (and I don't expect much, they are cheap for a reason), getting a lateral locker into the guide can be an exercise in extreme frustration. I'm sure BAW machining is much better, as well as using a differing design.

hardbodysub likes this.
  8. halo

halo Junior Member

Local Time:
    Hey all, I got an answer from BAW today so I thought I'd share. Then can make any *round* ring hinged, both steeel and titanium. They can NOT do any curved (ergo) rings as hinged.

Unfortunately I think that means I am going to have a new cage on order! And I'll be damned if I can't get the permanent lock clip as a secondary option out of my mind... so bad.... I have very little in the way of tools so it seems like if my keyholder decided to put the clip in on a Ti cage..shudder. Certainly I have seen worse cases, like that of "Mina's Bitch"; his custom Ti/PA with Locktite and breakoff screw I thought was pretty foolproof but IIRC he said 3 days of slow drilling and cooling on a press eventually got it off. I'd have no possible way of doing that!

hardbodysub likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice