Difference between off the shelf and custom

Discussion in 'Difficulties with wearing a device?' started by tecolote, Oct 23, 2018.

1. tecolote

tecolote Long term member

Government
    California
    Local Time:
    7:06 AM
    I have a Chinese steel cage that fits.... OK. But for long term wear, it isn't very comfortable.

I can't decide if the ring is too big or too small. It tends to slide away from my body especially when I get hard, which makes me think I need a smaller ring, but it also just hurts, making me feel like it's too small. I've worn it only for a couple days straight.

When I get hard, the cage serves to restrict me, but I still get an erection that is somewhat pushed into my body cavity. Would a custom cage help with this by being tighter around the shaft and making erections less?

I really only have the one cage. I have a couple others that are basically trash. I'm thinking of custom, but I don't want to pay the big bucks only to find out that they aren't any better than what I have

2. Adam444

Adam444 Long term member

Chicagoland, USA
    Local Time:
    10:06 AM
    It would be helpful to know which device you're wearing right now. Remember that everybody is different and what works for me, might not work for you plus every cage wears a little differently.

A properly sized tube will help with erections but it's not going to eliminate them and there will be some discomfort, especially as you get used to being caged. A "custom" device just allows you more finely adjust sizing. For example, instead of just a 45mm or 50mm you might be able to get a 47mm or a 43mm. Same with the tube.

What I might suggest is getting back with details about what you're wearing now and maybe someone can make a suggestion for another device that doesn't cost a fortune.

3. thundar

thundar Member

Professional
    East Coast
    Local Time:
    I think it's like many other things in life. If an off the shelf item fits your needs and budget, you would be foolish not to go that way. If you have specific requirements or want to get something not everyone else has then by all means treat yourself to a custom item.
    Try various inexpensive cages in order to get a firm idea of what you want and then look into custom. There are some fine crafters in the market place and each will be able to make exactly what you want provided you follow their directions and are patient. There are also "previously owned" devices for sale in Forums. If you do your homework you can sometimes find a match for you in a custom built device for a considerable savings and quick delivery

4. tecolote

Government
    California
    Local Time:
  5. Adam444

Adam444 Long term member

Chicagoland, USA
    Local Time:
    Let's start with the base ring, because that in combination with a gap at the bottom between the tube and ring is what keep you in. The base ring should be snug enough that you can just get the tip of your pinkie up to the first knuckle under it. There should should never be any swelling, cold skin, or skin discoloration. You might also consider a "anatomical," many report greater comfort for long term wear.

For the tube, current thinking is that smaller is better because it helps contain the penis and minimize (not eliminate) discomfort. The tube should be about the size of your flaccid penis. Because the penis can change size throughout the day, you'll want to measure several times.

Most people aren't lucky enough to find the perfect device the first time. Nor are most able to start wearing it 24/7. If you find yourself with irritation or hot spots, take the thing off and let your body heal.

6. JosieLynn Jewell

JosieLynn Jewell Long term member

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    So, my $.02... if the base ring feels loose and pushes away from your body, but you still have pain, the problem might be the gap from the base ring to the cage ring being too small AND the base ring being too big. My one chinese device, the 45mm ring fits great, but the gap is too small and it hurts. The 50mm ring is too loose, but the gap is big enough that there's no pain. I designed and 3D printed a ring to make that cage fit right for me...

Try wearing just the base ring for a while, and see how it feels. If there's no pain, you'll know it's the gap. Unfortunately, the cheap cages really offer very few options for fine tuning, unless you own a torch, a vice, and feel like taking a chance.

Allen1987, Peter Rabbit and Mash2214 like this.
  7. Mash2214

Mash2214 Locked today, tomorrow, forever

Business Owner, servant
    Canada
    Local Time:
    8:06 AM
    I like your way of adjusting the cage. A Torch and a Vice, you should add a disclaimer.” Remove cage before modifying with these tools.” LOL
    The nice thing about modifying a cage like this is the cost is very low and you can always order another one.

Allen1987 and JosieLynn Jewell like this.
  8. Joey love

Joey love Long term member

Local Time:
    I have a cheap Chinese I wear 24/7 with little discomfort. I started with a 50mm ring which I thought was perfect but it did slide down during erections. I went to a 45mm and that problem stopped. It was difficult to get on but NP once in place. The nighttime erections get a little tight on the base ring and causes discomfort but no chafing or or cutting. Takes a trip to bathroom to cure. Right now I’ve customized mine by using a cheap ZCLianer ring with a happygo cage on top.
    I may at some point go to a custom ring a few mms bigger. You can really get a good feel for what you need from the cheap stuff before you dish out the big bucks good luck

9. b2please

b2please A fun and powerful game!

