1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair removal

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by Slavetomisskat, May 14, 2017.

1. I too have just started using an epilator to get rid of my grey chest hairs that I can't do anything about with my laser. It works well and there is definitely less regrowth after using it.

Retiredinaz and danijean001 like this.
  2. Has anybody had any experience....good or bad with the "Pinchless Electrolysis Hair Remover" from Hammacher Schlemmer?

3. No, but I noticed it used batteries, not a good sign. If it was something professional grade and really worked, I imagine they would have made it to use a/c for a solid steady electrical supply, or at least rechargeable.

4. I tried a lot to get rid of my body hair: sugaring, waxing, epilation nothing really worked. For the last months I came back to shaving. But I am having a lot of issues with ingrown hairs and little infections after shaving and as I have pale skin and dark hair (a lot of unfortunately) you often see the stubble under the skin even directly after shaving.

But on the other hand: pale skin, dark hair... sounds like the perfect base to give IPL a try. Will start with it tomorrow. I am planning to use it on my right side only to see the differences. If you are interested in the results and my experiences with it I could keep you posted.

Regards, Lucy

Felix cum ea and rongeo like this.
  5. I would would be interested in in a follow up
    Lucy..
    Thank u
    Jemmi

6. I have had electrolysis done . Have a small triangle left. It was very expensive at electrology 3000 in lewisville Texas. I hate hair. Now very smooth, took 2 years.

Penney and locked17 like this.
  7. Wow.. 2 years..

8. Wax. Unless you plan on laser removal.

9. Alright, as mentioned before, I had the first run with my IPL device today. :) By the way: it is a Braun Silk-expert.

So after showering and shaving I used it on my right leg and on the right side of my crotch and belly. It went faster than expected - I was done in less then 20 minutes. The downside is that I am unsure if I "zapped" all of my skin or if I simlpy forgot some parts. Time will tell... ;-)
    Good thing is: no pain. It stings a little where the skin is soft and thinner. But compared to a waxing or using an epilator... piece of cake. :cool:

I will do it again next Sunday and hopefully the first results are visible until then. Will keep you posted. :)

Regards, Lucy

10. I have been using epilator for years. Decade, maybe even more. Mostly under arms and crotch area.
    And for two or three years I've been using home IPL (Remington).
    Hair are not close to be gone, but have been seriously reduced and weakened. I'm only using epilator lately and don't even feel hairs being pulled out (which hurt like hell when I started).
    I like the result but belive that using home lasers can't be 100% effective.
    There is also another thing. I've used IPL with it's strongest setting, while my gf used much lower power and results with her are much weaker.

11. As in most things it's all about power exchange.... ;)

Btw: That's why professional devices in studios have a way better effect than these home devices.

Rider9 likes this.
  12. Mistress B

Mistress B Mistress B
    Staff Member Moderator

Business Owner
    United Kingdom
  13. Try not to be too disappointed if you don't see any effect next week.
    I have been using IPL and recently laser for well over two years and there are still some stubborn spots that need work. IPL is a long term solution so you have to be patient with it, and, as has been pointed out, you need to use the highest setting you can take. But the good news is that the hair will grow back much slower and finer as you progress.

14. Hi everyone,

one week has passed and I am back for a first resume. First of all: how did the usage of the IPL device influenced the regrowth of hair?
    Simple answer: nothing happened, nothing changed - nada, nichts, niente. :mad: Yes, I am a bit disappointed and I probably was expecting too much (Sashauk: thank you, for your comment!).

So I had two scenarios in mind to explain this. First the effect is too small to be recognised after the first usage, second I was going too fast the last time and zapped too little hairs. With that said (or thought) I took a lot more time for my second run and tried to overlap my zaps. At least the stinging was definitely stronger than this time - I will take that for a good sign. :)

Regards, Lucy

15. Got to say the epilator method lasts the longest, with me anyway, it does hurt but the hair grows back finer...

16. I have used an epilator off and on for several years. The hair that grows back is finer as reported by others. There are areas where the epilator does not work well (scrotum, for example), and I shave there. Would LOVE to be permanently hairless, but I'm not willing to go with electrolysis, which appears to be the only effective permanent solution. It takes too long and costs too much in my opinion.

17. Don't give up Lucy. As I said IPL does take quite a long time so hang in there and in time you will see some progress.

When I first started using it early in 2015 the first weeks were much as you have experienced in that the hair seemed to be as thick as it was before, but after a while you will definitely notice that it is not as thick as it once was and those hairs that do regrow become finer. Take your time and make sure you cover all the area you are treating.

One thing to remember is that you need to exfoliate well to prevent ingrowing hairs.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

18. There might be 2 reasons why you have problems:

1st The power of home IPL devices are too low to have lasting effects

2nd You might have used an epilator in the last three months. If thats the case the IPL device will have no effect, because no hair is in the right state of growth.

19. I hate the hair as well. I shave, but would love not to. How frequently did you have to go for the procedure?

20. I've tried waxing, hair removal cream and an epilsator.....but generally i shave every other day, suits me, quick and easy.

21. This summer i had something pointed out to me that i had never noticed. I had an area from the middle of my calf down, that was almost bare of hair. Right where my socks end when i wear them with work boots. I guess years of wearing work boots and socks has inhibited hair growth there.

I was wearing shorts this summer, and my KH asked if i shaved half my leg or something. I said no, i don't shave in the summer. Well you have a definite line there, it looks silly, you should just shave the rest. I asked her what about what people say if they notice? She was like "who cares, it's gotta look better than looking like you shaved half way up your leg". So i did shave and feel better about it all.

gary170 likes this.
  22. Mistress B

Mistress B Mistress B
    Staff Member Moderator

Business Owner
    United Kingdom
    Oh well.