Ergonomic ring degrees?

Discussion in 'Difficulties with wearing a device?' started by Northy, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Northy

Northy DatKittehBoy

Massachusetts Usa
    Local Time:
    8:56 AM
    HI I'm not sure what the degree actually affects on ergonomic rings like the ones for cherry keeper. I keep having issues with the skin tearing right where my testicles meet my taint and I think it may be linked.

Is there a way to test the degree you need?
    I just ordered one with -5 degrees after trying a -3 degrees. I am wondering if I should have gone positive instead of negative.

2. jemima

jemima maid for my Mistress

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    1:56 PM
    well what is degree for please.

3. Adam444

Adam444 Long term member

Chicagoland, USA
    Local Time:
    The Cherry Keeper "degree" measurement refers to the relationship of the cage to the base ring, not the shape of the base ring. It's a way to increase or decrease "gap." "Ergonomic" base rings, which some find more comfortable, increase gap by their design so by decreasing the angle the wearer can maintain the same gap as with a flat ring.

The Cherry Keeper devices are well known for being a little "rough" as part of their 3D printing process. That may be causing your irritation and the base ring can be smoothed using 600-800 wet/dry sandpaper and a little soapy water for lubrication. Especially with a new device, it's helpful to use lubricant not only when putting it on but throughout the day.

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  4. Northy

Northy DatKittehBoy

Massachusetts Usa
    Local Time:
    I am looking to be able to stay in chastity 24/7 though(or atleast for longer than a few days) and having to lube it several times a day is a pain and a lot of work/hiding.

Is there any way to measure for the gap that I need? I'm not sure I understand what you mean either. It increases the gap between the bottom of the cage and the bottom of the ring?

I think it happens the most from when j get cold and my balls want to retract which pulls the skin back too. Maybe it's too loose? Or does it need to be looser?

5. jemima

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    i dont as well.

6. Adam444

Adam444 Long term member

Chicagoland, USA
    Local Time:
    "Gap" is basically the space left after subtracting out the area occupied by the cage (tube). There's three ways to change gap - increase/decrease the base ring diameter, increase/decrease the cage diameter, or change the angle of the cage in relation to the base ring.

Unfortunately there's no way to measure yourself for gap, it's a trial and error kind of thing. Attached are a couple of drawings I did years ago that might help illustrate the points.

cage sizing.jpg Cherry Keeper Drawing.png

Lazlo Toth and hardbodysub like this.
  7. bondinchas

bondinchas Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    Here's one way you can get a "ball park" figure for the gap measurement. (see what I did there :)

Get two pencils and two elastic bands.
    Place one pencil on the front of your scrotum above your balls, and the other pencil behind your scrotum level with the front one. Loop an elastic band (gently) around each end of the pencils to hold them there. Pull your balls down so that the minimum of tissue is trapped between the pencils.

Now you can gently arrange the pencils so that they're parallel, and it's then easy to measure the distance between them. The measurement that you get is the minimum distance that the largest part of the cage gap should be.

You could also check the largest gap that will keep the cage on (but this isn't quite so accurate).
    Take the elastic bands off and hold the ends of the pencils in each hand in the same position. Now gently pull the pencils off your balls, allowing them (the pencils) to separate until the smaller ball pops through. A gap larger than the distance between the pencils will be ineffective in holding the device on, and to allow for humidity/temperature/arousal/... changes, should be a few millimetres smaller.

Repeat both measurements and work out your minimum/average/maximum values for each measurement. The difference between the minimum and maximum measurements will give you an idea of just how critical your own gap setting is.

John Valjon and dst109 like this.
  8. jemima

Maid
    Birmingham
    Local Time:
    @Adam444 ooh i see what You meaned now. its the little space from the ring to the bottom of the cage. :rolleyes::)

9. Northy

Northy DatKittehBoy

Massachusetts Usa
    Local Time:
    And having the right gap measurement should stop the skin tearing?
    I was hesitant to attach this picture but I really want help making this problem go away. I will try out measuring the ball gap. There's so many measurements I get confused on which cage to order ‍‍

Attached Files:

10. Adam444

Adam444 Long term member

Chicagoland, USA
    Local Time:
    Gap is more about either keeping your testicles in the device without cutting off the blood flow, than about skin irritation. As I said previously, the Cherry Keeper is known to be a little rough, have you done any sanding?

Beyond that, if you're new to chastity or using a different device, then you might just need to let the skin toughen a bit. Stop wearing the device and let you skin heal completely. Once it's healed, start again going a little more slowly. Don't try to go 24/7 right away.

11. bondinchas

UK
    Local Time:
    Cuts or tears on the skin are very likely due to issues with the surface of the device rather than the size. The slightest roughness can act like sandpaper and abrade the skin surface, once it's broken, it only gets worse. If you can't see or feel the problem with a finger, use your tongue, it is much more sensitive than a finger. Even minute imperfections in the surface can cause problems, so once you identify where it is, it's a case of applying the appropriate grinding and polishing until it's really smooth.