Atlanta
    Local Time:
    I have modified a variety of the chinese devices trying to figure out my optimal fit for comfort and security. (I learned how to weld & grind & polish SS for this! haha) Over a few years, I'm surprised to see I've modified over 10 chinese devices (making them all a better length for me, and with integrated locks, and very tight fitting pins & holes- connecting the 2 parts.

It's a complicated question!
    1. If I had started by buying custom devices, I would never have been able to get the perfect sizing & fit until I got experience with each step along the way. AND, as you get accustomed to something, you can probably go smaller after some experience & your body adapting a bit to it.

2. RING size: I do think that's very personal and take some practice. For me, it's a 1.60" ID. And using jojoba oil or better yet, a blend of beeswax & jojoba thats sort of thick, helps comfort if it ever feels pinchy.

3. Ring GAP: For me, I like about a .60" RIGID (non shifting) gap between the ring & cage. Many of the chinese devices are a sloppy fit where the gap can change, and the pins are too small, and maybe you can pinch skin in the hole the pin goes into. I change out the pins to at least .125" pins, and drll the holes to get a VERY snug fit that has no room for shifting at all (talking the pins in the holes). A custom device is likely make very precise with the pins & holes.

4. Tube: I've evolved shorter over time, and found that a closed bottleneck area near the base of the tube works best for me, and a more open end. The closed base keeps my loose foreskin type skin from sticking out and gettting pinched by underwear all the time. The open end (though more rods than the model you show) helps cleanliness for sure. But enough rods to keep the head from sticking out and getting pinched.
    But there's lots of personal preference in the tube I think. If you go bigger (like the rings & dome cap chinese devices), you FEEL yourself moving around and growing a tad and stuff all the time, which can add to sexual frustration & make you think about your predicament..

If you go 1/2" shorter than flaccid, and have a bit of bottleneck in the base of the tube (like most Ms Lori devices), you will be held so snugly in all states that it's much easier to forget you have it on, and I don't feel ANY shifting around in there. And it's harder to even notice growth from arousal- during sex play or morning hard ons, I guess because there's just so little room for expansion.

But others may have different experiences.
    Hope this helps.
    It's a journey!
    But it's easy to start having amazing experiences and have fun :)

10. tecolote

Government
    California
    Local Time:
    I would have agreed with this except one morning I woke up with the cage having worked itself off of me with only one ball trapped. I tried the smaller ring once, and ended up with some swelling and pain. The way the cage is designed, the gap changes a little bit between the different rings.

I'm still not convinced that the cage is just fine and I just have to get used to it. My KH is luke warm on the cage idea, so she doesn't have me wear it much primarily because I have trouble sleeping with it on, and my restlessness keeps her awake.

11. tecolote

Government
    California
    Local Time:
    How does this work? I feel like my balls hang rather low, so the ring is never going to stay close to my body. And if the ring slides down the shaft with a super short cage, won't I just constantly be having my penis slip out of the cage on it's own?

12. tecolote

Government
    California
    Local Time:
    For the reason above, I've wondered if I would be better off with a tube with a narrow diameter so that it grips my shaft, but I have doubts if this would be wise or even work.

13. b2please

b2please A fun and powerful game!

Atlanta
    Local Time:
    Yeah, it's a balancing act for sure.
    > at .60 gap I can NEVER have a ball slip through the gap (I don't like the curved base rings, as they have a widely variable gap)
    > My base ring tends to keep my device from slipping.
    > The bottleneck with a more OPEN end results in the end taking up more room, and holding the tube there. When I take it off, I can seperate the lock, and the tube would still hang there, I have to pull it off. Ms. Lori devices use this technique because they want zero force on the PA piercings.
    > You can easily experiment with different bottleneck ID's with Insta morph plastic (Amazon) that is easily moldable at about 140 degrees. So I used to target a tube ID for no compression- at about 1.35". Now I prefer a bottleneck of say 1/2" or more that may be 1.1", so the head grows bigger than that, and it's held in place.

I currently have a thin insta morph layer inside both these tube sections. It's actually super comfortable.

upload_2018-10-24_22-54-59.png

Rectrix likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice