1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chipping?

Discussion in 'The Veterinary Center' started by permanentlychast, May 12, 2016.

1. I am curious about chipping myself. I picked up one of those Home Again chips off Amazon & am intimidated by how big needle is. Does anyone have a suggestion for self chipping? Ideally I would like it around my shoulder blade. Sadly I can't find a vet willing to help out. Thanks.

2. There's an interesting story in the Archive, written by RIchard, that takes chipping to a whole other level!

richard likes this.
  3. Hello, Thank you for that information. I am new to this site. How do I locate story archives please? It does sound like a most interesting read.

4. SubVerity

SubVerity The Mansion's own Fairy Godmother!
    Staff Member Moderator

London
    Any nurse should be able to do it if you happen to know , alternatively a place that does body piercing should be happy to help.

There's lots of ways of browsing the site, and a few ways to find what your looking for.
    All works of fiction live in the Observatory, so goto the main forum page and look for it there. Once you've found any post by Richard you can goto his profile page and search for "all threads started by" and that should give you a nice list to search through. Or try putting the word Chipping into the search box and see what comes up. :)

AlanThom likes this.
  5. richard

richard Just me
    Staff Member Moderator

6. Brilliant story @richard@richard but why did you stop!?

7. richard

richard Just me
    Staff Member Moderator

I had the idea of turning it into a novel so I wrote some prequels to it. I still have them stashed away somewhere.

maid_carrie and Jasmic68 like this.
  8. So where do you find these chips?

9. Wish I could find these on eBay or Amazon :)

Thank you for posting a most enjoyable story. Hopefully one day it will become a reality.

10. I assume you have the one time pre loaded kit cool.

Shoulder not a very good place owing to the constant movement and not a lot of flesh .
    I would go for your tummy easy to pull up a wedge of skin .
    So disinfectant swab on the skin and uncap tge needle . Push it in sort of parallel but nicely underneath the surface push the plunger to push the chip in . You will probably feel it once it's in place and then pull the needle out making sure the chip stays in .
    A clean finger or swab will soon stop any bleeding if any .
    I had a friend ages ago who used one to turn his laptop on . Had it in his wrist . If he left his desk it would shut down instantly. Or boot up as soon as he got back .soooo cool.

Xx Wendy

AlanThom likes this.
  11. That sort of application sounds wonderful. I can see it being used as a "key" to unlocking & starting up your car, opening your front door of your house etc. Do you happen to know brand name of his chip & where he got it?

For me, my initial & most personal desire would be an identification number so I can try to get myself registered on Home Again's site & eventually being able to get a dog license for myself.

My geek side would be open to getting a second chip for my paw, err hand & used in other, day to day situations.

12. Noo sorry it was quite a while ago and he went to live in Australia I think.
    Be a good idea to be able to deal with drunks . Ambulance people could scan them . If they have enough in bank account the get to ride in an ambulance . If not rope round ankle and drag them .

Xx Wendy

permanentlychast likes this.
  13. Yes, I have one of those pre-loaded ones :)

What about neck area? Or perhaps just under ears?

You bring up a possible problem. What if I don't get it exactly right & chip doesn't remain under my skin? Can I put chip back into needle & try again?

14. Nooooooo not your neck pleeeeeesssssseeeee. !!!!!!!

One end is your head the other is your body if you fxxxk up the bit in the middle your screwed big time. !!!!!!

At the moment it is sterile one use only . Especially if you use it and then say week later try to reuse it , then your open to all sorts of bugs . For the most part your skin does an amazing job of protecting your insides . However breach that protection and things can get bad.

So once only, if it goes wrong get a new one .

Xx Wendy

Jasmic68 likes this.
  15. It would be an interesting experiment to see what your body does to the foreign body you insert into it. I once got a small shard of glass in the pad of my foot. A few years later it came out of my big toe!

16. my cat has got a chip in it. :)

17. I understand what you are saying. I guess I am trying to get as much of a proper "pet" injection as possible. I can see where this is something best done by another rather than a do it to myself project.

I appreciate what you are saying about needle sterility & all. I was distracted when I said that & see now it sounds dumb. This is why I wouldn't trust myself with a needle :)

18. From what I understand (not sure how accurate it is), these chips are supposed to remain in one spot since muscle grows around them & holds them in place. Maybe they are designed that way?

19. I got one put in about 6 months ago. Registered as a Lab/Shepherd mix on the home again site, the best place to put it is right at the base of the neck off to the side, no nerves there, I had mine put in by a professional. Even in humans the chip is still scanable. The pain level putting it in, even with that BIG needle, was not that high. Just a sharp pick and it was done.

20. Here is the exact location we decided to put it in me.

Attached Files:

21. That's wonderful you actually got one put in. I would prefer it in same area as you have yours. Is there any chance your vet would be willing to put one in me? I'm in Memphis, willing to travel. Any way to chat privately about this?

22. I took me a few months to find a place, The place I found is in Northen Iowa, I really wish it was an actual vet, but I highly doubt any vet would do it. None within a 100 mile radius of me would, I've checked. It's a Tattoo and piercing shop. You have to bring the kit to them and they will do it. I was their first, their test subject so to speak, Feel free to send me a private message on here. :)

23. If you do have yourself chipped, someone has to know that you are, whether a friend, relative, partner, primary care physician. Then, they also have to know WHERE the chip is. Maybe wearing a medic-alert bracelet would be useful?
    Just being curious.

24. Need chastity alert bracelets. The snake's still wrapped around the shaft, it just has a collar on it.

AlanThom and Wendygirl like this.