Other possibilities are that the rings are too thin for your skin, and/or hygiene isn't as thorough as it could be. More likely a combination of a little of all these factors. Think of the extreme, a thin wire can be used to cut cheese. A thick ring spreads the weight across a bigger area, but the smaller the gauge of the ring the more point pressure occurs across a fixed line. That's when the accumulation of salty sweat, micro fibres from clothing and dirt all contribute to abrasion on that concentrated line.

I've had a couple of devices that were identical in size except that one had a much thicker base ring, it was much more comfortable and much easier in all respects to wear. Of course, cheaper devices will have much thinner rings. Thinner metal is both cheaper to produce and easier to bend into the required shapes.

You'll likely find that your problem doesn't have a single cause, but is a combination of many of those factors in different amounts.

dst109 and hardbodysub like this.
  12. Northy

Northy DatKittehBoy

Massachusetts Usa
    Local Time:
    This makes a lot of sense. Especially the larger ring. If this new ring is comfortable then I'll order a double or triple ring from cherry keeper! Hopefully that will fix the issue. I'll make sure to get a really fine sandpaper too and scrub it down!

I do find that it happens a lot faster in the cold/changing temperatures. I was trying to look for thermal underwear or just warmer underwear but all I find are full underbody things and they are expensive so It would be a lot to get several of them. I also looked for like a kind of warm bag that goes over the testicles like you see in drawings.

13. bondinchas

UK
    Local Time:
    Whichever way you try, it's always going to be a case of changing one factor which forces other changes, sometimes but not always beneficial. eg: Cooler = less sweat, more skin friction, warmer = more sweat, more attention to hygiene required.
    So hotter or colder might for one person increase and for another decrease skin irritation.
    As ever, everyone is different, understanding the many factors is the first step, but how they apply specifically to each individual we can only discover by trial and error.

14. hardbodysub

hardbodysub BrokeTheMold

Pennsylvania
    Local Time:
    I agree completely. There is also the issue of friction. Attempted erections push the cage out from the body and results in the base ring pushing harder against the bottom of the scrotum. This can often be mitigated by applying a good long-lasting lubricant to the area in contact with the bottom of the ring.

15. Northy

Northy DatKittehBoy

Massachusetts Usa
    Local Time:
    I know this is an old thread but I thought continuing rather than creating a new one is best.

I have gotten 2 new rings since. The most recent one seems rather comfortable. No burning on the left or right sides.
    But after about 6 hours of work I had to take my cage off and it looked like the first pic.
    A day or so later the redness set in on the second picture. I ordered this ring printed smoothly but I bought some sandpaper of different grits and I'm going to try and sand it down.

What should I try if this doesn't work?
    This is my current ring.
    (I think the head of the device is fine too but open to suggestions based on the pictures.)

Attached Files:

16. hardbodysub

hardbodysub BrokeTheMold

Pennsylvania
    Local Time:
    From the looks of that ring, it appears to me that its sides are curved too far forward. And that seems to be where your rubbing and redness are. Just my 2 cents based on nothing except what I think I see in the pictures. I think the sides should bend backward, not forward.

17. Lazlo Toth

Lazlo Toth C/D on the TomAllen-Rectrix scale: 9/9

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    5:56 AM
  18. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    For me I get a lot of irritation if the gap is to large and my ball or balls can wedge between them, I don’t have very large balls anyway so I keep the gap as small as I can. About 5mm.

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  19. BavarianWoman

BavarianWoman I rule

Reinsurance
    Munich
    Local Time:
    2:56 PM
    I think, my husbands balls are quite big, there has never been a risk of slipping through.

20. BottleRocket

BottleRocket Active member

Local Time:

I seem to be on the same journey as you. Using a metal device with same ergonomic shaped ring as you. On inspection the inside of the ring is definitely tougher than the mirror finish on the outside. Going to try polishing it with a dremel and different coarseness polishing waxes to hopefuly get it to a smooth mirror finish on the inside.

I get the same injury after 5-7 days. I know the ring is the right size for me (45mm) as the next size up (50mm) has too much gap and moves about and down my body. The gap size seems good too as any smaller and I get ball burn and any bigger allows the testicles to slip through when they try to retract.

I agree that it’s definitely worse in colder months, pretty much whenever the balls try to retract back. They crash against the bottom of the ring and that’s where the friction happens. I’ve tried silicone lube, shea butter moisturiser, Vaseline and although they help it still inevitably results in the skin becoming red and eventually breaking the skin.

Have order chamois butt’r coconut for lubrication which is an anti chaffing lube and hoping that combined with the polishing of the device elements the injury as like you we are very much working towards 24/7 caging

Attached Files:

MacKenzie1518 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice